PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Getting Invocations Sooner

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-01-27, 03:27 AM
Is there any way to get access to a Lesser Invocation before 6th? Or, failing that, any way to get more Lesser Invocations other than waiting until 11th and grabbing the Extra Invocation feat?

I'm working on something for a Warlock build, and I'm needing some more Lesser invocations.

Burley
2010-01-27, 10:37 AM
No. There aren't any way to get invocations earlier than you should. There isn't enough support for Warlocks (or Dragonfire Adepts) to try to mix and match feats.
On some levels, however, the DFA gets certain things before the Warlock does, such as blast shapes and essences. The utility invocations are better for the DFA on average, as well.

Depending on your build, it may be better to take DFA and refluff it to be warlock-y.

Person_Man
2010-01-27, 11:27 AM
No, but most Invocations can be duplicated by other class abilities, items, or spells. What is it that you're trying to get access to, and at what ECL?

Anonymouswizard
2010-01-27, 11:48 AM
No, but looking at complete arcane I can say that the lesser invocations are better than the greater invocations. There are about 6/7 lesser invocations that seem useful and only 1/2 greaters that rival them.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-01-27, 08:01 PM
No, but most Invocations can be duplicated by other class abilities, items, or spells. What is it that you're trying to get access to, and at what ECL?

What I am trying to get is the following:

Charm (for entry to Mindbender for 100' Telepathy so I can qualify for Mindsight)
Hellrime Blast (for entry into Hellfire Warlock)
Walk Unseen (or some kind of permanent invis)
Fell Flight (or some kind of permanent flight)
Flee The Scene (escape route)
Voracious Dispelling (or some other form of unlimited ranged dispelling)

By level 13.

olentu
2010-01-27, 08:09 PM
I recall an item that gives an additional invocation but can not remember at the moment of what level or any other restrictions it might have. It was in the expedition to castle ravenloft I believe.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-27, 08:09 PM
I recall an item that gives an additional invocation but can not remember at the moment of what level or any other restrictions it might have. It was in the expedition to castle ravenloft I believe.

Codex Avocare, 20,000 gp.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-27, 08:16 PM
Hmm. Good find Mr. Fist.

Can you get the benefit from more than one of those?

Thurbane
2010-01-27, 08:25 PM

Charm (for entry to Mindbender for 100' Telepathy so I can qualify for Mindsight)

By level 13.
Maybe not ideal, but some of those things can be replicated with items: Ring of Invisibility, Carpet of Flying etc. Will get very expensive, though.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-27, 08:27 PM
Maybe not ideal, but some of those things can be replicated with items: Ring of Invisibility, Carpet of Flying etc. Will get very expensive, though.

Or races. A faen (after becoming a spryte) or a pixie will cover flight, charm and invis I think

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-01-27, 08:33 PM
Or races. A faen (after becoming a spryte) or a pixie will cover flight, charm and invis I think

Pixie is +4 LA as well... that really, REALLY hurts. But, it is an option, I guess

I suppose I can throw some money at the problems. Ring of Invis, Graft Wings... but there's really no other way to get Hellrime Blast or unlimited dispelling...

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-27, 08:36 PM
Faen would be better, if you take the race levels (only 3). Arcana Unearthed has this race (NOT unearthed Arcana)

sofawall
2010-01-27, 08:57 PM

By level 13.

Is this ToS?

Prime32
2010-01-27, 09:01 PM
Dragonborn or Raptoran gets you flight for +0 LA. For +2 LA Petal does the same, but also gives you Tiny size and DR.

A caster dip gets you charm person and qualifies you for eldritch disciple/theurge.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-01-27, 09:13 PM
Is this ToS?

Why yes... yes it is.

olentu
2010-01-28, 12:03 AM
Faen would be better, if you take the race levels (only 3). Arcana Unearthed has this race (NOT unearthed Arcana)

Arcana unearthed is not a wizards of the coast thing is it not.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-28, 12:09 AM
Arcana unearthed is not a wizards of the coast thing is it not.

Baah! Care not I do. Let the third party love flow, we must.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-01-28, 06:28 PM
Baah! Care not I do. Let the third party love flow, we must.

Mmm... Arcana Unearthed? Non-WoTC content? A ToS optimizer craves not these things...

In other words, 3rd party content not allowed.