PDA

View Full Version : Valentines Help

RabbitHoleLost
2010-01-26, 11:34 PM
So, I've got this boyfriend, and he moved an hour and a half away from me. I really rather like him, and he's never had a Valentines with someone before.
...I bet you see where this is going. I want to send him gifts, one a day for a few days leading up to Valentines, and, so far, I've got the idea of sending him a personalized bounce ball (http://bouncebackballs.com/).
Anyone have any other ideas?
Anybody have a great Valentines story while we're waiting?

Temotei
2010-01-26, 11:40 PM
So, I've got this boyfriend, and he moved an hour and a half away from me. I really rather like him, and he's never had a Valentines with someone before.
...I bet you see where this is going. I want to send him gifts, one a day for a few days leading up to Valentines, and, so far, I've got the idea of sending him a personalized bounce ball (http://bouncebackballs.com/).

I asked out my girlfriend on Valentine's Day. 'nuff said.

It'll be a year come this Valentine's. :smallbiggrin:

That's pretty much my only story.

Xyk
2010-01-26, 11:54 PM
I've never had a girlfriend for Valentines day (they consistently dump me in January), but I have good suggestions for your gift thingy.

1) A homemade puzzle which reads "I love you" or something similar when put together correctly.

2)An illustration.

3)Poetry.

4)Combine 1 with either 2 or 3

5)A coconut with something romantic hidden inside (may require black magic to get things inside)

6)A treasure map that eventually leads to a significant place.

That's all I got.

snoopy13a
2010-01-26, 11:58 PM
Food is always a great idea.

alchemyprime
2010-01-27, 12:04 AM
Custom made game.

Say what you will, I know it worked for me. Crack open the old Visual Basic, make a simple puzzle game, when she solves it, it says "Congratulations. What is your name?"

Let's say her name is Girl.

If textbox1.text = "Girl" then
Messagebox = "I love you, Girl!"
ElseIf Messagebox = "Congradurashuns!"

Just as an example.

Wow, I need to program again. Has it really been 2 years?

RabbitHoleLost
2010-01-27, 12:25 AM

B'awww, cute.

All ideas so far have been most awesome, and maybe used in the future.
Unfortunately, manthing and I have not yet made it to the "I Love You" exchange...

Temotei
2010-01-27, 12:32 AM
B'awww, cute.

Unfortunately, manthing and I have not yet made it to the "I Love You" exchange...

I wrote a poem for her when I asked her out.

Here...I think it's a little lame, but I spent a few hours on this (thinking of what to say in particular while rhyming was difficult), and she loved it.

I am wishful
For you to be with me
Open my soul
You are the key

My affection lay down
You deserve all
And you astound
Definitely worth the haul

I do desire
You to feel this way
It burns like fire
You make me sway

I do care
My heart does not lie
Will you be there?
Can I be your guy?

Pyrian
2010-01-27, 01:10 AM
The best gifts always relate directly to the receiver, which makes things like this a bit hard to answer generally. Maybe pick up 1001 Ways to be Romantic and have a browse. Most of it will be horribly inapplicable but there's usually a few gems hidden in there for just about anybody.

I'm a big fan of personally-made anything. Personalized things are also cool, although obviously you've already figured that out. :smallcool:

Get a print of his favorite comic?

Gas card with a note saying "Visit me!"? (Anything that's explosively flammable is romantic, right? :smallwink: )

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-27, 01:10 AM
*gets out pad and paper, takes notes*

RabbitHoleLost
2010-01-27, 01:14 AM
The best gifts always relate directly to the receiver, which makes things like this a bit hard to answer generally. Maybe pick up 1001 Ways to be Romantic and have a browse. Most of it will be horribly inapplicable but there's usually a few gems hidden in there for just about anybody.

I'm a big fan of personally-made anything. Personalized things are also cool, although obviously you've already figured that out. :smallcool:

Get a print of his favorite comic?

Gas card with a note saying "Visit me!"? (Anything that's explosively flammable is romantic, right? :smallwink: )

You make a point.
And this probably isn't the best place to look for help, since my man is- gasp!- not exactly a nerd.
Well, I mean, he likes Star Wars and nerdy movies and cartoons, but I don't think he likes comics.
At all.
And his video game choices go along with typical manlyman games.

=/

Temotei
2010-01-27, 01:17 AM
You make a point.
And this probably isn't the best place to look for help, since my man is- gasp!- not exactly a nerd.
Well, I mean, he likes Star Wars and nerdy movies and cartoons, but I don't think he likes comics.
At all.

=/

You know him better than us. Look at his favorite video game, or his favorite movie, and make something based on that. Drawings, poems, stories, memories, etc. all work too.

SDF
2010-01-27, 01:21 AM
As "not exactly" a nerd myself, I say make him a mix CD. Bonus points if you can manage to make an actual tape, but a CD is probably easier and more practical. You can say a lot with well chosen music.

loopy
2010-01-27, 01:36 AM

One question. Does the bounce ball have the Symbol of Insanity (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html) scribed upon it? :smallbiggrin:

Felixaar
2010-01-27, 01:47 AM

You, my friend, are a genius. One less anniversary to remember.

