PDA

View Full Version : Team Peregrine

Ellye
2010-01-27, 07:47 AM
Comic #701 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0701.html) shows that Redcloak is about to give a speech, and apparently all goblinoids or almost all of them are there to hear it.
This seems like a perfect distraction for Team Peregrine (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0670.html) to do whatever they plan on doing. At very least, they can surely gain a lot of intel right now, as they will likely also hear the speech.
Any thoughts?

Optimystik
2010-01-27, 08:03 AM
Peregrine doing anything right now would be suicide I think... unless their target is somewhere else in the city, while all the gobbos are being distracted by their beloved Supreme Leader.

Perhaps a raid on the prison is in order?

Closak
2010-01-27, 08:43 AM
Perhaps a raid on the prison is in order?

Exactly what i'm thinking.

Since everyone is there for the big speech security in the prison won't be very heavy.

Perfect opportunity, quick in, grab the prisoners, then quick out again before anyone realizes what the hell just happened.

Teddy
2010-01-27, 08:53 AM
Perhaps they will burn the granaries and armories. that will be a huge setback for the goblins.

Thorcrest
2010-01-27, 10:14 AM
Perhaps they will burn the granaries and armories. that will be a huge setback for the goblins.

But not for the undead which would simply replace them.

Closak
2010-01-27, 10:16 AM
Losing the slaves and having the resistances numbers bolstered however...

Now THAT would be a real pain.

Shadowbane
2010-01-27, 10:37 AM
They are probably still gathering intel, I rather doubt they would try anything during Redcloak's speech.

Scarlet Knight
2010-01-27, 10:56 AM
"This is Team Peregrine. Pinpoint artillary fire on the co-ordinates for the town square and hurry! Over"

Optimystik
2010-01-27, 10:59 AM
They are probably still gathering intel, I rather doubt they would try anything during Redcloak's speech.

If they're smart, they will - just about every nonessential goblin in the city is in that square right now. What better time to coordinate an evac right under Redcloak's despotic nose?

Of course, that might be just what he wants. :smalleek:

Teddy
2010-01-27, 03:28 PM
"This is Team Peregrine. Pinpoint artillary fire on the co-ordinates for the town square and hurry! Over"

There is no time to set up an artillery battery. What they need is an air strike (i.e. a squadron of dragons strafing the area with their breath a few times before disappearing again).

If they're smart, they will - just about every nonessential goblin in the city is in that square right now. What better time to coordinate an evac right under Redcloak's despotic nose?

Of course, that might be just what he wants. :smalleek:

That's a possibility, and a really original plan that actually doesn't seem too OoC to Redcloak. :smalleek:

veti
2010-01-27, 04:33 PM
There is no time to set up an artillery battery. What they need is an air strike (i.e. a squadron of dragons strafing the area with their breath a few times before disappearing again).

A squadron of dragons? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say: if they had that kind of firepower at their disposal, we'd have seen it by now.

Of course the same applies to artillery. The tech level to fire projectiles over that kind of range, let alone hit a target the size of a mere one building, is way beyond anything that's been hinted at in OOTS. Medieval trebuchets had a range of maybe a quarter of a mile.

Airship bombardment is a possibility, but it'd be a probable-suicide mission for the crew.

No, if they do anything it's going to be well away from Reddy and the audience.

ThePhantasm
2010-01-27, 05:23 PM
I'm actually far more interested in what Redcloak is up to than anything Team Peregrin might be doing.

Optimystik
2010-01-27, 05:40 PM
Mobilizing the phylactery hunt? Announcing his imminent departure from Goblintopia? Both?

VampireRot
2010-01-27, 11:29 PM
I think we're going about this the wrong way. Sure, Team Peregrine is an elite elven strike force. But I think they're something more... I think they're... PCs... So what are they doing now?

"I search for treasure!"

:smalltongue:

DBear
2010-01-28, 12:36 AM
So you don't think they'll try to assassinate Redcloak?

Hmm...assassinate Redcloak, goblin nation goes on roaring rampage of revenge...Redcloak becomes a gawd?:smalleek:

Scarlet Knight
2010-01-28, 11:22 AM
I think we're going about this the wrong way. Sure, Team Peregrine is an elite elven strike force. But I think they're something more... I think they're... PCs... So what are they doing now?

"I search for treasure!"

:smalltongue:

Cloud Kill?

