PDA

View Full Version : An odd network setup question

Setra
2010-01-26, 09:30 AM
Okay, so basically.. I am trying to get two networks setup between a house, and a trailer in the backyard of the house.

There is already a network in the house, but we want to try and get internet for the trailer.

What would be the best method for this? My original thought was just to have two seperate networks, each with their own modem and router.. but I think we might be charged.

I was thinking of setting up a very long ethernet cable from the house to the trailer with a router on the end, but the distance is about 150 feet and I can't find Ethernet cables that long..

We tried getting a very expensive wireless router but the signal just isn't strong enough.

Archonic Energy
2010-01-26, 09:36 AM
Okay, so basically.. I am trying to get two networks setup between a house, and a trailer in the backyard of the house.

There is already a network in the house, but we want to try and get internet for the trailer.

What would be the best method for this? My original thought was just to have two seperate networks, each with their own modem and router.. but I think we might be charged.

I was thinking of setting up a very long ethernet cable from the house to the trailer with a router on the end, but the distance is about 150 feet and I can't find Ethernet cables that long..

We tried getting a very expensive wireless router but the signal just isn't strong enough.

Cat5 works up to 100m
looking around i don't see any 150Ft cables, but you could buy a reel, some Cat5 ends, and a crimper.
run 2 through 150ft of garden hose for protection and go from there...

Jack Squat
2010-01-26, 09:54 AM
here's (http://www4.shopping.com/xPO-Trippe-149-ft-UTP-Patch-Cable-N001-150-GY) a 150 ft cable, though the reel idea is better IMO, since you don't know the exact distance you'll need.

Also, I'd bury it in pvc, not a garden hose, but that's mostly just personal preference. Either way, you'll want to bury it below the frost line. Around here, a 24" depth works well for the worst we'll get, up north you'll have to go deeper. Burying below the frost line will keep the pvc from becoming brittle and cracking, which would allow water to get around the wire - not good.

Mando Knight
2010-01-26, 09:55 AM
Long-range cantenna (buy it or make your own) hooked up to a second, short-range router? Upgrade the primary router to one with 100m-range?

Setra
2010-01-26, 09:57 AM
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208287935&listingid=24329940 Turns out googling cables is better than just looking it up on bestbuy.com

If I got this, would I still need the hose/pvc, you think?

Long-range cantenna (buy it or make your own) hooked up to a second, short-range router? Upgrade the primary router to one with 100m-range?
How do those work? I tried looking them up but in general the information was.. confusing to me. Would I just hook it up to the router and the signal be boosted?

Archonic Energy
2010-01-26, 10:10 AM

... i guess not.
though i'd be tempted to do it just for the added protection.

KuReshtin
2010-01-26, 10:16 AM
So, what would be the point of buying a PINK ethernet cable if you're just going to end up burying it in the garden?

Sorry, but that was my initial thought when I clicked on that link. I already know a viable answer, but still.

Jack Squat
2010-01-26, 10:19 AM
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208287935&listingid=24329940 Turns out googling cables is better than just looking it up on bestbuy.com

Can't say if you need it or not, depends on building codes in your area. I'd stick it in PVC anyways, but it's probably not essential.

It's going to be more cost effective to get a non-weather proof wire ($20 for 200ft) and pvc (~$1.25/10 ft, plus connectors & glue) though.

How do those work? I tried looking them up but in general the information was.. confusing to me. Would I just hook it up to the router and the signal be boosted?

A cantenna is a directional antenna. How they work is basically instead of sending your signal in every direction at a set power, it sends it all in one direction. Because radio waves will combine and give a greater power, as well as you just having a larger antenna area in general, you get better distance and better reception.

You would have to hook it up to the wireless card in place of the normal antenna - a lot harder for ones with internal antennas than external ones.