PDA

View Full Version : damage bonus of a stoneskin'd dwarf being powerbombed...

Malbordeus
2010-01-26, 08:36 AM
title says it all, i just wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas of the damage dealt to a character who has a dwarf (with stoneskin cast on it) powerbombed into him/her. just incase it comes up again in a game i'm running...

dariathalon
2010-01-26, 08:47 AM
I would probably treat it as a special case of the falling object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#fallingObjects)rules. Since I don't think stone skin actually makes the dwarf any heavier, use his/her base weight. Maybe add a die or two for the "object" being particularly hard and to encourage the cool idea, but that would be completely optional and not really supported by the rules.

Also, don't forget that the dwarf has just fallen the same distance, so he should probably be taking some damage from that, though his stone skin should protect some from it. (The rules for falling people are right above the falling object rules I linked earlier.) You might also give him the ability to use tumble or some other special abilities to reduce the damage he takes, though to me it seems like if he reduced the damage he took he'd also run the risk of reducing the damage the other person took. You should probably give him the first die as nonlethal also, since I think knocking over a person would count as a yielding surface. Hitting the person first will slow him down some before hitting the main problem, the ground.

Starbuck_II
2010-01-26, 09:09 AM
Stoneskin acts like DR so it won't protect vs falling damage.

This line cinces it:
"It ignores the first 10 points of damage each time it takes damage from a weapon, though an adamantine weapon bypasses the reduction."

squishycube
2010-01-26, 09:12 AM
... though to me it seems like if he reduced the damage he took he'd also run the risk of reducing the damage the other person took.

Newton says (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_laws_of_motion#Newton.27s_third_law:_la w_of_reciprocal_actions) it does not only seem that way, it is that way.

dariathalon
2010-01-26, 09:29 AM
Newton says (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_laws_of_motion#Newton.27s_third_law:_la w_of_reciprocal_actions) it does not only seem that way, it is that way.

Yeah, but with the rather ambiguous nature of hit points this may not be the case. Both bodies may be acting on each other with opposite forces, but if the dwarf is able to twist his body around so that it isn't going to effect him as much then he'll probably end up down fewer hp. (For example, the dwarf ends up hitting his shoulder against the human he fell on applying most of the weight to the human's neck. I think the human would end up a lot worse off hp-wise than the dwarf.

Lysander
2010-01-26, 09:32 AM
I don't think Stoneskin would increase the damage from being hit by the dwarf. It doesn't increase a person's weight or density, it just makes their skin tougher. If that was the case the spell's subject should also gain a slam attack, and that doesn't happen.

How much does a dwarf weigh anyhow, plus armor and other equipment? the dwarf would actually take a little bit less damage than their target, because (in DnD at least) when someone falls they only take damage based on distance. When something falls on somebody they take damage based on distance and weight.

It'd be 1d6 damage/200lbs + 1d6 damage/10ft to the target, and just 1d6 damage/10ft to the dwarf. Plus if you deliberately jump the first 1d6 of damage to the dwarf would be non-lethal, and a successful jump/tumble check would lets you avoid the first 1d6 damage entirely and make the second 1d6 non-lethal.

So let's say your dwarf is 200-300lbs with armor and jumps 30ft and makes their jump check. They'd take 1d6 non-lethal + 1d6 lethal, their target would take 4d6 lethal damage. Not too shabby.

Now you need to figure out the attack roll. Maybe just count is as a downward charge + grapple initiation?

Person_Man
2010-01-26, 09:53 AM
I think the spell you're looking for is Iron Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ironbody.htm), which increases your weight by a factor of 10. (I think there's a way to get Iron Body through a PrC or Binder or something, if you don't want to be a Cleric or Wizard).

You'd still take normal falling damage, but whatever you land on takes damage based on your weight. Complete Warrior has the rules for throwing heavy objects, courtesy of the Hulking Hurler. IIRC, it's 5d6 for 500lbs + 1d6 for every additional 200 lbs.

Malbordeus
2010-01-26, 05:17 PM
interesting,

what had actually happened in game was, the dwarf had been picked up by a drowned dead, and thrown into the party sorceror... in the end i decided the dwarf counted as an improvised weapon. guess that teaches me to use world wrestling zombies... i guess falling damage might be a better way of handling it when it comes up again though. :smallwink: