PDA

View Full Version : Quick question (Can't find my DMG)

Hiest, monkey
2010-01-26, 10:58 AM
Sorry to bother everyone, but I can't remember the rule as to the max CR a maount can have. I think it's something like 2 or 3 CR below the ECL of your character.

olelia
2010-01-26, 11:00 AM
As far as I'm aware a mount can be of any level. Certain builds actually have mounts higher then the character. Now a cohort on the other hand does have a level restriction.

Cohort Level
The character can attract a cohort of up to this level. Regardless of a character’s Leadership score, he can only recruit a cohort who is two or more levels lower than himself. The cohort should be equipped with gear appropriate for its level. A character can try to attract a cohort of a particular race, class, and alignment. The cohort’s alignment may not be opposed to the leader’s alignment on either the law-vs-chaos or good-vs-evil axis, and the leader takes a Leadership penalty if he recruits a cohort of an alignment different from his own.

Hiest, monkey
2010-01-26, 11:06 AM
I'm like 99% sure that there was a rule to keep first level characters from riding dire bats.

It only applies for unusual mounts, like, say, dire wolves.

lsfreak
2010-01-26, 11:11 AM
The fact that they can't afford them would be the limit (assuming there's even a price somewhere). No level-based rules, except for cohorts/animal companions.

olelia
2010-01-26, 11:12 AM
I know when I was playing in living campaigns at conventions there were built in rules to prevent it. But as far as limits per the rules I've seen, searching through the srd at least.

Rear a wild animal 15 + HD of animal

Rear a Wild Animal
To rear an animal means to raise a wild creature from infancy so that it becomes domesticated. A handler can rear as many as three creatures of the same kind at once.

A successfully domesticated animal can be taught tricks at the same time it’s being raised, or it can be taught as a domesticated animal later.

So using the dire bat as an example it would be a DC 19 handle animal check to start the process then you would have to teach it tricks past that part.