PDA

View Full Version : Kalamarin a 3.5 Player Race [PEACH]

Strudel110
2010-01-26, 10:31 PM
Kalamarin
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab277/Strudel110/Kalamarin.jpg
Most kalamarin are the descendants of fishersmen, adventurers, and traders.
They have a tedancy to be unpredictable and curious, traits that often get them in trouble. Kalamarin live near the shore in port towns open to all races, but just as often they live in other races cities or on the road. They have a lifespan of roughly 350 years, but don't suffer from the slowness and calm of other long lived races, for better or for worse.

Personality: Kalamarin have strived to learn as much as possible about the world and other cultures, ever since their uprising against their Sahaguin masters. Kalamarin ten to be moody, but not angsty (such behavior is considered ill-humored and childish) and enjoy jokes both spoken and practical, they are also quite witty often going head to head with halflings in games of riddles.

Physical Description: Kalamarin are 4'10" to a
6 feet tall and weigh from 115 to 200 pounds. Kalamarins exhibit traits of squids and humanoids and are amphibious, one of the most noticable traits of kalamarins is their color changing skin, often shifting and changing with mood or preference, it allows them to blend in with their surroundings. Kalamarins have four arms with three fingered hands, their arms are very flexible and strong. They have a vastly different bone structure from humans and aren't as sturdy, they can however regrow lost limbs over a period of a few months.

Relations: Kalamarins tend to get along swimmingly with other races, most noticably halflings and elves due to somewhat similar personality traits and the kalamarins interest in learning of other cultures. Their natural enemies are Sahaguin, due to their previous enslavement.

Alignment: usually Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral

Religion: Kalamarin do not have a specific religion of their own, rather they worship gods of the other races, some favorites are Corellon Larethian, Fharlanghn, and Olidammara.

Language: Common and Aquan, kalamarins often learn languages such as Elven, Dwarven, and Draconic

Names: They enjoy names from other languages whether or not it's a name of a different gender,examples are: Lia, Mialee, Quarion, Aust, Rurik, Ilde, Jarek, etc.

Adventurers: In Kalamarin society adventuring is a well respected occupation, kalamarins are frequently overcome with wanderlust and are naturally good fighters due to their natural physiqe and jobs as fishermen. They tend to keep party morale high with their antics and occasional humorous ignorance.

KALAMARIN RACIAL TRAITS +2 STR, +2 DEX, -2 CON,
Medium: As Medium creatures, kalamarin have no special bonuses
or penalties due to their size.
Kalamarin base land speed is 30 feet. Kalamarin are amphibious and gain a +8 racial bonus on swim checks, and can always chose to take 10, their swim speed is 30 feet.
Kalamarin have ...

Four Arms!!!

Fast Healing 1: At the beginning of each of the creature’s turns, it heals 1 hit point. A kalamarin that has taken both nonlethal and lethal damage heals the nonlethal damage first. Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation. Fast healing does not increase the number of hit points regained when a creature polymorphs. Lost limbs regrow over a period of 1d4 months.

Natural Camouflage: If a kalamarin remains in one place, they may naturally change color to hide their location as a full-round action, and gain concealment (confers 20% chance to miss), and the ability to make Hide checks, even when being directly observed, as long as they don't move from that location.

Level Adjustment +2

Favored Class: Fighter, though they are also known to become rogues. When determining whether a multiclass kalamarin takes an experience point penalty, her fighter class levels do not count.

FIXED!

Obrysii
2010-01-26, 10:54 PM
Like the picture, but ...

KALAMARIN RACIAL TRAITS +1 STR, +1 CHA, -2 CON,

Has to be even numbers. Str +2, Con -2, Cha +2. Why are they charismatic?

Kalamarin base land speed is 30 feet. Kalamarin are amphibious, their swim speed is 30 feet.

Do they have the Amphibious subtype, meaning they have Water Breathing? You should also add a note that they gain the standard +8 racial bonus on swim checks, and can always chose to take 10.

