PDA

View Full Version : ToS Exhibition: SurlySeraph vs. Tanaric

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 03:17 PM
Buffs: Does all days + four rounds work for you?

Map: How about the good old River? Do note we start with line of sight to each other on this one.
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/4343/arena2i.gif

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 03:22 PM
I prefer columns, but that's fine.

Four buff rounds, huh? Not quite sure what to do with them, but okay. :smalltongue:

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 03:25 PM
Buffs:Four days or more:Contingency: Activate Energy Immunity when I would be the subject or would be included in the area of an attack, spell, or effect that deals energy damage.

Also, Death Pact from scroll, though this is actually permanent.

Three days:Cast Adept Spirit. Activate Bead of Karma. Cast Magic Tattoo. Cast Sonorous Hum from scroll, cast Harmonic Chorus from scroll. Cast Eagle's Splendor. Persist Suffer the Flesh. Heal ability damage with wand of lesser restoration. Bring toad to negatives with cantrips, spam Death Knell until it fails the save: [roll0][roll1][roll2], needs three 20s to survive. Drink Terran Brandy. Activate Adept Spirit.

Extended Heart of X line.
Extended Greater Luminous Armor.
Extended Scales of the Sealord.
Extended Clarity of Mind.
Extended Warding Gems.

Two days:Cast Adept Spirit. Activate Bead of Karma. Cast Magic Tattoo. Cast Eagle's Splendor. Persist Suffer the Flesh. Heal any ability damage remaining. Activate Adept Spirit.

Extended Overland Flight.
Extended Superior Resistance.
Extended Anticipate Teleportation.

All day:Cast Adept Spirit. Activate Bead of Karma. Cast Magic Tattoo. Cast Eagle's Splendor. Persist Suffer the Flesh. Heal any ability damage. Activate Adept Spirit.

Heroes' Feast for [roll3] temp hp.

Evacuation Rune on rubber ball.
Mind Blank from scroll.
Persistent Bite of the Weretiger.
Persistent Scintillating Scales from scroll.
Persistent Wraithstrike from scroll.
Persistent Eyes of the Oracle.
Persistent Surge of Fortune.
Persistent Karmic Aura.
Persistent Karmic Backlash.
Persistent Karmic Retribution.
Persistent Divine Power.
Cast Adept Spirit again.

Rounds:Cast Superior Invisibility from scroll. Cast Greater Mirror Image for [roll4] images.
Cast Extended True Seeing.
Cast Sheltered Vitality.
Cast Extended Deathward. Activate Adept Spirit.

Initiative: [roll5]

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 03:32 PM
Too many buffs rounds for a gish? Clearly my build is weirder than I thought. Anyway...

Buffs
All day: in Hunter's Sense stance. Contingency: Wings of Cover when someone other than myself targets me with a spell, melee or ranged attack, or psionic power.
Round 1: Freedom of Movement. Quicken SLA: Protection from Elements.
Round 2: Improved Blink. Quicken SLA: Invisibility.
Round 3: Quicken SLA: Decastave. Apply Oil of GMW +5
Round 4: Potion of Haste. Activate Death Devotion.

I'll start on the right.
Starting location:
Y10

Initiative: [roll0]

Your move.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 03:39 PM
I have True Seeing active. What do I see?

And what are your vision modes, for that matter?

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 03:43 PM
You see a large, bald, blindfolded, and heavily scarred man in Y10. He has wings protruding from his back and is clutching a staff.

Vision modes: scent, Blindsight 60'.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 03:48 PM
You don't see anything currently.

You feel something trying to rip away your defenses.

Dispel checks:[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Not done. Any changes?

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 03:54 PM
You no longer need True Seeing to see him, and the staff in his hands vanishes. Oh, and I forget to mention that he's blinking in and out. Which he is still doing.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 03:56 PM
In that case, misschance vs Blink: [roll0] 1-20 indicates that my dispel missed you.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 03:58 PM
OO:Fly to L-10 +5.

Turn done.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 03:59 PM
...I forgot that Blink could do that. Glorious victory! Proceed with your turn.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 04:02 PM
Ah, turn done.

The scarred man, still blinking in and out and waving his staff jubilantly because Blink is the best spell ever, flies to N10 (+5 elevation). Are you within 60 feet of him at any point during that movement, and if so, does Blindsight detect you? Are you within 30 feet of him at any point during that movement, and if so does Scent detect you?

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 04:04 PM
I believe my dispel still hit you, actually, unless your blink somehow had a greater than 20% misschance with my True Seeing.

