PDA

View Full Version : template question

Soranar
2010-01-26, 09:07 PM
looking for a low LA template (1 or possibly 2 if it's really worth it)

that adds either DEX and/or INT and/or WIS

anything that lower these scores should be disregarded

trying to make a dex based swordsage/rogue/swashbuckler

Xenogears
2010-01-26, 09:12 PM
Are races okay or only templates? Most templates I know of are atleast +2-3.
If races are okay you can get Greensnake Naga from OA. They get bonus to every stat except Cha, natural armor, telepathy with other Naga, and females can alter self into a human form.

Soranar
2010-01-26, 09:15 PM
races are not ok for various fluff questions and favored classes (unless there's one with swashbuckler?)

and yeah, nothing above +2

sofawall
2010-01-26, 09:19 PM
Winged is decent. Gives wings, oddly enough, and some stats.

Soranar
2010-01-26, 09:22 PM
source for wings?

Starbuck_II
2010-01-26, 09:24 PM
source for wings?

Savage Species. It gives wings (maneuverability based on Dex).

Douglas
2010-01-26, 09:25 PM
source for wings?
Savage Species.

Phrenic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm) is decent.

Xenogears
2010-01-26, 09:36 PM
Half-Fey have +dex, wis, and cha. Although -Con. Gain some Spell-Like abilities as their HD increase and immunity to enchantment spells and effects. Oh and pretty little butterfly wings.

PrismaticPIA
2010-01-26, 09:43 PM
'Unseelie Fey' from Dragon Compendium

'Dark' from Tomb of Magic

'Half-Minotua'r from Dragon Magazine #313

'Saint' from Book of Exalted Deeds

Catfolk from....Race of the Wild?

Dragonborn of Bahamut (via ritual) from Races of Dragon

Dragonborn

Draconic Creature

The list goes on.

Soranar
2010-01-26, 09:43 PM
isn't savage species 3.0, I just noticed that

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-26, 09:47 PM

If it hasn't been reprinted it or errata'ed it is usable with 3.5

Xenogears
2010-01-26, 09:48 PM
'Unseelie Fey' from Dragon Compendium

'Dark' from Tomb of Magic

'Half-Minotua'r from Dragon Magazine #313

'Saint' from Book of Exalted Deeds

Catfolk from....Race of the Wild?

Dragonborn of Bahamut (via ritual) from Races of Dragon

Dragonborn

Draconic Creature

The list goes on.

I know for a fact the Dragonborn of Bahamut take a Dex penalty so those are an invalid choice. Saint you need to be higher lvl to get and is like being a paladin on morality crack so prolly also a no go. The rest I am unsure about but IIRC Half-Minotaur prolly penalizes either Dex or Int or Both.

sofawall
2010-01-26, 09:49 PM

If it isn't reprinted in 3.5, it is explicitly legal for 3.5 play. WotC was very clear on that. Since most of Savage Species was never reprinted or errata'd or even updated, it remains just as legal as Complete Warrior, for example.

Bibliomancer
2010-01-26, 09:52 PM
If it isn't reprinted in 3.5, it is explicitly legal for 3.5 play. WotC was very clear on that. Since most of Savage Species was never reprinted or errata'd or even updated, it remains just as legal as Complete Warrior, for example.

Hasn't Complete Warrior been reprinted? I thought I saw a recently printed copy (3.5).

PrismaticPIA
2010-01-26, 09:57 PM
I know for a fact the Dragonborn of Bahamut take a Dex penalty so those are an invalid choice. Saint you need to be higher lvl to get and is like being a paladin on morality crack so prolly also a no go. The rest I am unsure about but IIRC Half-Minotaur prolly penalizes either Dex or Int or Both.

I forget to read all the the OP's thread before posting...whoops.

'Dark' is a rogue's wet dream. No stat bonus, by you get +8 to hide, +10 to movement, and my personal favorite HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT.

sofawall
2010-01-26, 10:01 PM
Hasn't Complete Warrior been reprinted? I thought I saw a recently printed copy (3.5).

Complete Warrior is 3.5. That's exactly the point I was trying to make.

Xenogears
2010-01-26, 10:23 PM
I forget to read all the the OP's thread before posting...whoops.

'Dark' is a rogue's wet dream. No stat bonus, by you get +8 to hide, +10 to movement, and my personal favorite HIDE IN PLAIN SIGHT.

Yeah it's a nice template but if his character is going more for the dex-focused combatant aspect then the sneaking one it might not fit.

From your list catfolk seems the best fit (though I don't know what they get high dex seems likely and int and wis penalties are possible but not horrendously likely...)

I still like the idea of the Half-Fey now that I've suggested it. Nothing like a brave swashbuckling hero with pretty butterfly wings.

Though most people seem to want less silliness in their games then I do...

sofawall
2010-01-26, 10:44 PM
Yeah it's a nice template but if his character is going more for the dex-focused combatant aspect then the sneaking one it might not fit.

From your list catfolk seems the best fit (though I don't know what they get high dex seems likely and int and wis penalties are possible but not horrendously likely...)

I still like the idea of the Half-Fey now that I've suggested it. Nothing like a brave swashbuckling hero with pretty butterfly wings.

I live for silly and lulz.

PrismaticPIA
2010-01-26, 10:47 PM

Catfolk have no stat penalties. They get +4 dex +2 chr, base speed 40ft, +2 to listen and move silently, and +1 nat armor.

LA +1

Soranar
2010-01-26, 10:51 PM
Catfolk have no stat penalties. They get +4 dex +2 chr, base speed 40ft, +2 to listen and move silently, and +1 nat armor.

LA +1

catfolk is a race, not a template

PrismaticPIA
2010-01-26, 10:57 PM
catfolk is a race, not a template

I really need to read the OP before I post ^.^;

'Dark' and 'Unseelie Fey' are still really good bets.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-26, 11:00 PM
a race with LA+1

2xMachina
2010-01-27, 04:20 AM
He probably wants a Template because he has a good race he wants. (Heh, I like Thri Keen.)

For +4 Dex, +2Wis, there's Winged and Insectile. Choose x2+20 Fly speed with Perfect Maneuverability at 17 or x1 Climb speed, +4 arms, +2 NArmor, Tremorsense, Wide Vision.

Personally, I really like Insectile.