The rest of the race looks good, but I'd give them a bonus to Dex or a bonus to Escape Artist and bump them up to LA +1.

I'd do Str +2, Dex +2, Con -2, Cha +2 and LA +1, but keeping the rest.

Edit: Also, you mention they have color-changing skin but make no mention of it in their ability writeup.

Temotei
2010-01-26, 10:55 PM
Kalamarin
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab277/Strudel110/Kalamarin.jpg
Most kalamarin are the descendants of fishersmen, adventurers, and traders.
They have a tedancy to be unpredictable and curious, traits that often get them in trouble. Kalamarin live near the shore in port towns open to all races, but just as often they live in other races cities or on the road. They have a lifespan of roughly 350 years, but don't suffer from the slowness and calm of other long lived races, for better or for worse.
Personality: Kalamarin have strived to learn as much as possible about the world and other cultures, ever since their uprising against their Sahaguin masters. Kalamarin ten to be moody, but not angsty (such behavior is considered ill-humored and childish) and enjoy jokes both spoken and practical, they are also quite witty often going head to head with halflings in games of riddles.
Physical Description: Kalamarin are 4'10" to a
6 feet tall and weigh from 115 to 200 pounds. Kalamarins exhibit traits of squids and humanoids and are amphibious, one of the most noticable traits of kalamarins is their color changing skin, often shifting and changing with mood or preference it allows them to blend in with their surroundings. Kalamarins have four arms with three fingered hands, their arms are very flexible and strong. They have a vastly different bone structure from humans and aren't as sturdy, they can however regrow lost limbs over a period of 1d4 months.
Relations: Kalamarins tend to get along swimmingly with other races, most noticably halflings and elves due to somewhat similar personality traits and the kalamarins interest in learning of other cultures. Their natural enemies are Sahaguin, due to their previous enslavement.
Alignment: usually Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral
Religion: Kalamarin do not have a specific religion of their own, rather they worship gods of the other races, some favorites are Corellon Larethian, Fharlanghn, and Olidammara.
Language: Common and Aquan, kalamarins often learn languages such as Elven, Dwarven, and Draconic
Names: They enjoy names from other languages whether or not it's a name of a different gender,examples are: Lia, Mialee, Quarion, Aust, Rurik, Ilde, Jarek, etc.
Adventurers: In Kalamarin society adventuring is a well respected occupation, kalamarins are frequently overcome with wanderlust and are naturally good fighters due to their natural physiqe and jobs as fishermen. They tend to keep party morale high with their antics and occasional humorous ignorance.
KALAMARIN RACIAL TRAITS +1 STR, +1 CHA, -2 CON,
Kalamarin base land speed is 30 feet. Kalamarin are amphibious, their swim speed is 30 feet.
Kalamarin receive the Multidexterity feat and Martial Weapon Proficiency (Glaive)
They receive +2 on the Profession (Fishing) and hide skills.
Favored Class: Fighter, though they are also known to become rogues. When determining whether a multiclass kalamarin takes an experience point penalty, her fighter class levels
does not count. (See XP for Multiclass Characters, page 60.)

Still sorta WIP what do you think?

Multidexterity? Where is that feat?

Don't have odd bonuses to stats.

Profession is next to useless, except in flavor. Capitalize Hide.

So far, it seems like it's weak. I wouldn't use this for a rogue. Halflings are almost strictly better (especially strongheart halflings), and the same goes for humans.

Melayl
2010-01-26, 10:57 PM
Looks interesting. What benefits does the color change abiliy give (you didn't outline that in the racial traits section). You also didnt' explicitly state that they have two sets of arms in the racial traits section. Also, if a creature/race has a swim speed listed, it usually gets a +8 to swim checks.

