PDA

View Full Version : Create me....... Metal Slime/Liquid Metal Slime/Metal King Slime stats

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-27, 01:07 AM
Somehow, while playing my DS and hunting Metal Slimes so one will join me, this dang idea popped into my head. What if a DM wanted to be nice, and would roll a dice occasionally to see if the party has a chance to get bonus EXP? Then I thought about how the Metal Slime family is essentially just that.

-They can't cause a TPK unless everybody is in a dying state already
-They are as dangerous as a wet paper bag
-Their only problem is running away, and the fact their theoretical AC has got to be astronomically high, maybe in the triple digits area. Therefore, only a natural 20 will kill them
-Killing one will be the equivalent of the party gaining 1/2 a level or even a whole level, depending on which one they killed.

I know somehow here has got to be bored enough to at least try to stat them up.

My ideas so far:

-Touch AC has to be incredibly high so even touch attacks/spells are no threat. Therefore, DEX needs to be really, really high (like triple digits high). Or even more, they have a permanent Scintillating Scales spell (turn the slime's armor AC into deflection AC) on so it's not the fact they are tougher than everything; you just can't seem to land a hit
-Needs Spell Immunity like a golem, as well as immunity from all environmental damage, even immunity that rocks fall on the slimes and they aren't hurt from that
-Unbelievable run speed that it'd even put a level 20 speedy Monk to shame
-No CON modifier, for it will only have a 1d4/1d6 as HP
-Minor spellcasting; the slimes can get a Produce Flame, and Metal Slime King gets a Fireball with the power as a level 1-3 caster.
-Perhaps roll a d4 to determine what action it takes, or even better, flip a coin to determine whether it attacks or runs away

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/06/king_slime.jpg
You know you want to kill it.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-27, 01:10 AM
-Touch AC has to be incredibly high so even touch attacks/spells are no threat. Therefore, DEX needs to be really, really high (like triple digits high). Or even more, they have a permanent Scintillating Scales spell (turn the slime's armor AC into deflection AC) on so it's not the fact they are tougher than everything; you just can't seem to land a hit
-Needs Spell Immunity like a golem, as well as immunity from all environmental damage, even immunity that rocks fall on the slimes and they aren't hurt from that
-Unbelievable run speed that it'd even put a level 20 speedy Monk to shame
-No CON modifier, for it will only have a 1d4/1d6 as HP
-Minor spellcasting; the slimes can get a Produce Flame, and Metal Slime King gets a Fireball with the power as a level 1-3 caster.
-Perhaps roll a d4 to determine what action it takes, or even better, flip a coin to determine whether it attacks or runs awayBlack Tentacles.

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-27, 01:13 AM
Black Tentacles.

They also have a permanent Freedom of Movement. :wink:

So let's see.........

-Can't be hit unless it's a natural 20
-Can't be grappled
-Can't be harmed by environmental damage of ANY sort
-Can't be hit with any spells

Anything else I'm missing? :amused:

drengnikrafe
2010-01-27, 01:14 AM
The only problem is that it serves no real purpose. It's a pile of experience just waiting to be killed.
How do you justify giving them all that experience? I could see maybe the first time, because it's some sort of amazing achievement to kill off such a strange monster, but... really. It can't do anything, it was not dangerous, etc.

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-27, 01:17 AM
The only problem is that it serves no real purpose. It's a pile of experience just waiting to be killed.
How do you justify giving them all that experience? I could see maybe the first time, because it's some sort of amazing achievement to kill off such a strange monster, but... really. It can't do anything, it was not dangerous, etc.

You have only a 5% chance to get that pile of experience. As for DMs, it'd probably be amusing on their end to see the party failing to subdue a cute little slime. :smallbiggrin:

They are notorious in the game they are from to run away on the very first turn. If anything, all that DEX will also mean they will always go first. Flip a coin, and have it run away, taunting the players as their potential EXP windfall ran away from them.

Lawless III
2010-01-27, 01:55 AM
I love anything Akira Toriyama has a hand and as such I am honor bound to give whatever aid I can to this idea... That and I would love to pull this on my players. :smallbiggrin:

In the games, even when you did hit them it always only did like 1 or 2 damage, except when you crit'd or were using the liquid metal sword. So they should probably have some form of damage resistance.

Also you might want to make the chances of finding one even lower so as to avoid having players try to grind levels (as everyone has done in a videogame rpg at some point.)

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-27, 02:07 AM
I love anything Akira Toriyama has a hand and as such I am honor bound to give whatever aid I can to this idea... That and I would love to pull this on my players. :smallbiggrin:

In the games, even when you did hit them it always only did like 1 or 2 damage, except when you crit'd or were using the liquid metal sword. So they should probably have some form of damage resistance.

Also you might want to make the chances of finding one even lower so as to avoid having players try to grind levels (as everyone has done in a videogame rpg at some point.)

That's why I had an idea that the DM can decide when they encounter one. Say there are a potential of 5 chances to meet one or two during the whole campaign, and that's only decided by the dice roll. The longer the campaign goes without seeing one, the higher the chances one will appear. It IS possible to have 5 straight encounters with these nimble little buggers, but then there'd be no more for the rest of the campaign. :belkar:

icefractal
2010-01-27, 03:00 AM
Hmm - if their physical attacks are that unimpressive, you could trap them in a Wall of Stone (with arrow slits) and then fire barrages of arrows until you rolled enough 20s. Or a pit, for that matter.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-01-27, 03:21 AM
There's plenty of ways to practically guarantee you crit at least once, and plenty of ways to ensure that yes, you do actually go first. And Shards of Granite will let you bypass/negate DR.