Rabbs - the staples are always good, especially when you quirk-it-up by being the girl giving them to the guy. Does he like flowers? No? Good. Give them to him anyway and watch him squirm.

On an unrelated note, I'm still looking for a Valentine myself... feel free to state your cases, ladies. Or men, heck, I'm open minded.

Boo
2010-01-27, 06:46 AM
You make a point.
At all.

=/

Ship him. With Boba Fett.

You know you want to.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-01-27, 12:55 PM
Rabbs - the staples are always good, especially when you quirk-it-up by being the girl giving them to the guy. Does he like flowers? No? Good. Give them to him anyway and watch him squirm.

I was actually thinking about making him a boquet of duct tape roses :smallbiggrin:

Boo: Only...in my mind.
SDF: Great idea. I can't believe I didn't think of it before. You're awesome.

WalkingTarget
2010-01-27, 01:13 PM
My longest-term girlfriend was also, mostly, a long distance thing. During the first two Valentines that we were dating, it always fell within the week and so we both had classes to deal with.

I wrote poetry so I could at least email her something on the day.

Not to say that this was always art or anything. Mostly they consisted of a general letter to her written in haiku (in English).

One of them the first year was:

Haiku are easy.
Sonnets are impossible.
Limericks are fun.

Followed by:

To [her name] on Valentines Day
I've a couple of things I would say
I miss you a lot
and, more often than not
I feel that you're too far away.

Then the next year:

Last year I said that
sonnets were impossible.
I guess I was wrong.

and I wrote her that danged sonnet. Took me a good month to get it pinned down. Proper iambic pentameter and everything. I wish I still had it somewhere; my email from that long ago wasn't archived. Coming from somebody who generally has the artistic streak of a garden slug it was impressive that I managed even this much. They went over well as gifts go, in general at least.

Cyrion
2010-01-27, 02:22 PM
Build-A-Bear. Choose the voice box that allows you to record a personal message. My choice when I did it was the monkey- I put him in a tux and accessorized with the rose bouquet.

Something that foreshadows something you're going to do the next time you have a chance to get together. For example, the Valentine's before our honeymoon in Italy, I got my then-fiancee the Rosetta Stone software for Italian.

Does he think you're not going to get together over Valentines? Can you surprise him with a visit? If so, can you make a production of it? When I proposed, I built a remote control penguin and had it go into her classroom to deliver a card that set up me coming in with the ring. In this case, emphasis on the remote control penguin, not the ring.

Pika...
2010-01-27, 04:13 PM

Awww. That is so sweet.

And I love the bouncy ball idea. Sounds awesome, and the boyfriend seems like a pretty cool guy to still enjoy them (I am always tempted to play with one at a store still at my age...).

As for ideas, I can not offer much.

Personally what I would desire in such a situation would simply be time with said girlfriend. Stay in on V-day and enjoy my first V-day doing something else besides school work and sleeping. I think he will be happy regardless of what you do. :smallsmile:

However, since you are considering the each day thing perhaps write a meaningful letter (perhaps with some goal?), but send it in parts over the days leading up to V-day. Plan it so you send one out each day, and he receives one each day with the final one arriving on V-day? You could make each letter normal ending and with "..." and continued on the next installment, or have it hand written on some nice Michael's paper and cut/torn up (fantasy movie style?) and sent to him separately in parts each day.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-01-27, 04:17 PM
We're both working on Valentines, unfortunately, so I'm hoping to atleast see him a few days before or afterwards...
The letter thing goes without saying, and when I show up, I'll have homemade toffee for him (his absolute favorite).
I just...agh. Don't know what else to do.

Kallisti
2010-01-27, 04:25 PM
Write him a poem. Even if it's bad poetry, it's a thoughtful gift. With a poem, you can actually get away with playing the "It's the thought that counts" card.

Pika...
2010-01-27, 04:41 PM
We're both working on Valentines, unfortunately, so I'm hoping to atleast see him a few days before or afterwards...
The letter thing goes without saying, and when I show up, I'll have homemade toffee for him (his absolute favorite).
I just...agh. Don't know what else to do.

Ah, I see. What a shame. First V-day with a girl and you're stuck working. :smallfrown:

Anyway, I figured a letter was standard, I was just trying to come up with a way of being more creative/less predictable. I was imagining a guy's face as he is tearing up reading a letter from the girl of his dreams, then suddenly reads: "...To Be Continued...", or if I was writing it to be comical "Continued in next week's installment kids!".

Hmm....

You know, while you both can't be together, what if you are with him that day?

Know anyone with a digital video camera? Or if you have no choice an old VHS one?

If you can get your hands on the prior why not make him a heartfelt video of yourself saying/discussing/whatever you choose or think would make him happiest, possibly start it off with "I am sorry I could not be there honey, but I hope this recording can keep you company" chick-flick style. Have it ready, upload it to a filesharing stie/server, and sending it out early morning on V-day for him when he wakes up.

ps. And no, I am not talking about that kind of video before anyone asks. >_>

Write him a poem. Even if it's bad poetry, it's a thoughtful gift. With a poem, you can actually get away with playing the "It's the thought that counts" card.