It has some nice fluff as well. I think it's going to have one hell of an LA, though. (four arms, [presumed] camoflage ability, bonus feats, bonus skills, and two movement speeds)

Strudel110
2010-01-26, 11:09 PM
Fixed somewhat thanks for the help. I was thinking that using their color changing ability they could produce a disorienting pattern to confuse enemies a certain number of times a day, any ideas on how to go about this ability?
Also this instead of Multidexterity
MULTIWEAPON FIGHTING [General]
A creature with three or more hands can fight with a weapon in each
hand. It can make one extra attack per round with each extra weapon.
Prerequisite: Three or more hands.
Benefit: Penalties for fighting with multiple weapons are reduced by 2.
Normal: A creature without this feat takes a –6 penalty on attacks
made with its primary hand and a –10 penalty on attacks made with its
off hands. (It has one primary hand, and all the others are off hands.)
See Attacking with Two Weapons, page 124 in the Player’s Handbook.
Special: This feat replaces the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for creatures
with more than two arms.

Temotei
2010-01-26, 11:09 PM
Looks interesting. What benefits does the color change abiliy give (you didn't outline that in the racial traits section). You also didnt' explicitly state that they have two sets of arms in the racial traits section. Also, if a creature/race has a swim speed listed, it usually gets a +8 to swim checks.

It has some nice fluff as well. I think it's going to have one hell of an LA, though. (four arms, [presumed] camoflage ability, bonus feats, bonus skills, and two movement speeds)

Yeah...I just read the racial traits. Until everything is in there, it's definitely not finished.

Strudel110
2010-01-26, 11:16 PM
Yeah...I just read the racial traits. Until everything is in there, it's definitely not finished.

Hahaha! Yeah I fix things quickly.

Melayl
2010-01-26, 11:25 PM
I think it's gonna need more than LA+1 -- the four arms alone might warrant that (extra actions/attacks each round). Add in the ability score boosts, the free feats, and the skill bonuses, etc.

I'd think at minimum LA+2, if not +3. But that's just my opinion

Strudel110
2010-01-26, 11:32 PM
I think it's gonna need more than LA+1 -- the four arms alone might warrant that (extra actions/attacks each round). Add in the ability score boosts, the free feats, and the skill bonuses, etc.

I'd think at minimum LA+2, if not +3. But that's just my opinion

I would say it's fair considering the bonuses elves and dwarves get, and the fact that you need to use up two feats unless you want -8 on all of your attack rolls.

Demented
2010-01-26, 11:34 PM

What is their opinion on fried mollusk as a foodstuff? :smalltongue:

"Calamaris: It's a... type of fish!"

Temotei
2010-01-26, 11:39 PM
tend to get along swimmingly with other races

Boo. :smallwink:

Strudel110
2010-01-26, 11:40 PM
I know pretty lame I'm glad someone caught it though.:smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2010-01-27, 06:20 PM
So far, it's looking like LA 2 is probably reasonable. I mean, it gets Multi-Weapon Fighting for free, and has 4 arms. That right there says to me that LA +2 is pretty reasonable.

Compare to the non-psionic Thri-Kreen, who don't get the feat for free, have two racial hit dice, and still get saddled with LA 1. In reverse, you get the feat for free, have no hit dice, and are LA 1. Yeaaaaaaaaah, I'm gonna have to throw my vote at LA 2. That way, it feels better balanced.

Another race that is good to compare against is the Diopsid from Dragon Compendium.

Mikka
2010-01-27, 06:23 PM
So far, it's looking like LA 2 is probably reasonable. I mean, it gets Multi-Weapon Fighting for free, and has 4 arms. That right there says to me that LA +2 is pretty reasonable.

Compare to the non-psionic Thri-Kreen, who don't get the feat for free, have two racial hit dice, and still get saddled with LA 1. In reverse, you get the feat for free, have no hit dice, and are LA 1. Yeaaaaaaaaah, I'm gonna have to throw my vote at LA 2. That way, it feels better balanced.

Another race that is good to compare against is the Diopsid from Dragon Compendium.

This.

As it is it should be LA 2.

Remove one stat bonus and the feat and its more about LA 1

Strudel110
2010-01-27, 07:40 PM
Fixed! any ideas for the color change ability?

Rithaniel
2010-01-27, 08:28 PM
Fixed! any ideas for the color change ability?