Also, Metal Babbles were pretty nasty, IIRC. They would do stuff like Firebane. And could Poison.

Here's what I'd do. I'd stat up the critter with a high CR, to reflect the near-invincibility. Something like 4+ the party's CR. That would, naturally, give the party a boatload of xp.

As far as how to stat it? Here's what I'd do:

Type: Ooze (Liquid Metal)

Has all Ooze and all Construct traits.

Golem immunity to magic

Immunity to energy damage

Then I'd give the subtype the following traits:

Liquid Metal Body: Any creature with the Liquid Metal subtype reduces all physical damage taken to 1. This is not the same as Damage Reduction, therefore effects which bypass, negate, or lessen DR does not affect this.

Critical Weakness: Any confirmed critical hit on a creature with the Liquid Metal subtype bypasses the Liquid Metal Body trait.

Teleport(Su). Any Liquid Metal creature is able to use this ability to escape his opponents. Note that the golem immunity includes immunity to Dimensional Anchor

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-27, 03:50 AM
^----- I like the Liquid Metal Body trait. However, a steady 1 point of damage would be bad. Perhaps there should only be a 10-20% chance to deal 1 damage. That'd at least reflect the annoyingly tough nature of the beasts. Of course, I can always stick to my original idea of giving it DEX bonuses and touch AC out the wazoo and combine it WITH the Liquid Metal Body trait. :smallredface:

*Oooh, add a trait that gives it a permanent Freedom of Movement effect. Can't let the players grappled the pile of EXP now do we?

*But really? Can you guarantee going first when the Liquid Metal Slime has DEX in the hundreds? That'd at least be a +50 to initiative. :smalleek:

Also, that Teleport idea works. It'd essentially counter anything that tries to trap it.

Hmm - if their physical attacks are that unimpressive, you could trap them in a Wall of Stone (with arrow slits) and then fire barrages of arrows until you rolled enough 20s. Or a pit, for that matter.

Uh............. they have a an adhesive surface that allows them a perfect climb speed, no matter what condition, equal to their movement speed. >.>

As much as I'd like such tricks, that'd be in essence free EXP, and not relying on Lady Luck.

*Nevermind this. Shneeky's idea of giving the slimes Teleport as well as immunity to Dimensional Anchor would definitely work.

Coidzor
2010-01-27, 05:49 AM
Dimension Door as a spell like to counteract corralling? Teleport is good fun times too.

bosssmiley
2010-01-27, 09:27 AM
Adapt the existing stats of Grey Ooze or Ochre Jellies. Those guys are already immune to lots of things, and can slither away under doors, down pipes and the like. Add additional traits to the Ooze type until satisfied. Job done.

PrismaticPIA
2010-01-27, 09:39 AM
Anti-magic field + Telekinesis.

Blackfang108
2010-01-27, 09:45 AM
Anti-magic field + Telekinesis.

Hmm...

I think you'll need to give it a climb speed as well.

Xenogears
2010-01-27, 09:52 AM
Type: Ooze (Liquid Metal)

Has all Ooze and all Construct traits.

Golem immunity to magic

Immunity to energy damage

Then I'd give the subtype the following traits:

Liquid Metal Body: Any creature with the Liquid Metal subtype reduces all physical damage taken to 1. This is not the same as Damage Reduction, therefore effects which bypass, negate, or lessen DR does not affect this.

Critical Weakness: Any confirmed critical hit on a creature with the Liquid Metal subtype bypasses the Liquid Metal Body trait.

Teleport(Su). Any Liquid Metal creature is able to use this ability to escape his opponents. Note that the golem immunity includes immunity to Dimensional Anchor

The golem immunity to magic was errated into infinite SR wasn't it? Therefore SR=No spells would bypass it. That won't work. It needs a new ability. Complete immunity to all magic even magic with no SR or magic that doesn't directly target it. Say maybe a null magic zone emenating about a foot away from their body.
Liquid metal body seems good.
Critical weakness should probably be changed to "gets a natural twenty" to prevent high crit builds from dominating the encounter.
Teleport should be made an (Ex) ability to get around antimagic fields and should be random. Say a 40% chance to activate each turn (to reflect them running away)

Also (unless the DS version is different) they shouldn't have high AC. I almost never missed them. The problem was doing atleast 10 damage before they fled. So instead of super high dex it should have the Salient Divine Ability Supreme Initiative (I go first. Thats it.) or something similiar.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-01-27, 02:41 PM
You may not have missed them, but it's not very easy to miss in the Dragon Quest series. D&D is odd because high defences mean you get hit less often, rather than less hard. Basically, having a high AC is comparable to having a high Defense in most other games, even though Damage Reduction is more similar. Also, most SR: No spells don't deal damage. Off the top of my head the Orb of X spells are the only ones which deal damage, and energy immunity covers that.

I hope these stats do get done, though. I want to use them. (This may get more/better results in homebrew, and would probably be more likely to get finished).

Edit: So I didn't get ninja'd on the AC thing, I'll add the rest of my points here.

High resistance/immunity to falling and crushing damage would help to reduce abusing their high experience reward. You may want an ability to get around Searing Spell and similar, too.

Consider giving it more HP than in the games, just enough that a single crit will drop it, but not so little that trapping it and continually hitting it for one damage/shot is viable. That's a very fine balance to get though. Epic Escape Artist checks can get through even Walls of Force, IIRC, and an Epic or near-Epic CR would help with increasing experience given as well so that may be another option.

May try to help more later. I'll be thinking of ideas in the meantime.