That sounds like such a guy thing to do. LoL.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-01-27, 04:51 PM
ps. And no, I am not talking about that kind of video before anyone asks. >_>

I'm sorry, my mind went straight to that kind of video, and I lauged.

Poetry would be a good thing maybe later on in the relationship. Plus, I'm not sure he's the kind of person who would appreciate it.

His sister got him a Marvel coloring book and markers for Christmas.
He's twenty seven.
I lawled.
He actually used it.

CrimsonAngel
2010-01-27, 05:03 PM
The first valentines day I had a girlfriend I got dumped.

Pika...
2010-01-27, 05:06 PM
I'm sorry, my mind went straight to that kind of video, and I lauged.

Hahahahaha.

Sorry about that. I did not mean to offend.

And here I thought my mind was in the gutter, but instead I was the one thinking all romantic and such. :smallbiggrin:

Well, let's see. If you want to go such a route, and he seems like a guy that can take a joke well, why not try this instead:
a. Find yourself a Wonder Woman outfit, or preferably of a (female) character he likes.
b. Video starts, and you come on screen and pretend to start a little striptease for him.
c. Before anything happens have the image cut straight to a scene (or entire episode) of said super hero (for Wonder Woman just grab a scene/episode straight off of Youtube from the Justice League).
d. Suddenly bf goes from "Oohhhh yeahhhh..." to "Wait, what?!"/*tears up* in 0.5 seconds.

Oh Sardior, how I love my ability to jump from hopeless romantic to troll export so easily. :smallbiggrin:

Pika...
2010-01-27, 05:08 PM
The first valentines day I had a girlfriend I got dumped.

Ouch. That is cold. :/

Strawberries
2010-01-27, 06:19 PM
I made my boyfriend origami for our first Valentine, some are pretty easy to make and it's something you make with your own hands.....

...since it was 8 years ago and we are now living together I'd say it worked out rather well :smallwink:

One question. Does the bounce ball have the Symbol of Insanity (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html) scribed upon it? :smallbiggrin:

Is it wrong that I thought exactly the same thing?

Pika...
2010-01-27, 06:26 PM
I made my boyfriend origami for our first Valentine, some are pretty easy to make and it's something you make with your own hands.....

...since it was 8 years ago and we are now living together I'd say it worked out rather well :smallwink:

I have been wanting to do the same with a five dollar bill the next time I am at my favorite Chinese buffet restaurant for the waitress.

Funny enough that will probably be during next V-day. LoL

ps. Yes, origami money will make any guy happy.

Strawberries
2010-01-27, 06:41 PM
I have been wanting to do the same with a five dollar bill the next time I am at my favorite Chinese buffet restaurant for the waitress.

Funny enough that will probably be during next V-day. LoL

ps. Yes, origami money will make any guy happy.

Well, they were simply plain-paper birds and flowers that you could hang, but they did make him happy - to this day he still has them.
My advice would always be to go for something you make yourself-origami, a painting, a poem as some have suggested....even a cake, or cookies, if you can bake. I just feel that making a gift with your own hands shows more affection than purchasing one.

Pika...
2010-01-27, 06:47 PM
Well, they were simply plain-paper birds and flowers that you could hang, but they did make him happy - to this day he still has them.
My advice would always be to go for something you make yourself-origami, a painting, a poem as some have suggested....even a cake, or cookies, if you can bake. I just feel that making a gift with your own hands shows more affection than purchasing one.

I completely agree.

However, she already has the baking part down, so she needs new ideas. Also, I think time might be an issue as she sais she is working?

Hmm...

Does he like this game?:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Companion-Cube-Tissue-box/

Alarra
2010-01-27, 11:37 PM
I've always thought coupon books were a decent idea, you know, with things like 'good for one massage', etc and so forth on them, tailored to things you know your honey would like and, of course, hand made.

Coidzor
2010-01-28, 12:19 AM
B'awww, cute.

Otherwise you wouldn't be calling him Manthing. :smalltongue:

I was actually thinking about making him a boquet of duct tape roses :smallbiggrin:

I approve. My ex made me these flowers out of folded up valentines day cards and some kind of prop wire, possibly florists' wire... Those were pretty sweet to have as just a decoration for the longest while.

When I proposed, I built a remote control penguin and had it go into her classroom to deliver a card that set up me coming in with the ring. In this case, emphasis on the remote control penguin, not the ring.

... that's... AWESOME! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2d8HBGz-Og)

Cyrion
2010-01-28, 11:21 PM
Otherwise you wouldn't be calling him Manthing. :smalltongue:

I approve. My ex made me these flowers out of folded up valentines day cards and some kind of prop wire, possibly florists' wire... Those were pretty sweet to have as just a decoration for the longest while.

... that's... AWESOME! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2d8HBGz-Og)

Front cover: These penguins are having a party...

<montage of pictures of penguins partying>

Inside: But every penguin knows that it's not a party without you. So put on your fancy dress and save the date, because these penguins want me to ask you...

It was all over the school the next day, and she had people pointing her out across campus for several days.

And she said yes!