Or if lower level, make smoke, cross-fire, and let panic do the rest...

:belkar: "When in doubt, set something on fire!"

CoffeeIncluded
2010-01-28, 02:53 PM
I was wondering: Could Team Peregrine be made of of elves who followed/supported Lirian?

veti
2010-01-28, 03:30 PM
I was wondering: Could Team Peregrine be made of of elves who followed/supported Lirian?

Unlikely. Hinjo describes them as "old allies", which I read as "allies of long standing" rather than "allies of advanced age" or "allies who've been out of touch for a while". And if I'm right in that interpretation, that means the Sapphire Guard have been in contact with them fairly recently - which would rule out anyone associated with Lirian, because of Soon's oath.

Optimystik
2010-01-28, 03:32 PM
The Oath does tend to throw a wrench into being associated with Lirian, though I wouldn't put it past Rich to find a way around that.

Ranger Mattos
2010-01-28, 06:46 PM
Losing the slaves and having the resistances numbers bolstered however...

Now THAT would be a real pain.

I agree. To me that seems like a better idea, it would hurt the goblins, and simultaneously increase the Resistance's resources (even if all the slaves they happen to liberate are Commoners).

Darius1020
2010-01-28, 10:22 PM
So you don't think they'll try to assassinate Redcloak?

Hmm...assassinate Redcloak, goblin nation goes on roaring rampage of revenge...Redcloak becomes a gawd?:smalleek:

That would actually make for a cool thing to happen later in the series, but i'll keep my speculation to myself...

EyethatBinds
2010-01-29, 02:59 AM
Unlikely that it will go anywhere. I'm thinking it'll just be another pointless diversion for a comic or two at best. Hopefully there will be a decent punchline at the end of the next comic. It has been awhile.

Scarlet Knight
2010-01-29, 01:56 PM
Unlikely. Hinjo describes them as "old allies", which I read as "allies of long standing" rather than "allies of advanced age" or "allies who've been out of touch for a while". And if I'm right in that interpretation, that means the Sapphire Guard have been in contact with them fairly recently - which would rule out anyone associated with Lirian, because of Soon's oath.

They're elves. They can be both "allies who've been out of touch for a while" AND ones who hung out with Hinjo's great, great, great grandfather...:smallsmile:

Vemynal
2010-01-29, 02:38 PM
technically Soon passed leadership of the guard to Shojo's father, Soon and Hinjo arn't related

Teddy
2010-01-29, 06:13 PM
Unlikely that it will go anywhere. I'm thinking it'll just be another pointless diversion for a comic or two at best. Hopefully there will be a decent punchline at the end of the next comic. It has been awhile.

The speach!? I don't think that such an anti-climax will be especially well-recieved among the fans. You don't build an enormous crowd for a punchline, you do it for the plot.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-01-29, 06:55 PM
technically Soon passed leadership of the guard to Shojo's father, Soon and Hinjo arn't related

That still doesn't rule out Shojo's father (and, by extension, Hinjo) being a blood relative of Soon.

Still, Soon doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to love another after taking on that quest to avenge his wife, MiJung.

Shojo's father could have been related to Soon in some other way besides a descendant.

Teleporker
2010-01-29, 07:13 PM
If I recall correctly, team Peregrine is one out of potentially multiple infiltration teams. However, the hobbos are multiple legions, so, the team's numerical advantage would rely on remaining unnoticed. Whatever they're doing, sounds more likely to be stealth moves and underground sabotage than direct, visible action.

They may be listening for information, looking for weak spots, and waiting for a chance to strike from the shadows when Hinjo returns with a more massive and prepared army. They're the monkey wrench in the hobbo army gears.

If Redcloak is announcing his departure, they can probably use the opportunity to disrupt things from inside. Cause some internal chaos. Have the hobbos looking towards the other side when Hinjo charges. Maybe even cause a little power struggle. Nothing like well-applied "alter self" tactics to challenge the leadership of whoever Redcloak leaves in charge.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-01-29, 08:19 PM

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Erfworld there?

ThePhantasm
2010-01-30, 07:41 PM
I envision it as being more of a behind-the-scenes sort of thing. Redcloak gives a rousing speech, then goes and finds out that a third of the human prisoners escaped in the night. Or something.

Something will happen that will make Team Evil get out of dodge now and start out for the next gate....

