PDA

View Full Version : Goblins getting down...

Hatman
2010-01-27, 12:55 PM
did anyone else notice the off colored green-ish goblin in todays strip??
I guess this means the hobos and the regular gobs have been getting pretty busy, but can you even make a half goblin/hobgoblin? what would that stats on something like that be?

Sanguine
2010-01-27, 12:59 PM
I noticed, and it would probably be something akin to the amalgam (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7756817&postcount=12) template.

Cizak
2010-01-27, 01:37 PM
We can't be sure this is a hobgoblin/goblin kid.

Does the DnD Monster Manual say anything about how long hobgoblins and/or goblins are pregnant? ( :smalleek::smalltongue:) Azure City have been a goblinoid-town for about a year... is that enough time for a new goblin to grow up to near-adult/adult?

SaintRidley
2010-01-27, 01:48 PM

Does the DnD Monster Manual say anything about how long hobgoblins and/or goblins are pregnant? ( :smalleek::smalltongue:) Azure City have been a goblinoid-town for about a year... is that enough time for a new goblin to grow up to near-adult/adult?

No chance he already existed and emigrated to Crimson City?

Hatman
2010-01-27, 01:50 PM
hmm this is true. but didnt all the goblins that were under redcloak get killed in the castle explosion?
why would there be any at all?
maybe these are gobos from before redcloak even got there

TheSummoner
2010-01-27, 03:07 PM
Recent immigrants seem the most likely explanation for all of the goblins... including the one thats a bit more lime green than the rest.

I mean, if you were part fo a group that was regularly slaughtered and you heard of a new city that accepted and protected your kind, you'd give it a try, wouldn't you?

NerfTW
2010-01-27, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I assumed they were just immigrants. He was establishing trade routes. It's not hard to assume that local goblin tribes are going to hear this and head over.

veti
2010-01-27, 03:53 PM
I think the shade of green is the same as usually used for orcs (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0552.html).

Just sayin'.

hamishspence
2010-01-27, 03:56 PM
Orcs are never depicted with those ears, though.

Scarlet Knight
2010-01-27, 04:03 PM
did anyone else notice the off colored green-ish goblin in todays strip??
I guess this means the hobos and the regular gobs have been getting pretty busy, but can you even make a half goblin/hobgoblin? what would that stats on something like that be?

Naw, just a regular goblin who picked up something due to the overcrowding...

:smalleek:

Darakonis
2010-01-27, 04:04 PM
Sometimes a slightly-differently-colored goblin is just a slightly-differently-colored goblin TM

Peace
-Darakonis

eggynack
2010-01-27, 04:33 PM
It could however by an aquatic hobgoblin as seen in DStP, although that one is closer to lime green.

hamishspence
2010-01-27, 04:36 PM
And the aquatic hobgoblins also had little spikes on their ears, as if the ears were small fins.

Nimrod's Son
2010-01-28, 01:57 AM
I think the shade of green is the same as usually used for orcs (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0552.html).

Just sayin'.
It's not even close to the same shade. The orcs are a pale, slightly blueish green - whereas this new guy is a much brighter, more yellowish green. I'd assume half-goblin half-hobgoblin, in the absence of any better ideas.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-28, 02:02 AM

Most goblins don't live past age 50 so it is possible.

TriForce
2010-01-28, 07:27 AM
Most goblins don't live past age 50 so it is possible.

where did you get that from? both he monster manuel and savage species make no mention whatsoever about the age of a goblin, for all we know they would live forever if they didnt encounter random lvl1-5 people so much

Totally Guy
2010-01-28, 07:36 AM
where did you get that from? both he monster manuel and savage species make no mention whatsoever about the age of a goblin, for all we know they would live forever if they didnt encounter random lvl1-5 people so much

It's a minor plot point in Start of Darkness.

hamishspence
2010-01-28, 01:23 PM
Races of Faerun gives aging for goblins as being the same as for half-orcs- however, this might only apply in the Faerun setting.

Elves appear to age differently in OoTS from the way Races of the Wild portrays them, as well- so the goblin aging in OoTS might also be different.

SaintRidley
2010-01-28, 01:56 PM
Races of Faerun gives aging for goblins as being the same as for half-orcs- however, this might only apply in the Faerun setting.

