PDA

View Full Version : Skill Mastery & UMD

Ditto
2010-01-27, 10:39 AM
Stemming from a FAQ thread question, I'm branching this off for discussion: Can you use Skill Mastery on a UMD check to take 10?

Here, (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20060328a) the Skill Mastery blurb referenced on the Wizards site for Artificers states Skill Mastery allows an Artificer to take 10 on UMD or Spellcraft checks. I don't have the Eberron books - does this version of Skill Mastery say something different for how it works with Artificers vs. the Rogue version? (For instance, the Swashbuckler has 'Acrobatic Skill Mastery' that is restricted to Jump and Tumble checks.)

I'm trying to find the reference, but someone on the Wizards board indicated the Sage had answered this question before that you CAN use Skill Mastery.

Bayar
2010-01-27, 11:55 AM
Specific situations troump general. In this case, the Artificier gains Skill MAstery in UMD and Spellcraft checks. It specifically states that this ability circumverts the normal limits on UMD.

Tehnar
2010-01-27, 12:54 PM
I think by RAW the answer is yes, but it is still very ambiguous.

Skill Mastery

The rogue becomes so certain in the use of certain skills that she can use them reliably even under adverse conditions.

Upon gaining this ability, she selects a number of skills equal to 3 + her Intelligence modifier. When making a skill check with one of these skills, she may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so. A rogue may gain this special ability multiple times, selecting additional skills for it to apply to each time.

Special

You cannot take 10 with this skill.

A case for yes can be made from the wording of the warlocks Deceive Item ability, which is very similar to the Skill Mastery description.

When making a Use Magic Device check, a warlock can take 10 even if distracted or threatened.

In the end I feel it is not unbalancing that you allow skill mastery to apply to UMD.

Nate the Snake
2010-01-27, 02:21 PM
In the end I feel it is not unbalancing that you allow skill mastery to apply to UMD.

The problem is the skill, not Skill Mastery. UMD is considered the most powerful skill in the game, and "no taking 10" is supposed to be a balancing factor by forcing the UMDer to accept the small chance of catastrophic failure. You can fake being a wizard, but there's always the possibility that it will go horribly wrong.

Artificers and warlocks, however, can take 10 on UMD because they specialize in it by design. Crafting and using magic items is the point of the artificer's existence, so it has the ability to do so effectively. The warlock's class concept is that it uses the magic of others; UMD is an extension of that, and the fact that their class feature is Deceive Item instead of Skill Mastery highlights the fact that they gain and use magical power through guile instead of training.