That's simple: make it be a bonus to hide. Also, having 4 arms, in and of itself, isn't really OMGWTFBBQ powerful, since it just gives you an extra two arms, which could easily be given with the spell 'Girrallions Blessing', or, for those of you who know the F&K Tomes, the feat 'Extra Arms'.

Strudel110
2010-01-27, 08:37 PM
Already did that,I was thinking that using their color changing ability they could produce a disorienting pattern to confuse enemies a certain number of times a day, any ideas on rules though? I'm feeling unimaginative.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-01-27, 08:50 PM
Interesting. I'm tempted to lean towards +1 LA myself, although at the very high end. Add in another useful ability or two and you'd have a solid +2 LA, I believe. Outside of the 4 arms, however, it gets nothing really that special...

Two things stand out. First, include the regenerative properties of the race in the stat block; otherwise it's just meaningless flavor that may be easily overlooked. Secondly, why the heck do they get Martial Weapon Proficiency (Glaive)? A polearm would be one of the most awkward weapons to wield if you have extra arms, as they'd always get in the way. In fact, as they don't seem to be an incredibly martial race, I'd drop both bonus feats, and then make them LA +1.

Strudel110
2010-01-27, 08:59 PM
Interesting. I'm tempted to lean towards +1 LA myself, although at the very high end. Add in another useful ability or two and you'd have a solid +2 LA, I believe. Outside of the 4 arms, however, it gets nothing really that special...

Two things stand out. First, include the regenerative properties of the race in the stat block; otherwise it's just meaningless flavor that may be easily overlooked. Secondly, why the heck do they get Martial Weapon Proficiency (Glaive)? A polearm would be one of the most awkward weapons to wield if you have extra arms, as they'd always get in the way. In fact, as they don't seem to be an incredibly martial race, I'd drop both bonus feats, and then make them LA +1.

A glaive is similar to a fishing spear so it was pretty much fluff related. Will fix.

Rithaniel
2010-01-27, 09:23 PM
Hmmm, I had an idea about this just now, and a couple of little minor abilities you could add:

Natural Camouflage: If you sit still in one place for 10 rounds or more, your body naturally changes color to hide your location, and you gain 20% concealment, and the ability to make Hide checks, even when being directly observed, as long as you don't move from that location.

Recovery: You have triple the normal heal rate of other creatures, meaning that, after a full nights rest, you heal (3 x your HD) hp.

Also, just now read that, looks good.

Glaive is a fun word to say.

Strudel110
2010-01-27, 09:27 PM
That's pretty cool think I might add that, I was toying with the idea of Fast Healing 1, where you heal 1 hitpoint a round, possibly a modified version, I want to keep LA down to +1 though what do you think?

Drakevarg
2010-01-27, 09:35 PM
I'd say keep the Multiweapon Fighting racial feat, ditch the Profession (Swimming) bonus (mostly fluff) and I don't think the ability to change color would really work for disguise. Maybe a +4 to Hide instead?

Don't forget to point out they have the Amphibious subtype so they can get water breathing.

But I would agree towards the general opinion of LA +2. Or maybe ECL +2, with 1 RHD.

Strudel110
2010-01-27, 09:52 PM
...Don't forget to point out they have the Amphibious subtype so they can get water breathing...

Already did and I'm trying to keep the LA to +1 besides you can take multi-weapon fighting as a fighter feat at first level anywho.

Drakevarg
2010-01-27, 09:58 PM
True dat. Still think Disguise needs to go. Buff Hide, then give him Fast Healing 1. Maybe instead of Hide make it so his camoflague gives him a passive blur ability.

Strudel110
2010-01-27, 10:08 PM
Big changes, I think this is pretty fair compared to dwarves, plus it makes for cool fluff.

Strudel110
2010-01-27, 11:24 PM
Fluff It will, be put here!

