PDA

View Full Version : How would you stat out Dr who?

Kwinza
2010-01-27, 03:54 AM
I thought this might be fun ^_^

Sir Homeslice
2010-01-27, 03:55 AM
The Doctor's stats are "I win, deal with it."

JaronK
2010-01-27, 04:15 AM
So, Wizard or Archivist, of sufficient level? Clearly far into epic.

Or he could be an Artificer, I just have no idea what the sonic screwdriver actually is.

JaronK

Kwinza
2010-01-27, 04:24 AM
Homeslice the made me laugh!
But yeah he's clearly got amazingly high mental stats (but how high)
and i'd say better than average physical stats too

Veeda Vidlak
2010-01-27, 04:45 AM
I'd go with a gestalt factotum/archivist or artificer and have a level in the upper 20s.

Kosjsjach
2010-01-27, 05:44 AM
I think I'll second the Factotum class: Int to everything!
He'd have max ranks in all Knowledge skills... high Charisma for talking his way out of trouble...

I saw a thread once that had The Doctor as a deity that could be worshipped by a cleric. I don't remember his domains, but his alignment could vary day to day and was determined with a d10 roll (if I remember correctly):

d10 Alignment
1~2 Lawful Good
3~4 Neutral Good
5~6 Chaotic Good
7~8 Chaotic Neutral
9 Lawful Neutral
10 reroll
The cleric was given the ability to use Tongues at-will to compensate for the chance of not being able to cast spells due to conflicting alignments. :smalltongue:

BobVosh
2010-01-27, 05:57 AM
I believe the one I saw a lot of was Factotum//Artificer. He makes sense as a gestalt guy with an int focus. Was a bit silly in that they were level 30s.

Skaven
2010-01-27, 06:51 AM
Seems like more of a d20 modern character to me.

10? Dedicated Hero / 10? Smart Hero / Homebrewed Timelord PrC

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-27, 08:05 AM
His name is not Doctor Who! :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious:

Optimystik
2010-01-27, 08:25 AM
His name is not Doctor Who! :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious:

/pat
/soothe

:smalltongue:

shadow_archmagi
2010-01-27, 08:27 AM
Obviously Doctor Who would have ranks in "Sci Fi" with the "Plotline Includes Time Travel" feat, and the PrC "The Show That Would Not Die"

Kwinza
2010-01-27, 08:29 AM
Your right his name isnt Dr who, its 1 of 3 things
The doctor
The Other
(insert 1st name here) Lungbarrow

{scrubbed}

olelia
2010-01-27, 08:30 AM
Your telling us not to be pedantic when we follow rules to quite literally the letter to break physics.

shadow_archmagi
2010-01-27, 08:30 AM
It's too late. You asked us how we'd stat out Doctor Who, which is the name of the show. So we're statting the show name. Same as if you'd asked us to stat Firefly.

Kwinza
2010-01-27, 08:32 AM
{Scrubbed}

Ecalsneerg
2010-01-27, 08:43 AM
{Scrubbed} It's not exactly difficult to type The Doctor rather than Doctor Who.

Optimystik
2010-01-27, 08:45 AM
{Scrubbed}

How exactly is he being a "doosh?" :smallconfused:

SparkMandriller
2010-01-27, 08:50 AM
doctor who at her tardis

Ent
2010-01-27, 09:03 AM
DMNPC/DMPC. He just wins too much to be rolling dice.

Kwinza
2010-01-27, 09:21 AM
{Scrubbed}

Optimystik
2010-01-27, 09:25 AM
"How would you stat out 'The Doctor' from Dr. Who?" would both be accurate, and solve your problem. There's no need to insult people who are simply correcting you.

Dienekes
2010-01-27, 09:27 AM

This would explain so much.

Kwinza
2010-01-27, 09:29 AM
Your right sorry, just when you clearly understand (and the Dr is quiet often called Dr who anyway) what i meant you'd just let it slide.

But yeah either way what do you guys think his actually stats are cus i was thinking somthing like 30+ for his int..

Xenogears
2010-01-27, 09:33 AM

Massive amount of re-rolls per day? Being a greater Diety so a Nat 1 doesn't fail?

lisiecki
2010-01-27, 10:35 AM
Your right his name isnt Dr who, its 1 of 3 things
The doctor
The Other
(insert 1st name here) Lungbarrow

but on a better note, dont be so god damn pedantic!

theta sigma

Kwinza
2010-01-27, 10:45 AM
Thats just a nickname from the acadamy, not in anway his real name.
In due fairness all we know about his real name is that his surname is Lungbarrow.

lisiecki
2010-01-27, 10:49 AM
Thats just a nickname from the acadamy, not in anway his real name.
In due fairness all we know about his real name is that his surname is Lungbarrow.