You don't detect me at any point.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 04:06 PM
Sorry, you're correct. In that case, the man conjures another staff and drinks a potion.

OO:
Decastave with Quickened SLA, potion of Armor of Faith +5.

EDIT: And I forget the speed restriction caused by Blink, so he only moves to P10.

Your turn.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 04:08 PM
I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Dave.

Have another bout of dispelling.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Miss: [roll10]

Ugh, what horrible dispel checks. Any change?

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 04:12 PM
Note to self: Buy caster level increasers and Rings of Counterspelling.

The man's staff vanishes again, and he stops blinking.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 04:14 PM
OO:Move to P-10+10.

Oracle Readied action: Counterspell.

Done.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 04:19 PM
Looking annoyed, the man swigs another potion and draws a sword. "Why are you destroy Cznim's magic?" he demands in a thick accent. "It is make fight much less eenteresting."

Still flying, he moves over to H10, and move up to +10 elevation. Same question with Blindsight and Scent applies as before.

OO
Elixir of Vision

Done.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 04:23 PM
I say something in return, but you can't hear it. Pity, because it was a zinger.

OO:Cast Enlarge Weapon on morningstar, then fling a necrotic skull bomb at H-10+10.

A humanoid skull flies out of P-10 +10 elevation, then explodes when it reaches your square. Fort save or [roll0] negative levels.

Turn isn't complete.

Edit: Fixed spoilertags. :smallyuk:

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 04:26 PM
Fort save: [roll0]

Necrotic Skull Bomb, I presume?

EDIT: Oh, and I need to go to practice now. I'll be back around 7 PM.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 04:29 PM
Yes indeedy.

OO:Fly to H-10 +15

Oracle readied action: Counterspell.

Done.

Edit: You made the save, by the way.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 05:08 PM
I just realized that I forgot to cast one of my all day buffs. Are you opposed to me adding it in retroactively at this point? I have it prepared, I just forgot to cast it.

Edit: And which knowledge skill would apply to identifying your character?

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 07:52 PM
...I'm unlikely to win this, so go ahead and use your full capacity. I forget a trick I have that might have stopped the Dispels from going through, but at this point I want to see what my character can do to save himself in a situation like this.

And Knowledge (religion) would apply to my character; you know what that means. I hoped to throw you off by making an unnecessary Fort save, but so much for that.

Anyway, actions.

"You must be very tiny man to hide so well," Cznim observes. Flying towards where the skull came from, he adds "Come out, tiny man! I vill find you!"

Cznim flies up to P-10 +10 elevation. If he detects you via 60' blindsight or 30' scent:
And if he's within 30 feet, Wings of Flurry. If he's more than 30' away, take a second action to approach his position.

If not: Ready an action to cast Stinking Cloud the next time he sees something come out of a square.

Done.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 07:55 PM
OO:Kn. Religion for Knowledge Devotion: [roll0]

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 07:57 PM
Something large and spiky hits you in the back of the head as you start to move. Hopefully, anyway.

[roll0] vs flatfooted touch AC, for [roll1] damage.

Does that hit, and do you continue your other actions?

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 08:06 PM
No, it does not hit me.

Reason (Open if you can make a DC 17 spellcraft check):
Immediate action to cast Wings of Cover.

Oh, and can I see where it came from? If so, it triggers my readied action.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 08:07 PM
It, like the rest of my stuff, is completely invisible.

I auto pass that spellcraft.

I'm generous though, so I'll give you direction. Higher than your starting location, directly above you.

Edit: Wait. You can't take immediate actions while flatfooted.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 08:11 PM
Excellent. My readied action goes off, creating a Stinking Cloud centered 15 feet above my head. DC 18 Fortitude save vs. nausea.

EDIT: "A character who has not yet acted during a combat is flat-footed, not yet reacting normally to the situation." I've acted, so unless you have an ability that renders me flat-footed I think I can cast it.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 08:21 PM
If you’re successfully hidden with respect to another creature, that creature is flat-footed with respect to you. That creature treats you as if you were invisible (see page 76).

An attacker gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls against opponents that can't see it. Opponents are denied their Dexterity bonuses to AC against an invisible attacker's attacks.

