PDA

View Full Version : wizard with a nuke??

Kwinza
2010-01-27, 06:52 AM
this might be me being wierd here but i could swear i heard of a build of wizard(or somthing like it) that could once a day pretty much set off a nuke?
anyone remember this or know how its done?

cheers

JaronK
2010-01-27, 06:57 AM
Locate City Bomb. Do a search for that, it should answer your question.

JaronK

Volkov
2010-01-27, 07:36 AM
Locate City Bomb. Do a search for that, it should answer your question.

JaronK

Stop lying to him, we all know that the locate city bomb doesn't actually work.

JaronK
2010-01-27, 07:40 AM
...I didn't lie, I gave him exactly what he asked for. And it does work, though some want to play with the technicallities and can argue that the table trumps the text (the usual argument is that Locate City is a circle and thus everyone gets shifted up 5', but the text clearly states it's 3D as it talks about restrictions finding underground cities, thus it's a spherical burst). Either way, that's what he's refering to. There are variants using spells like Apocalypse From the Sky, but the general trick is the Locate City Bomb.

Unless you believe it's something else and would like to contribute something useful, like answering his question with what you believe to be the truth?

JaronK

SparkMandriller
2010-01-27, 07:44 AM
Setting off a nuke once per day might just refer to blowing all their spell slots on one encounter, really. Wizards with no restraint do tend to be pretty killy.

Or just the LCB that is pretty cool when you think about it.

Tinydwarfman
2010-01-27, 07:44 AM
Even if it was a circle, wouldn't it just fling people horizontally? Does explosive spell have to move them upwards?

2xMachina
2010-01-27, 07:45 AM
^ It might, or might not work, depending on how you see LC works. IMO, it's a cylinder (3d circle), from the description, but...

Anyway, it's certainly not only once per day. LCB can be cast through a pretty low lvl spell slot.

Nuke... well, many ways to do it. Apoc from the sky... Or Epic Spells. True Creation Anti Matter/Uranium.

Edit: Wow, Ninjaed badly.

Volkov
2010-01-27, 07:56 AM
For evokers, a nuke can be done by using metamagic cheese on say, delayed blast fireball.

mikej
2010-01-27, 08:01 AM
For evokers, a nuke can be done by using metamagic cheese on say, delayed blast fireball.

Just go Conjurer, take Incantatrix and just metamagic Orbs. Not soo flashy like a nuke but get's the job done if you want to blast.

The already mentioned Apocalypse from the Sky does the trick nicely.

Volkov
2010-01-27, 08:03 AM
For a certain epic level kobold rogue I played with who prowls the internet with the username Hive Tyrant Omicron now....You can just teleport into a sci-fi universe, steal a thermonuclear bomb and shove it down the throats of any enemy that pisses you off.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-27, 08:04 AM
this might be me being wierd here but i could swear i heard of a build of wizard(or somthing like it) that could once a day pretty much set off a nuke?
Once a day?

Are you referring to the Hadoken?

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-27, 08:10 AM
Major Creation (Plutonium)? Once/lifetime, more like, but for many wizards that might be 1/day. Nothing else properly irradiates the surroundings.

Ernir
2010-01-27, 08:20 AM
Not sure a Wizard can do it as well as a Sorcerer (or at all, really, I'm AFB), but silly-stacked (greater) Arcane Fusion and Arcane Spellsurge should make it possible to blow out your slots for the day in a single round.

Eldariel
2010-01-27, 09:00 AM
Yeah, Wizard just metastacks an Orb or Combust or friggin' Scintillating Sphere for all they case; just pick a spell, cram it chockful of metamagic and see things go boom. Things to assist cramming it full of MM:
- Incantatrix [PGtF]
- Arcane Thesis [PHBII]
- Practical Metamagic [RoTD]
- Easy Metamagic [DRXXX]
- Metamagic School Focus [CM]

Or play a Shadowcraft Mage.

bosssmiley
2010-01-27, 09:29 AM
I've been trying to find a link to the Nuclear Suicide Wizard "Rocks fall!" parody monster, but to no avail. I have teh suck. :smallannoyed:

Eldan
2010-01-27, 09:43 AM
There was a thread on "how to destroy a planet". That should give you some ideas. Rundown from what I remember:

-Gate to another plane, build a small room of walls of force, second gate in that room to the center of the next sun.

-Orbital walls of force to move a planet of it's orbit around the sun.

-Creating anti-osmium for annihilation reaction.

-Creating a special heat-resistant material and then using prestidigitation to raise it's temperature, 10° at a time, until the atmosphere starts undergoing fusion.

