PDA

View Full Version : Looking for name of item and book it's in - 3.5 Realms

Splendor
2010-01-26, 07:36 AM
Hey,

Ok I was reading a bunch of forgotten realms books tonight and I came across a stone that could hold a single spell. I think it was some kind of alchemical stone mined in a specific mountain. But I cannot for the life of me remember what book it was in or what it was called.

Something about the stone being able to hold a 1st to 3rd level spell and would release the spell when broke. Mentioned something about people would attach the stone with fireball to a blunt weapon and attack and made some comment about "better be immune to fire"...

Any help would be great... been looking for like 1/2 hour now and I'm annoyed.

Thanks!

Zom B
2010-01-26, 08:43 AM
I believe Unearthed Arcana, maybe, possibly, had a section about alternate fluff methods for potions and scrolls that included things like breakable clay tablets inscribed with the effects, a re-usable gem that was filled with the "essence" of the spell, etc.

kamikasei
2010-01-26, 08:48 AM
I believe Unearthed Arcana, maybe, possibly, had a section about alternate fluff methods for potions and scrolls that included things like breakable clay tablets inscribed with the effects, a re-usable gem that was filled with the "essence" of the spell, etc.

That'd be in Complete Arcane (possibly in addition to the source you mention). Doesn't quite match up here as a potion would have the level limit but wouldn't allow fireball, whereas a scroll wouldn't have the limit and wouldn't be usable by just anyone.

squishycube
2010-01-26, 09:23 AM
This would've been a good question for the Simple Questions by the RAW thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136877), which is now hidden in the only stickied thread in this forum. Which I think is very very unpractical, because it should prevent flooding of the forum with small threads, but because it was unstickied to keep the forum clean (I assume), it does not do that anymore. Self-defeating in my opinion.

bosssmiley
2010-01-26, 10:40 AM
Chardalyn IIRC.

These were a Netherese innovation/discovery, the raw material of which eventually got mined out in an obvious and heavy-handed allegory of fossil fuel depletion (Chardalyns being replaced by the more dangerous Heavy Magic. 'Heavy Magic?' Come off it!). It was originally introduced in the Netheril boxed set of great fail for 2E. Your best bet for 3E is probably Lost Empires of Faerun.

Thames
2010-01-26, 11:12 AM
I'll back up bosssmiley on this (the rest of you read FR more)

Lords of Darkness page 181 - it's an artifact though

Person_Man
2010-01-26, 11:23 AM
IIRC they're called Knowstones. I can't remember where they're from.

Cyclocone
2010-01-26, 11:36 AM
Bossmiley has the correct answear, they're in the Netheril: The Wizards Who Did It box-set.

First discovered at the Fluvion mining camp in 2654, Chardalyns
were naturally occurring black rocks that could contain a single
spell that was cast into them. Thus, spells like Noanar’s fireball
could be cast into a single chardalyn and then used by any creature
when needed by hurling the stone at an enemy, when the
magical fireball contained within the rock would be released.
Chardalyns were a very brittle rock that turned to a powdery
substance when hurled against a solid object (it saved as glass
versus crushing blow when used in this manner, requiring a natural
roll of 20 to resist breakage). Arcanists tried for years to
utilize this powder in some useful fashion, but nothing ever
developed.
The rocks also had a chance to absorb incoming spells that
were directed at the holder, so long as they did not yet contain a
spell (chardalyns could only contain a single spell). On a roll of
7 or less on a d12, a chardalyn would completely absorb an
incoming magical spell, storing it until later broken.
Chardalyns were highly sought-after magical storage items in
Netheril, and many arcanists went to great lengths to obtain
them. Even those who didn’t cast spells saw the use in carrying
around an assortment of the stones to protect themselves.
Toward the start of the Shadowed Age, about 10% of chardalyns
were discovered to contain an antimagic shell within them.
This was believed due to the ever-increasing amount of magic
drain spells cast by the phaerimm.

And yeah, your best bet for 3e is probably LEoF.

Darrin
2010-01-27, 12:14 AM
Chardalyn IIRC.

These were a Netherese innovation/discovery, the raw material of which eventually got mined out in an obvious and heavy-handed allegory of fossil fuel depletion (Chardalyns being replaced by the more dangerous Heavy Magic. 'Heavy Magic?' Come off it!). It was originally introduced in the Netheril boxed set of great fail for 2E. Your best bet for 3E is probably Lost Empires of Faerun.

Yep, Chardalyn.

It's a non-magical rock that can store a spell indefinitely, break it and it casts the spell. It's mentioned several times in Lost Empires of Faerun, but the stats for it aren't in there. It's listed as an artifact in Lords of Darkness, but no prices are given. What you're looking for is on the 3rd page of the Web Enhancement for the Silver Marches (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020719a).

There are three varieties: 1,000 gp (up to 3rd-level spell), 3,500 gp (up to
6th-level spell), 8,000 gp (up to 9th-level spell).

Note: You might want to take a look at the Shalantha's Delicate Disk spell in Lost Empires of Faerun. Store a spell inside a 200 GP ceramic disk, break the disk to release the spell.

I'm currently harassing my PCs with a doppelganger wizard who uses a bunch of these disks in elaborate Rube-Goldberg-style traps. The Daltim's Fiery Tentacles + Acid Fog was despicably evil. The doppelganger also has a piece of chardalyn, but I haven't quite figured out what to do with it yet.