You never said anything about his real name

Lisiecki isn't my real name, but anyone who knows me, calls me it

Kwinza
2010-01-27, 11:00 AM
oohhh i like this debate, tho it wont happen here cus i agree your name is what the people your cloest to refer to you as;
eg: my names dan but everyone who knows me calls me kwinza.
on this line of topic, what other names has the doc had over his 1143 years of being here?

Xenogears
2010-01-27, 11:02 AM
oohhh i like this debate, tho it wont happen here cus i agree your name is what the people your cloest to refer to you as;
on this line of topic, what other names has the doc had over his 1143 years of being here?

Well the name my sister always called him was "sexy". Granted looking at some of his older incarnations might make her change her mind...

lisiecki
2010-01-27, 11:05 AM

Drat

I wanted to cut in to ya for "in what way are the new adventures (or whatever book series that was in) official"

Also there are ANY number of fictional characters named "The Doctor" so saying "Dr Who" is completly legitimate.

In Universe his name is "The Doctor" In the real world he is OFTEN called "Dr WHO" both in the credits of the TV show, and in merchandising

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-27, 11:18 AM
Also there are ANY number of fictional characters named "The Doctor" so saying "Dr Who" is completly legitimate.

Like all three "Doctors" from The Authority. Though only 2 of them were nice. >.>

Evard
2010-01-27, 11:22 AM
Lord Victorious would have a land speed of 50 minimum with fast movement as a class feature ... he runs away... a lot :3

Why only Int based though? The Doctor is very very charismatic almost as much as he is smart. Although the doctor is smart his main weapon is his ability to hatch off his plans and get others to help him. He is able to spend minutes and minutes talking to a dallek (spelling?) to keep it from killing him on the spot.

My question is sonic screwdriver... how exactly would that work in 3.5 ad in 4e dnd.

lisiecki
2010-01-27, 11:27 AM
Like all three "Doctors" from The Authority. Though only 2 of them were nice. >.>

Wikipedia lists 9 "The Doctors" alone. I'm fairly sure that if you were to ask my sister who "The Doctor" is in SciFi she would tell you about the Doctor from Star Trek

Lord Victorious would have a land speed of 50 minimum with fast movement as a class feature ... he runs away... a lot :

My question is sonic screwdriver... how exactly would that work in 3.5 ad in 4e dnd.

It's fairly pointless to ask abotu the Doctor and his toys, they all get various powers given to them by the plot.

the more intresting thing would be to stat up companions, and then i think that d20 would be a horrible choice

Evard
2010-01-27, 11:40 AM
In the season finale the time lords (the leader) names the last two time lords outside of the time bubble as "the doctor" and "the master" so really calling him "the Doctor" is ok since it is his name (maybe not birth but still what other time lords call him who would know his actual name).

I was thinking more of a functional aspect of the sonic screwdriver that the last two doctors have used (hmm i forget if FOX's tv movie Dr Who had a sonic screwdriver...). Seems like sonic screwdriver = rogue to me, opening locks and disarming traps :3

lisiecki
2010-01-27, 11:49 AM
In the season finale the time lords (the leader) names the last two time lords outside of the time bubble as "the doctor" and "the master" so really calling him "the Doctor" is ok since it is his name (maybe not birth but still what other time lords call him who would know his actual name).

I have no idea who this is quoted from, must be some one i have blocked...

theres nothing wrong with calling him "The Doctor" but theres nothing wrong with calling him Dr WHO either.

"How would u stat our Dr who?" is a very specific question, and anyone looking at it would know what Doctor hes referring to.

"How would you stat The Doctor" could refer to multiple doctors.

Also, I have yet to see the CC for the last series finale (Because, Im sure you know that was a SERIES finale, both in British AND American terms)
is the CC "The Doctor" or "the doctor", if were going to be opaque about this lets get REALLY opaque

nekomata2
2010-01-27, 11:52 AM
It's too late. You asked us how we'd stat out Doctor Who, which is the name of the show. So we're statting the show name. Same as if you'd asked us to stat Firefly.

Well, if he had asked for the stats for Serenity, would you have given him the stats for the ship or movie?

And Kwinza, about the 1143 years, he's 906 as of "The End of Time", and you forgot the obvious alias John Smith.

As for the Doctor's stats, the Doctor Who RPG has them for him in that system, but in D&D I would really think that he has to be a DMPC, there's simply no way for players to just be him. They'd be the companions. But if you trying to be a pale imitation of him, then I'd say Factotum, and for some reason I'd give him as many skills tricks as possible.

lisiecki
2010-01-27, 12:05 PM
Well, if he had asked for the stats for Serenity, would you have given him the stats for the ship or movie?