There were more.

Runestar
2010-01-27, 10:13 AM
A shadowcraft mage would be able to spontaneously cast apocalypse from the sky as a standard action without the need for a minor artifact as the material component. :smallbiggrin:

Anonymouswizard
2010-01-27, 03:09 PM
MUNCHKIN MG: chapter 2/3, spell called thermonuclear airburst.

:smallfurious:****************ing XP cost!

Radar
2010-01-27, 03:14 PM
MUNCHKIN MG: chapter 2/3, spell called thermonuclear airburst.

:smallfurious:****************ing XP cost!
Again: everything is better with Shadowcraft Mage. :smallcool:

Ravens_cry
2010-01-27, 03:21 PM
Step 1: Refine a small chip of Uranium 235.
Step 2: Create Simulacrum of yourself able to cast Major Creation
Step 3:Give chip to snow clone.
Step 4: Simularicum casts Major Creation:Uranium 235 at target destination.
Step 5: Reflex Save against Thrown Books and/or Dice and/or Real Nuke.

Volkov
2010-01-27, 03:55 PM

Pfft, I have an ability that lends me a natural 20 on any and all reflex saves against any objects thrown by players or dms. And I possess improved evasion.

Evard
2010-01-27, 03:56 PM
silly people there is NO SUCH THING as a wizard with (owning) a nuke... There is only a wizard using a nuke :3 lol

Volkov
2010-01-27, 03:58 PM
silly people there is NO SUCH THING as a wizard with (owning) a nuke... There is only a wizard using a nuke :3 lol

I have three wizards with an inventory list that would like to disagree with you, but *sees angry mob* I'm apparently no longer allowed to talk about my campaign or any of the campaigns of anyone in my old DM's group.

sofawall
2010-01-27, 04:04 PM
Again: everything is better with Shadowcraft Mage. :smallcool:

I love casting spells as Su. abilities.

The Glyphstone
2010-01-27, 04:06 PM
I'm pretty sure your campaigns would count as statistical outliers anyways, considering the other stories you've told regarding things like gigantic paragon psuedonatural penguin elder overgods.:smallcool:

lsfreak
2010-01-27, 06:00 PM

That won't do much. It'll irradiate a lot, but no boom. Granted, most people probably wouldn't have any idea why they were standing in the town square and suddenly started feeling a prickly, burning feeling all over their skin... so you could potentially give a whole lot of people lethal radiation poisoning.

But again, not possible to trigger a nuclear explosion just by planting fizzle material somewhere.

Evard
2010-01-27, 06:07 PM
I have three wizards with an inventory list that would like to disagree with you, but *sees angry mob* I'm apparently no longer allowed to talk about my campaign or any of the campaigns of anyone in my old DM's group.

sorry that my message wasn't clearer, i was joking about the joke "if a wizard read a sign that said "push to end the world" then the paint wouldn't have time to dry"
or something like that ^-^

jiriku
2010-01-27, 06:47 PM
For a nuke, you want something more like a kinetic energy weapon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129080&highlight=Thor+Project).

The locate city bomb, especially if cast at TO-caster level, is more properly classified as a dinosaur-killer.

Beorn080
2010-01-27, 07:38 PM
For added fun with that KEW, make it out of gold and shock it while in space for an hour. Then coat it in rubber then lead, and drop it. Object hits, massive electrical spike as well.

Volkov
2010-01-27, 07:53 PM
I'm pretty sure your campaigns would count as statistical outliers anyways, considering the other stories you've told regarding things like gigantic paragon psuedonatural penguin elder overgods.:smallcool:

And a +100 everything bane ghost touch, keen, vorpal, returning, everdancing, longsword with all the energy types set to blast.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-28, 01:00 AM
That won't do much. It'll irradiate a lot, but no boom. Granted, most people probably wouldn't have any idea why they were standing in the town square and suddenly started feeling a prickly, burning feeling all over their skin... so you could potentially give a whole lot of people lethal radiation poisoning.

But again, not possible to trigger a nuclear explosion just by planting fizzle material somewhere.
Critical mass (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_mass), baby. Critical. Mass. You can create with major creation enough uranium 235 to undergo a supercritcal nuclear reaction. It's like a gun type nuclear weapon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-type_fission_weapon), only there is no need to keep the pieces sub critical as the mass is instantly created as a whole by major creation. That's what the snow clone is for, to cast the spell.
I have become Death, destroyer of campaigns.:smallbiggrin:

Jayabalard
2010-01-28, 07:48 AM
Major Creation (Plutonium)? That doesn't really do what he's asking at all.