Whitetext.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 08:24 PM
Yes, but does being flat-footed with respect to you make me flat-footed on an absolute scale, and thus unable to cast Wings of Cover? I can accept that it would make me incapable of casting Wings of Cover against you, in which case I'll take the damage and we can proceed.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 08:26 PM
You're only flatfooted in regards to my attacks. You're flatfooted on an absolute scale before combat begins, and thereafter against creatures that you haven't detected.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 08:28 PM
Then I'll take the damage and you can continue with your turn.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 08:29 PM
It's actually an AoO on your turn, caused by moving. Your actions are up in the air after that, I believe.

Edit: You get whacked after your first step. Or... wingbeat, as the case may be.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 08:37 PM
Ah. Ethereal with a Ghost Touch Weapon, are you? In that case, rather than my planned actions I'll take a five-foot step up and cast Wings of Flurry (I'm sure you can make the Spellcraft check).

[roll0] force damage, Reflex save DC 19 for half, if you fail the save you're dazed for one round.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 08:41 PM
I'm pretty sure Ghost Touch doesn't let you reach back from the ethereal plane. And even if it did, I wouldn't be able to throw skulls across the planes. :smalltongue:

Also, I'm kicking myself for forgetting Forceward.

Reflex: [roll0]

Is that it for your turn, then?

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 08:44 PM
Yep, that's it for me. Your turn.

EDIT: "Essentially, a ghost touch weapon counts as either corporeal or incorporeal at any given time, whichever is more beneficial to the wielder." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#ghostTouchWeapon)

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 09:05 PM
Incorporeality isn't the same as being ethereal, though.

OO:5-ft up, full attack.

Two heavy blows rain down on you.

[roll0] vs flatfooted touch for [roll1]
[roll2] vs flatfooted touch for [roll3]

OO:Oracle readied action: Feeblemind if he casts a spell in my direction.

Done.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 09:16 PM
Alright then. Cznim vanishes from view. Spellcraft DC 20 to know that it's
Teleport.

OO:
Casting Teleport defensively to go to Z1, at the bottom of the river.

Concentration check: [roll0]

Chance of mishap (below 77 is on target): [roll1]

Done.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 09:18 PM
I auto-pass that spellcraft.

I also have Anticipate Teleportation up. Where will you be arriving?

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 09:20 PM
Z1, at the bottom of the river.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 09:24 PM
OO:Double move + Abrupt Jaunt to Y-2 +10.

Oracle readied action: Feeblemind if I am the target of a hostile spell.

And your turn resumes with you arriving in Z-1, unaware of the delay. Anything else, or is that your turn?

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 09:25 PM
That's my turn. Morituro te saluo. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Oh, except one thing.

OO
Cznim's taking his blindfold off. I doubt it'll help, but might as well.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 09:34 PM
OO:Lightning Leap in a line that hits Z-1. I end up in Y-1, river bottom.

Oracle readied action: Bands of steel if he performs any hostile action.

A line of lightning streaks down from the sky, striking the riverbed at Z-1. Take [roll0] electric damage, reflex half.

Done.

Edit: Oh hell, that was a bad idea. You see the water displaced around a medium sized form in Y-1, riverbed level.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 09:39 PM
Actually, that was a good idea. If your unfindability prevents me from using Wings of Cover, I am probably now dead.

OO
I'd use Wings of Cover if allowed, but I presume I can't. So I'll use Action Before Thought.

Save: [roll0]

Why the hell did I decide to end my turn there instead of using my move action?

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 09:40 PM
You save. Your turn.

Please post it in sections though, as I reserve the right to interrupt it whenever you do something I don't want you to. :smalltongue:

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 09:42 PM
I have failed to find anything on my sheet that lets me survive that even if I make the save. Good game.

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 09:44 PM
Good game.

If I might suggest, find a way to get True Seeing.

I just ran around with Superior Invisibility on, which stops scent, blindsight, and normal vision with equal ease.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 09:48 PM
I hate that spell. Especially because I never remember that it exists.

Yeah, my priorities are to 1) get True Seeing, 2) get a counterspelling item because my buffs are all easily dispelled, and 3) remember to use all the abilities I have. I spent a while finding ways to mess with the action economy, and I barely used them at all.

And to fix a mistake on my sheet I just noticed. Do you know of any good defensive spells that happen to be 5th-level and Conjuration, Evocation, or Necromancy?

Tanaric
2010-01-26, 09:59 PM
Um... Death Throes?

Though I doubt you want to die for your "defense" to come into play. :smalltongue:

Lord of the Sky might count for Evocation defenses... I guess.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 10:12 PM
Bah, I'll put Lord of the Sky on as a placeholder until I find something. Thanks.