For six centuries the kalamarin were enslaved by the evil sahaguin, preventing technology beyond that of tribals or barbarians and isolating them from contact with the outside world. Their quest for freedom began when a crusading party of adventurers were imprisoned by the sahaguin, the kalamarin were tasked with guarding the adventurers until their execution could be scheduled. While imprisoned the party's Paladin determined that the Kalamarin were good aligned and their wizard knew sahaguin, after chatting with the kalamarin guards a plan was hatched against the sahaguin. Once the sahaguin king had decided that the heroes would be boiled to death, he sent 2 sahaguin warriors to retreive them. When they got there the heroes were gone, and they were met by five angry kalamarin. All through the night the sahaguin army was massacred, as the slaves hid using their natural camoflage tohide in the shadows where they could burst forth and hack the slavers to death with stolen weapons and tools. One of the greatest mistakes of the sahaguin was letting the Kalamarin population grow more than their own. To be continued...

Temotei
2010-01-28, 12:06 AM
20% concealment

What's this?

I think you mean concealment, which grants a miss chance of 20%.

Strudel110
2010-01-28, 08:41 AM
Yes that, will fix!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-01-28, 10:19 AM
Hmmm...they're back to having just 2 arms? Or did you forget to add that?

Also, Natural Camouflage is a little weak. Perhaps make it if they take a full-round action to blend in? That I could actually see being used.

Then maybe a racial feat makes it a Standard action, and a Paragon class or something would make it a move action...

Bluelantern
2010-01-28, 11:36 AM
Just want to congratulate you for this unique races (and the colors, are so preeeety), I can't give you any rules advise though (unless you want to switch to Mutants and Masterminds)

TabletopNuke
2010-01-28, 03:28 PM
Did you draw that picture? It's really nice.

You've done well on the fluff, other than a few typos. You need to include the kalamarin creature type and racial languages in the stat listing, though.

Their squidlike bodies, and what I'm assuming is a hydrostatic skeleton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_skeleton) means that they might be good at fitting through small spaces like an octopus can. You could give them a big bonus to Escape Artist checks, and say that when they are unencumbered and wearing no more than light armor, they are treated as one size smaller for the purpose of fitting through small spaces. (I made a race like that a while ago, never posted it, though.)

I think the kalamarins are a little on the weak side for a +1 LA (but much too strong for +0), but the Escape Artist abilities should help. Also, the picture suggests they have 4 arms, which is worth a +1 LA, and would put these guys at +2.

Strudel110
2010-01-28, 05:50 PM
Did you draw that picture? It's really nice.

You've done well on the fluff, other than a few typos. You need to include the kalamarin creature type and racial languages in the stat listing, though.

Their squidlike bodies, and what I'm assuming is a hydrostatic skeleton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatic_skeleton) means that they might be good at fitting through small spaces like an octopus can. You could give them a big bonus to Escape Artist checks, and say that when they are unencumbered and wearing no more than light armor, they are treated as one size smaller for the purpose of fitting through small spaces. (I made a race like that a while ago, never posted it, though.)

I think the kalamarins are a little on the weak side for a +1 LA (but much too strong for +0), but the Escape Artist abilities should help. Also, the picture suggests they have 4 arms, which is worth a +1 LA, and would put these guys at +2.
Yep I drew it myself although I draw much better with a pencil, but thanks! I'd say the hydrostatic skeleton is definitely fluff-worthy, but I changed the camoflage and they do have four arms so...

Debihuman
2010-01-28, 05:53 PM
Kalamarin

KALAMARIN RACIAL TRAITS +2 STR, +2 DEX, -2 CON,
Kalamarin base land speed is 30 feet. Kalamarin are amphibious and gain a +8 racial bonus on swim checks, and can always chose to take 10, their swim speed is 30 feet.
Kalamarin have ... Four Arms!!!

Fast Healing 1: At the beginning of each of the creature’s turns, it heals 1 hit point. A kalamarin that has taken both nonlethal and lethal damage heals the nonlethal damage first. Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation. Fast healing does not increase the number of hit points regained when a creature polymorphs. Lost limbs regrow over a period of 1d4 months.