Ancalagon
2010-01-30, 08:13 PM
Something will happen that will make Team Evil get out of dodge now and start out for the next gate....

You mean like finding Xykon's phylactery? ;)

Secris
2010-01-30, 09:59 PM
The equivalent of placing some other kind of demolition charge on all the doors and anywhere else they can think of: Explosive Runes. I don't think it's gonna happen, but it would be funny if they just planted Explosive Runes everywhere. "What's that tiny scribbling at the base of the tower. Explosi... crap."

ThePhantasm
2010-01-31, 01:27 AM
You mean like finding Xykon's phylactery? ;)

Well, that's actually what is holding them up now... I was thinking something that will get them on the move immediately, saying "What the heck, I don't have time to look for the phylactery!" Something that gets the plot moving.

Ancalagon
2010-01-31, 04:21 AM
Well, that's actually what is holding them up now... I was thinking something that will get them on the move immediately, saying "What the heck, I don't have time to look for the phylactery!" Something that gets the plot moving.

I think you are little late with that theory.

The IFFC did already that. As soon they found the phylactery, they are out of there. And in contrary, they also won't go before they foundit. What other reason do you need?
It's not Xykon would even let Redcloak stay "just a little longer" after the phylactery was found.

Teddy
2010-01-31, 10:09 AM
Are you sure you aren't thinking of Erfworld there?

Actually not. I was just thinking of the medieval fantasy equivalent of a modern day jet fighter, and dragons are the only creature that I can think of that fits.

ThePhantasm
2010-01-31, 08:46 PM
The IFFC did already that. As soon they found the phylactery, they are out of there. And in contrary, they also won't go before they foundit. What other reason do you need?
It's not Xykon would even let Redcloak stay "just a little longer" after the phylactery was found.

I'm saying an immediate threat would make them leave IMMEDIATELY, BEFORE they find the phylactery. So no, I wasn't being redundant with regards to what the IFFC accomplished, and you're merely stating the opposite ("they also won't go before they foundit") isn't a legit argument to the contrary by any stretch of the imagination.

couldn't Team Peregrin threaten the search itself?

PallElendro
2010-02-05, 06:05 PM
I was hoping for Abraham Lincoln style kill, an arrow to the head.

Draconi Redfir
2010-02-05, 11:34 PM
im guessing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0702.html) the Elves have allready been delt with

slayerx
2010-02-05, 11:45 PM
I think this would indeed be an ideal time for the elves to strike.
It's only been about a week since they entered and i would wager to guess they have been keeping low... if they are as professional as they seemed to be, RC may not even realize there are more elven insurgents

As such, not only would the guard of the hobgoblins have been lowered, but he would not be expecting magical attack... the prisons are still guarded, but only by those expecting low-mid level fighters... they would not be expecting Wizards or higher level clerics

this is actually a terrible time for redcloak to leave as this is when the rebels are gonna start getting serious...

im guessing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0702.html) the Elves have allready been delt with

I think redcloak was referring to V.
He's talking about the hobgoblins needing to search for Xykon's thingy-mabob
the reason he uses the plural is because he was never certain if V was working alone, and thus does not want to jump to that conclusion

Math_Mage
2010-02-06, 03:13 AM

V is a far better fit with a recent unprovoked terrorist attack by elven insurgents (how embarrassing would it be for it to be just one!) that led to large quantities of hobgoblins being drafted for 'a secret project' (finding the phylactery).

Besides, think how wasteful it would be for Rich to introduce Team Peregrine and then kill them off-screen.

DavidBV
2010-02-06, 03:27 AM
My guess is, they will appear in this mini-arc, otherwise the delay between their appearance in the strip and their first real action would be extremely long. Also, if they don't appear now, they will probably not confront the main villians (which likely are about to leave), which would be a shame and make it all much less funny.

Also what if the whole actions of Team Peregrine are for bonus strips once the next book is released? That may be the case too, but that would mean they failed to affect the plot in any ways, which would be a little disappointing.

Nimrod's Son
2010-02-06, 03:30 AM
Also what if the whole actions of Team Peregrine are for bonus strips once the next book is released? That may be the case too, but that would mean they failed to affect the plot in any ways, which would be a little disappointing.
If they were intended as print-only characters, the author would never have introduced them in the online strip at all. They're coming back at some point.

