PDA

View Full Version : Intimidating Strike + Emerald Razor?

OverdrivePrime
2010-01-27, 11:29 AM
I've got a very charismatic warblade who I'm hoping to use to end fights with enemy troop leaders in a hurry by calling them out and embarrassing them in front of their troops.

With intimidating strike. A feat from the PHBII, I get a bonus depending on how much of a penalty I put on my attack roll. Since most of the opposing commanders are likely to be full plate and heavy shield, it dawned on me that I could really pump a lot into the attack penalty if I used the Emerald Razor maneuver to make the attack a melée touch.

But, can I use a maneuver at the same time that I'm using the intimidating strike feat? I've put as much as I can into cranking my warblade's charisma, Intimidate and Duel of Wills ability. I just want to make sure I can slap that Shaken conditon on my enemies when I need to.

Basically, my game plan is:
Call out enemy commander.
Engage in duel of wills, win.
Round 1, charge and attack, using Intimidating Strike to make him look like a punk, and using Wall of Blades to block one of his attacks.
Round 2, use my standard action to Demoralize Opponent and hopefully frighen the enemy.
Round 3, ???

kamikasei
2010-01-27, 11:32 AM
But, can I use a maneuver at the same time that I'm using the intimidating strike feat?

Does the feat require an action, or is it just an option you can use on an attack? (And is Emerald Razor a boost, or a strike? I forget.) If only one or neither - not both - of the feat and the maneuver are standard actions, then yes, they can be used together.

(Oh, I guess if Intimidating Strike requires a swift action that conflicts with Emerald Razor if it's a boost, too.)

Keld Denar
2010-01-27, 11:39 AM
Do note that your attack penalty from PA persists through until just before the beginning of your next turn. Since Wall of Blades requires an attack roll, it would suffer the same PA penalty. This could mean you are only swinging with a +3-5 or so, and would probably be better off just having him hit vs your AC...

SurlySeraph
2010-01-27, 11:41 AM
Intimidating Strike says you "As a standard action, you make a single melee attack against your foe." Emerald Razor is a strike, and thus requires a standard action. So you can't combine them.

OverdrivePrime
2010-01-27, 11:57 AM
Intimidating Strike says you "As a standard action, you make a single melee attack against your foe." Emerald Razor is a strike, and thus requires a standard action. So you can't combine them.

Ah. Thanks! I thought that might be the case, but don't have my books with me at the moment.

Any ideas on how to pump up my Intimidate checks as a warblade? I've got a circlet of persuasion, synergy from bluff, the unnerving calm feat, but no room in my build for the persuasive and skill focus feats.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-27, 11:59 AM
Get the Fearsome armor enchantment. +5 to Intimidate and lets you make an Intimidate check as a move action. Or you can get a Crystal Mask of Dread for +10 to Intimidate.

Ernir
2010-01-27, 12:01 PM
The Fearsome armor enhancement from DotU, allows you to intimidate as a move action and gives you a bonus on the check.

Persuasive and Skill Focus are a waste of feats. Imperious Command (from DotU as well), however, isn't. :smalltongue:

Dip Barbarian and take Intimidating Rage?

OverdrivePrime
2010-01-27, 12:01 PM
Sounds delicious! Where can I find those two?
sounds like I need to lay hands on Drow of the Underdark! Thanks guys!

Mongoose87
2010-01-27, 12:13 PM
If you want to use Intimidating Strike, the Impaling enhancement allows you to make touch attacks with a piercing weapon 3/day.