And Kwinza, about the 1143 years, he's 906 as of "The End of Time", and you forgot the obvious alias John Smith.

Really? because as of "Vampire Science" hes 1,012

Evard
2010-01-27, 12:07 PM
well when he's talking to the old man he says he's 900 ish years old (i forget the exact year) maybe he lived so long he is forgetting his own age?

lisiecki
2010-01-27, 12:09 PM

Ok, help me out here. EVERY SINGLE actor to play the Doctor from seasions 1-18 as well as christopher eccleston, in the credits of the show, is credited as playing "Dr Who" not "the doctor" so your saying, that he was infact, playing the part of the show, from within the show?

Damn thats meta

chiasaur11
2010-01-27, 02:45 PM
Drat

I wanted to cut in to ya for "in what way are the new adventures (or whatever book series that was in) official"

Also there are ANY number of fictional characters named "The Doctor" so saying "Dr Who" is completely legitimate.

In Universe his name is "The Doctor" In the real world he is OFTEN called "Dr WHO" both in the credits of the TV show, and in merchandising

And that one time with WOTON, right?

And the New Adventures fit in quite easily. The canonicity policy of "Everything (except Noddy)" works wonders.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-01-27, 03:20 PM
He's obviously a half-elf gestalt factotum//bard leaning heavily on the factotum's ridiculous Int, knowledge, and general skill (plus UMD, of course) to use his various gadgets and the half-elf bard's Soothing Voice ability to stop combat. I mean, really, every single time the Doctor is confronted by hostile aliens and goes "Wait wait wait wait wait, we can talk about this"...every single time he's captured by Daleks and isn't immediately EX-TER-MI-NATEd so he can talk...every single time you're thinking Why the hell don't they just shoot him, they should know better? That's Soothing Voice right there.

The Big Dice
2010-01-27, 03:24 PM
You can't go by books and other spin off media as being Doctor Who canon in any way, shpe or form. If you don't believe me, go read Human Nature, then watch the two part story that's Human Nature/Family of Blood. And both were written by the same guy, Paul Cornell. You can only go by what's on the screen. The Other, and the rest of the Cartmel Master Plan, never made it to screen. And Lungbarrow was trumped when Russel T Davies said that the Woman in the End of Time specials was the Doctor's mother.

As for statting the Doctor up as a character, the best version of him I've seen was a Mutants and Mastermind version. Phsically he wasn't all that, but his mental stats were in the mid 20s. He's not particularly powerful in and of himself, only having very low grade telepathy, but he did have the ability to build PL X devices.

For those that don't know the system, that means he could build things that were potentially unlimited in their power. Things in M&M are rated according to their Power Level. For comparison, guys like Spider-Man and Deadpool would be around 10-11, Superman and Silver Surfer around 15-16 and Galactus (the purple guy in the funky hat, not Ultimate or movie Galactus) at 20+. At Power Level X, there are no limits.

For the sonic screwdriver I'd have to dig out GURPS Ultra Tech. At a guess I'd say it's a TL 16 sonic probe, with a built in medscanner and it can function as a tool kit. I'd also say it's got a telepathic readout, since it's been established several times that there's a telepathic component to both Time Lords and their technology.

Evard
2010-01-27, 03:41 PM
He's obviously a half-elf gestalt factotum//bard leaning heavily on the factotum's ridiculous Int, knowledge, and general skill (plus UMD, of course) to use his various gadgets and the half-elf bard's Soothing Voice ability to stop combat. I mean, really, every single time the Doctor is confronted by hostile aliens and goes "Wait wait wait wait wait, we can talk about this"...every single time he's captured by Daleks and isn't immediately EX-TER-MI-NATEd so he can talk...every single time you're thinking Why the hell don't they just shoot him, they should know better? That's Soothing Voice right there.

we can go up to my room, i have a gun hidden underneath my bed... lol sorry that movie popped into my head

But yes his ability to keep things from killing him is a testament to his most powerful weapon, not his mind but how he uses his mind. All the intelligence in the world won't save you from being killed if all you can do is rattle off incoherent stream of words.

chiasaur11
2010-01-27, 03:45 PM
You can't go by books and other spin off media as being Doctor Who canon in any way, shpe or form. If you don't believe me, go read Human Nature, then watch the two part story that's Human Nature/Family of Blood. And both were written by the same guy, Paul Cornell. You can only go by what's on the screen. The Other, and the rest of the Cartmel Master Plan, never made it to screen. And Lungbarrow was trumped when Russel T Davies said that the Woman in the End of Time specials was the Doctor's mother.

You can and you should, pally.

