PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spell Turning vs. Disjunction?

Cheesegear
2010-01-27, 09:53 AM
Easy question (or not so easy, considering I have to ask);

What happens when Disjunction is cast, and there is a person/item/etc. protected or enchanted with Spell Turning?

Does Spell Turning 'deflect' the Disjunction effect since Disjunction is a spell? Or does Disjunction cancel Spell Turning enchantments?

Tyndmyr
2010-01-27, 09:59 AM
Spell turning affects spells targetting you.

Disjunction is a burst.

So, no.

BobVosh
2010-01-27, 10:15 AM
Is an interesting question.

Let us pretend dysjunction was a ray. I'm guessing it turns.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-27, 10:34 AM
Let us pretend dysjunction was a ray.
Why? Mage’s disjunction is a burst, not a ray.

That said, Tyndmyr is correct. Spell turning is explicit that it only affects targeted spells.

I'm guessing it turns.
You would be incorrect. Ray spells are a effect spells, not targeted spells. See the entry of the individual spells. They have “Effect: Ray,” not “Target: x.” So they are unaffected by spell turning as well.

Spell Turning[/i] (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/spellsS.html#spell-turning)"]Spells and spell-like effects targeted on you are turned back upon the original caster. The abjuration turns only spells that have you as a target. Effect and area spells are not affected. Spell turning also fails to stop touch range spells.
(emphasis mine)

Tyndmyr
2010-01-27, 10:47 AM
Is an interesting question.

Let us pretend dysjunction was a ray. I'm guessing it turns.

If it was a targetted spell, then yes, it would turn.

IIRC there may be another form of disjunction, perhaps in ray form, in SpC. Not 100% on the details, though.

Optimystik
2010-01-27, 11:04 AM
Technically, rays aren't "targeted" either - so Spell Turning is ineffective there as well.

Douglas
2010-01-27, 11:48 AM
Spell Turning does nothing against area spells, so Disjunction works like normal and dispels everything, including the Spell Turning.

A better question would be targeted Greater Dispel Magic vs Spell Turning. If GDM is cast targeting a creature who is protected by Spell Turning, it is reflected and attempts to dispel the caster instead. If GDM is cast targeting the Spell Turning spell (or any other single spell) specifically, it is not reflected and gets to make its dispel check normally.

Cheesegear
2010-01-27, 12:10 PM
Right. I see my mistake.

I blame the influence (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0636.html). Silly OotS making me believe that Disjunction is a targeted spell. :smallannoyed:

Sliver
2010-01-27, 12:10 PM
Let us pretend Disjunction was a targeted spell. I'm guessing it turns.

If you change the spell so it is a valid target for spell turning, it is a valid target to be turned. There is not much to discuss or ask about here..