Elves appear to age differently in OoTS from the way Races of the Wild portrays them, as well- so the goblin aging in OoTS might also be different.

Of course, Races of the Wild also contradicts the Player's Handbook, which seems more in line with OotS.

hamishspence
2010-01-28, 02:00 PM
The Player's Handbook says noting about "physical maturity" only "starting adventurer age"

Hence, RoTW chose to interpret the starting adventurer age for elves, as being some time after they became physically mature.

And also, mentioned that there are exceptions to this general rule.

RoTW is more consistant with the D&D novels, in fact. Elves don't spend "30 years in diapers" in those, whether the elves are high elves, or drow.

SaintRidley
2010-01-28, 02:06 PM
True, though given the starting adventure age on races like Human and half-elf as well as descriptions regarding half-elves maturing more slowly than humans and being a bit behind, it would seem likely that given the PhB reporting on adventurer ages, it would make sense to interpret it as an age of physical maturity.

Or, at the very least, that you're definitely physically mature by the time you hit that age, which allows for the RotW ages to fit readily with the PhB description.

I do think that the RotW clarifications are specifically to counter the "Elves are so ridiculously slow at aging that they are in diapers for a decade." On the other hand it creates the impression that elves do **** all for about 80 years despite being physically mature and able to do so.

Neither is a terribly good explanation, and it really results from the fact that the age given for adventuring is too absurd.

Optimystik
2010-01-28, 02:27 PM
Age categories in general don't make sense to me. How many games last so long that the characters age? It seems to me the whole system exists only so players can abuse it, by tacking years on to their 1st-level characters.

They also result in ridiculous contradictions, like this one that The Giant himself pointed out. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0218.html)

Did 4e toss these like they deserved? I think so, but I'm not sure.

derfenrirwolv
2010-01-28, 02:29 PM
But the real question is.. do they get funky?

The problem is there are no given stats for oots goblins, which are inexplicably medium sized

bluewind95
2010-01-28, 06:39 PM
I think a half goblin half hobgoblin would be pretty neat. I hadn't noticed that off-color goblin till now that it was pointed down, though.

DSCrankshaw
2010-01-28, 06:47 PM
Did 4e toss these like they deserved? I think so, but I'm not sure.

Yes. Age categories are gone in 4e.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-28, 06:47 PM
Did 4e toss these like they deserved?

Yes. Yes they did.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-28, 09:20 PM

Right Eye complains in SoD that if he lives to be fifty (implying that's an old age for goblins) he wants to know he did something useful with his life.

Scarlet Knight
2010-01-29, 01:59 PM
But the real question is.. do they get funky?

Ok , who has the "Erotic Fantasy" book? There's got to be a chapter on goblins somewherein there...

Conuly
2010-01-29, 07:08 PM
Right Eye complains in SoD that if he lives to be fifty (implying that's an old age for goblins) he wants to know he did something useful with his life.

What he says is that the projected lifespan of a goblin is 50 years, something wich googling "D&D goblin age old" helped confirm. He didn't imply anything, he outright said he expected to keel over dead at 50 if he was lucky enough to live that long.

Starscream
2010-01-29, 08:05 PM
Could it maybe be a Bugbear? Those are supposed to be bigger than hobgoblins, but then hobgoblins are also supposed to be twice the size as goblins.

Or I suppose he could just be the goblinoid equivalent of a goth, and likes to look paler than most.:smallamused:

Gift Jeraff
2010-01-29, 09:35 PM
Maybe. But in SoD a bugbear is shown (during the crayons bit), and looks yellow and very hairy (but the same height as OOTS goblins and hobgoblins).

Dr.Epic
2010-01-29, 11:57 PM
Maybe. But in SoD a bugbear is shown (during the crayons bit), and looks yellow and very hairy (but the same height as OOTS goblins and hobgoblins).

Really? I own and have read it and I never noticed that before. I'm off to reread that bit right now.

TVTMaster
2010-01-30, 12:02 PM
Yeah, apparently every humanoid whose defining feature isn't their size is inexplicably Medium-sized (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0617.html) in the OotS-verse.