PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Cleric Questions

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-27, 02:49 PM
My DM reset the campaign at lv1, due to new players :(. So now I need to rebuild my char, who was a Lv 18 Ironbrow Human Samurai. However, since the party has no healer, I requested to do so.

Here are my questions:

1. Race-Wise, I'm stuck between Dwarf (Probably a subrace) and Human (Bonus feat sounds useful). I know both make good clerics, but we also have a Human Myrmidon already. Which one should I focus on?

2. I know that cleric isn't a melee-master, but I definately want some melee capability (mostly so if I'm in a scrap, I'm not dead). I recently looked into War Preist and it sounded decent. However, I don't want to be limited in my healing prowess or my spellcasting. Any thoughts?

3. Cleric Domains. With so many to choose from, I may be forced into a corner that doesn't exist. DM ruled the Bonus Domain feat is not epic anymore, therefore I can take it. However, I want to get the best bang for my buck. I know Magic and War are decent, but what would be the "Playgrounder Picks" for the best 2-4 Domain Combo?

CTLC
2010-01-27, 02:54 PM
vow of non violence, i realize its the book of egregious rule breaking, but just charm or sleep everything thats an enemy.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-27, 03:01 PM
vow of non violence, i realize its the book of egregious rule breaking, but just charm or sleep everything thats an enemy.

DM said no BoED or BoVD except some feats and all Prcs and enchantments

HCL
2010-01-27, 03:03 PM
My DM reset the campaign at lv1, due to new players :(. So now I need to rebuild my char, who was a Lv 18 Ironbrow Human Samurai. However, since the party has no healer, I requested to do so.

Here are my questions:

1. Race-Wise, I'm stuck between Dwarf (Probably a subrace) and Human (Bonus feat sounds useful). I know both make good clerics, but we also have a Human Myrmidon already. Which one should I focus on?

Deep dwarf is fine if you are not running with Divine Metamagic or you just don't care. If you want to use divine metamagic you should get either Gold Dwarf (Races of Faerun) or stick with human.

2. I know that cleric isn't a melee-master, but I definately want some melee capability (mostly so if I'm in a scrap, I'm not dead). I recently looked into War Preist and it sounded decent. However, I don't want to be limited in my healing prowess or my spellcasting. Any thoughts?

Who told you clerics were not melee masters? You just need a way to buff yourself up and go get em. The easy way to do this is Quicken Spell or Persistent spell + divine metamagic. That lets you get your buffs up fast on the fly or plan out a bunch of buffs and put them on in the morning so they last all day. War domain pretty much blows, if you want martial weapon proficiency (honestly your standard Longspear is fine, but if you have to have a glaive go for it) use Aasimar as your race or take a dip of another class, like Crusader.

3. Cleric Domains. With so many to choose from, I may be forced into a corner that doesn't exist. DM ruled the Bonus Domain feat is not epic anymore, therefore I can take it. However, I want to get the best bang for my buck. I know Magic and War are decent, but what would be the "Playgrounder Picks" for the best 2-4 Domain Combo?

War is pretty crappy. Magic is great, Travel and luck are great too. There are a lot of good ones in the spell compendium like Time (Good spells and improved initiative), Planning (Free extend spell), Rune (Scribe scroll, planar binding spells), Wrath gives you some nice swift action spells. Undeath I think grants extra turning, there is another one that increases your limit on the undead you control. Summoning increases your caster level (duration) on summons. Elf is good for archers (free point blank shot).

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-27, 03:08 PM
Deep dwarf is fine if you are not running with Divine Metamagic or you just don't care. If you want to use divine metamagic you should get either Gold Dwarf (Races of Faerun) or stick with human.

Who told you clerics were not melee masters? You just need a way to buff yourself up and go get em. The easy way to do this is Quicken Spell or Persistent spell + divine metamagic. That lets you get your buffs up fast on the fly or plan out a bunch of buffs and put them on in the morning so they last all day. War domain pretty much blows, if you want martial weapon proficiency (honestly your standard Longspear is fine, but if you have to have a glaive go for it) use Aasimar as your race or take a dip of another class, like Crusader.

War is pretty crappy. Magic is great, Travel and luck are great too. There are a lot of good ones in the spell compendium like Time (Good spells and improved initiative), Planning (Free extend spell), Rune (Scribe scroll, planar binding spells), Wrath gives you some nice swift action spells. Undeath I think grants extra turning, there is another one that increases your limit on the undead you control. Summoning increases your caster level (duration) on summons. Elf is good for archers (free point blank shot).