Allow me to point out an article by that selfsame Paul Cornell.

It's here. (http://teatimebrutality.blogspot.com/2009/07/canon-and-sheep-****-why-we-fight.html)

Rook takes queen. Your move.

Zadus
2010-01-27, 03:50 PM
I've wanted to bring the Doctor into a D&D game for some time. I think the Cybermen'll show up the PC's will have to thwart them with the Doctors assistance/direction. That kind of stuff can just happen in the Dr. who universe right? Time travel and dimension jumping means he can show up in any campaign.

Regardless. He's can't be statted in my books. Really, all he needs is the ability to run a little bit faster than the next fastest guy and the win button known as the sonic screwdriver combined with the doctors intellect.

He's also gotta say stuff like, "Awwwwh That's just brilliant! You're very very clever." at every opportunity.

Zadus
2010-01-27, 03:54 PM
we can go up to my room, i have a gun hidden underneath my bed... lol sorry that movie popped into my head

But yes his ability to keep things from killing him is a testament to his most powerful weapon, not his mind but how he uses his mind. All the intelligence in the world won't save you from being killed if all you can do is rattle off incoherent stream of words.

Unless you know the anti-life equation

Thurbane
2010-01-27, 08:36 PM
Am I the only one that remembers there was a Dr Who before Christopher Eccleston? :smalltongue:

While the earlier series didn't have the effects or bugdet of 2005+ run, they had some awesome stories, and brilliant actors. I would suggest anyone who is only familiar with the recent Doctor Who buy (or rent) some of the 60s to 80s series.

Some personal favorites of mine are:

The Ark in Space
Seeds of Doom
Deadly Assassin
Wolves of Fenric
Earthshock
Genesis of the Daleks

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-01-28, 12:00 AM
Am I the only one that remembers there was a Dr Who before Christopher Eccleston? :smalltongue:

As a matter of fact, I just spent winter break watching every single Doctor Who episode (as I hadn't seen the show at all before) and finished part 2 of The End of Time earlier today. So yes, pre-2005 Doctor Who is fresh in my mind.:smallbiggrin:

industrious
2010-01-28, 12:21 AM
For me, Sylvester McCoy is the Doctor. Followed by Tom Baker.

And as for the age thing, the Seventh Doctor states that he is 953. So Nine and Ten are lying about their ages.

Class-wise, definitely a factotum. Epic level. And he's rolled natural ones before(Remembrance of the Daleks Part One, Midnight, Blink, when he regenerated into Six...)

Inyssius Tor
2010-01-28, 12:33 AM
In 4e: Bard. 's all there is to it, really. He's got to be a bard.

Possibly a deva bard, for the alien immortality and regeneration, but it's not obligatory.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-01-28, 02:35 AM

I don't know which of those two I like better, but I definitely think the Fourth, Seventh, and Tenth Doctors are the best.

lisiecki
2010-01-28, 03:16 AM

And as for the age thing, the Seventh Doctor states that he is 953. So Nine and Ten are lying about their ages.

Class-wise, definitely a factotum. Epic level. And he's rolled natural ones before(Remembrance of the Daleks Part One, Midnight, Blink, when he regenerated into Six...)

Or the Pre2004 and post 2004 series are different continuity.
the post 2004 series strikes me as being very "Ultimate Doctor Who" for some reason.

The Big Dice
2010-01-28, 08:40 AM
You can and you should, pally.

Allow me to point out an article by that selfsame Paul Cornell.

It's here. (http://teatimebrutality.blogspot.com/2009/07/canon-and-sheep-****-why-we-fight.html)

Rook takes queen. Your move.

Interesting read, however since the episodes in question are based on a book that's now freely available online, let me counter with this. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/index.shtml)

That's clearly a picture of Sylvester McCoy on there, and the tag states that it inspired the episode. There may not be an official canon for Who in the same way that other shows have, but most debtes of this nature agree that what's seen on screen trumps what's seen elsewhere.

Knight takes rook.

Eddums
2010-01-28, 12:54 PM

Or Seven is lying about his. :smalltongue:

lisiecki
2010-01-28, 01:04 PM
Doctor #1 450
Doctor #4 759
Doctor #6 900
Doctor #7 953
Doctor #9 900/903
Doctor #10 900
The Master also ages the Doctor 100 years, and tells humanity that The Doctor is 900 years old
In the End of Time, he says hes 906

Novels ECT

Doctor #7 991/1,000
Doctor #8 1012 (has spent 600 years on Orbis, 1600ish)

estradling
2010-01-28, 02:02 PM
The age thing isn't really a problem... He is a Time Lord.

Just because in our view of time, it seems messed up... It's based on the assumption that Time Lords age in the same linear fashion as humans do