PDA

View Full Version : Wands

TheLogman
2010-01-26, 08:14 PM
If I take a single level of Cleric, and then, say, 5 levels of Wizard, as far as I understand it, I can use any wand of a spell that either Wizard or Cleric has on their spell lists, as long as I can afford it, even if I didn't have the level to cast that spell or I didn't know it?

Given of course that wands can only be of 4th level or lower.

Ernir
2010-01-26, 08:16 PM
Yup.

Make that a Cleric with the Magic Domain, and you don't even need the Wizard levels. :smalltongue:

tyckspoon
2010-01-26, 08:17 PM
You can do it in one level of Cleric with the Magic domain, if you want; Wands don't care about your caster level at all, just that you have the spell on your list (even if you don't actually cast yet- 1st level Paladins and Rangers can use wands of their spells.) And yes, they also don't care whether or not you know the spell- Sorcerers can use wands from the entire Sorcerer list without blowing Spells Known slots.

Thurbane
2010-01-26, 08:18 PM
Yep, anyone with so much as a single level in a class can use a wand of any spell on that classes list - even if your casting stat is below 10, and even if you're not high enough level to cast spells in that class (like a 1st level paladin).

Darrin
2010-01-26, 08:31 PM
Planar Touchstone feat (Planar Handbook) linked to the Catalogues of Enlightenment allows you to pick up the Magic domain ability without taking any levels of cleric or wizard. Requires 8 ranks of Knowledge: the Planes.

Fizban
2010-01-26, 11:15 PM
There's also a Forgotten Realms feat that let's you pick a class and use wands as if you had a level in it. Ignore the regional prerequisite.