Draconi Redfir
2010-02-06, 03:40 AM
V is a far better fit with a recent unprovoked terrorist attack by elven insurgents (how embarrassing would it be for it to be just one!) that led to large quantities of hobgoblins being drafted for 'a secret project' (finding the phylactery).

Besides, think how wasteful it would be for Rich to introduce Team Peregrine and then kill them off-screen.

i dunno. the moment i heard "terroist attacks" (meaning more then one) by elvin INSERGENTS (again, more then one) i thought of team peregrine.

Nimrod's Son
2010-02-06, 04:09 AM
i dunno. the moment i heard "terroist attacks" (meaning more then one) by elvin INSERGENTS (again, more then one) i thought of team peregrine.
He was talking about V; Team Peregrine's role has still to come into play.

Even if Redcloak knew for certain that V acted alone, admitting to his new city that all the recent chaos was the work of one solitary elf would have made him look weak in the eyes of his people. Therefore, V becomes part of a network of "elven insurgents" that may or may not still be a threat to the city. The fact that V himself is unaware of this is beside the point.

There is not a single dictator in history who, in Redcloak's position, would have stood on that balcony and announced to the population that the reason they've had to leave their jobs and routines to trawl the sewers night and day looking for a fancy necklace, is because they had been attacked (once) by "an elf".

Eladrinblade
2010-02-06, 04:54 AM
A long time ago I predicted that V and her shenanigans in Xykons tower would inadvertantly get team Peregine caught, because the goblins would be ready for more elves.

Also, :belkar:"wacky old dude with the cat" was CG, so it might have been him who allied with the elves knowing about Lirian and the gates and what not.

slayerx
2010-02-06, 11:41 AM
If they were intended as print-only characters, the author would never have introduced them in the online strip at all. They're coming back at some point.

Eh, i disagree...
i mean when it comes down to it, the story is about the order of the stick and the gates... the liberation of azure city is a massive subplot of no importance to the remainder of the plot... as such i doubt rich is gonna be showing us much about the on going actions of the rebels and the elves... and hell he did not even bother to give us names for the elves in that party.

the reason he showed us team Peregrine was to simply tells us that the elves are coming to help the people... when it comes down to it, team peregrine is just the start of more elven insurgents. they might pop up in the main strip once or twice more but after that the focus of the comic will shift back to the gates.

really, the liberation of azure city could actually be a whole book in and of itself

Nimrod's Son
2010-02-07, 12:30 AM
hell he did not even bother to give us names for the elves in that party.
Give him chance, eh? They've only been in one strip so far, and had no reason to give out their names in that scene. It would have been distracting, if anything.

I never said that they'd be important characters. But whether they act as a single strike team or part of a mass influx of elves, it's pretty much a guarantee they'll appear again. It'd be a pointless loose end to give them such a dramatic entrance and then never speak of them again. Rich is obviously fond of little details and kinda against pointless speculation, so I doubt he'd leave that one hanging. And given that a fair chunk of his readership don't buy the books, keeping it as a print-exclusive thing would be a bit jarring.

DoctorIllithid
2010-02-07, 01:34 PM
After the unprovoked attack on this very tower by elven insurgents...

That probably means RedCloak, Xykon, Jirix, and Tsukiko killed them.

Optimystik
2010-02-07, 01:37 PM
That probably means RedCloak, Xykon, Jirix, and Tsukiko killed them.

He is referring to V there - The plural is propaganda, nothing more.

Only V has attacked the tower, and only his attack led to a "secret project." (i.e. finding the phylactery.)

Lamech
2010-02-07, 03:16 PM
terrorist attack is what Redcloak said. One single attack on the tower. Redcloak is either lying about the numbers, counting the soul splice as multiple people, assuming one lone elf couldn't get multiple soul splices with out help or that V would have need help to get in.

BUT it means that Team Peregrine is still out their plotting their strike. Worst case senario is that they attack the square right now kill a bunch of hobgobs. Cause then they hit the childern and civillians, and then they look really bad to all the outside on lookers. And Redcloak can claim that his war was just to stop the geneocide and gain a huge propaganda victory. And the slain soldiers can just be turned into wights or bone creatures or what not anyway. Besides Redcloak and the MitD are standing right their; team peregrine may be powerful but they can't defeat those two.

What they should be doing is attempting to free the slaves or hit the weapon production facilities or something.