Natural Camouflage: If a kalamarin remains in one place, they may naturally change color to hide their location as a full-round action, and gain concealment (confers 20% chance to miss), and the ability to make Hide checks, even when being directly observed, as long as they don't move from that location.

Level Adjustment +1

Favored Class: Fighter, though they are also known to become rogues. When determining whether a multiclass kalamarin takes an experience point penalty, her fighter class levels do not count.

FIXED!

Interesting. I think it could be better if you defined whether all 4 limbs can use weapons. If they can, then the LA should be higher. If they are using only their natural weapons (4 claws), then the appropriate feat is Multiattack.

Creatures with multiple limbs should have Multiweapon Fighting as a feat if they can use weapons. From the looks of this, it has natural weapons. Obviously with claws, normal weapons could be difficult to use.

Debby

Strudel110
2010-01-28, 06:01 PM
Nope their hands are quite nimble but you have to use up a feat for multi-weapon fighting if you want it, otherwise you'll have to use the extra arms for something other than fighting. (even with the feat you receive -8 on main and -10 on the rest)

Strudel110
2010-01-28, 09:56 PM
New materials:http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab277/Strudel110/Kalamarin2.jpg Until recently kalamarin did not have access to metal weapons or armor, so naturally kalamarin characters have a tendancy to use the materials listed below.

Weapon Material:
Pink Coral: More effective and durable than stone, coral can be easily carved into a myriad of weapons from swords to staves. Pink coral is a substitute for steel and has no effect other than visual.

Red Coral: An expensive variant of pink coral, it harbors a powerful neurotoxin, and on a critical threat, a Red Coral weapon deals 1d6 points of Dexterity damage (Fortitude save DC 15 negates).it costs an additional 500 gp to make a red coral weapon. Red coral weapons must also be masterwork.

Blue Coral: Blue coral is a tough but light variant with a pristine edge, Blue coral is so light that one-handed weapons made from it count as offhand weapons, and weapons made from it may be used by creatures a size smaller than the size it was designed for may use it. Blue coral weapons must be masterwork and cost an additional 600 gp to make.

Armor: Coming soon...

Temotei
2010-01-28, 10:01 PM
New materials:http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab277/Strudel110/Kalamarin2.jpg Until recently kalamarin did not have access to metal weapons or armor, so naturally kalamarin characters have a tendancy to use the materials listed below.

Weapon Material:
Pink Coral: More effective and durable than stone, coral can be easily carved into a myryad of weapons from swords to staves. Pink coral is a substitute for steel and has no effect other than visual.

Red Coral: An expensive variant of pink coral, it harbors a powerful nuerotoxin and deals 1d6 dexterity damage on a successful hit (Fort negates), it costs an additional 500 gp to make a red coral weapon. Red coral weapons must also be masterwork.

Blue Coral: Blue coral is a tough but light variant with a pristine edge, Blue coral is so light that 1 handed made from it count as offhand weapons, and weapons made from it may be used by creatures a size smaller than the size it was designed for may use it. Blue coral weapons must be masterwork and cost an additional 600 gp to make.

Armor: Coming soon...

Myriad.

Neurotoxin.

One-handed. Always spell out numbers unless they have three or more words. Also, just because I feel nice (and too lazy to explain all rules and guidelines): OWL on numbers (http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/593/01/).

Strudel110
2010-01-28, 10:06 PM
Yeah I have typos sometimes, although I know those rules I'm not quite sure why I didn't spell out one.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-01-28, 10:12 PM
Red Coral is strictly better than about...oh...half of all magical enhancements. If you want to keep the dexterity damage, make it read something like this:

On a critical threat, a Red Coral weapon deals 1d6 points of Dexterity damage (Fortitude save DC 15 negates).

That's probably worth 500gp...maybe a little more, but close enough.

Strudel110
2010-01-28, 10:14 PM
Yeah figured it was unbalanced... will fix!

Strudel110
2010-01-29, 02:51 PM
By the way you guys can come up with materials and new weapons if you want to, I'll be adding armor and maybe fluff later.