1. Gold Dwarf sounds good. I also considered Glacier or Arctic (UA) for that. And I guess this means (Don't use Human Subraces?)

2. I planned to keep my feet on the ground most of the time...

3. Planning, Summoning, Magic, and Time? Okay. What deity would have these? or do I have to invent one?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-27, 03:11 PM
obligatory link Cleric's Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0)

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-27, 09:18 PM
Note on 1: I just looked up Lesser Deep Gnome, and holy crap...

Maybe THAT'D be perfect for a cleric...

Narazil
2010-01-27, 09:23 PM
Note on 1: I just looked up Lesser Deep Gnome, and holy crap...

Maybe THAT'D be perfect for a cleric...
How is a +2 Dex -2 Str race a perfect race for a Cleric? :smallconfused:. Wisdom is your most important stat, and you don't want to lose Strength.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-27, 09:33 PM
Obligatory You don't need a cleric link (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1121.0)

Post number 7 has the guide.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-27, 09:46 PM
2. I know that cleric isn't a melee-master, but I definately want some melee capability (mostly so if I'm in a scrap, I'm not dead).
Once you hit level 7, the Cleric is (or at least can be, if that's what you want) the melee master. That's when you can cast Divine Power, which gives you full BAB. Also be aware of the awesomeness of the Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) and their extra domain: Knowledge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#knowledgeDomain), which can be converted -- whenever you like -- to the Knowledge Devotion feat (see Complete Champion). Also Travel (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#travelDomain) can be converted to Travel Devotion, and a CHA of 12 will let you have swift action moves for 3 encounters every day. You'll be able to move and full attack all the time, plus hit at BAB+2 or more.

Cloistered Clerics also can get the best armor.
Scholar’s Outfit

Perfect for a scholar, this outfit includes a robe, a belt, a cap, soft shoes, and possibly a cloak. Magic Item Compendium (pages 233-234) allows you to add armor bonuses to body slot items, including robes. Than cast Magic Vestment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicVestment.htm) for an armor enhancement bonus. Finally realize you're not wearing actual armor, and get yourself a Monk's Belt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#beltMonks) to add an extra 1+WIS bonus to your AC.

For your 3rd domain (no Bonus Domain required) you can pick Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#magicDomain) for wand use, or something like Pride if you're worried about saving throws.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-27, 09:50 PM
How is a +2 Dex -2 Str race a perfect race for a Cleric? :smallconfused:. Wisdom is your most important stat, and you don't want to lose Strength.

oops!

not a whole lot of good ones

Eldariel
2010-01-27, 09:57 PM
Lesser Aasimar and Human are some of the best race options for Clerics. Humans 'cause Clerics, even more-so than most classes, are horribly feat-hungry without many bonus feats over their career, and Lesser Aasimar 'cause +2 Wis is just very good for a Cleric, and +2 Cha helps with your Turning. Anthrobat is nuts with +6 Wis, but Anthrobat is Anthrobat so...no, just no.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-27, 10:05 PM
I basically want a caster-god cleric who can function as a caster, minor combat, and heal/buff-o-matic, and we already have a human (DM wants some "biodiversity")

HCL
2010-01-27, 10:16 PM
No idea why you would not want to fly, but I meant spontaneously quickening spells for fun and profit. I usually make a cleric of a cause if it is allowed. Sovereign host also grants a wide variety of domains. Otherwise Wee Jas Boccob and Fangalarn are generally considered the good core gods.

Eldariel
2010-01-27, 10:19 PM
I basically want a caster-god cleric who can function as a caster, minor combat, and heal/buff-o-matic, and we already have a human (DM wants some "biodiversity")

Be Lesser Aasimar. DMM: Persist buffs on everyone (especially yourself), kick butt in melee, make your party kick royal butt in everything, cast spells that make people go down and profit. You could burn all other feats on Extra Turning along with some other item-based Turn-uses to see to sufficient turnings to fuel everything.

Honestly, Lesser Aasimar Cleric 6/Radiant Servant of Pelor 5/Contemplative 9 seems just your kinda thing. Divine Power, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, Conviction, Recitation, Mass Lesser Vigor (or Vigorous Circle), Holy Star, Surge of Fortune, etc. up all day along with later Giant Size & Bite of the Werebear through Miracles means you kick butt, your party has inflated attacks, damage and saves along with fast healing, and you kick butt.

Then just Divine Spell Power, Ankh of Ascension, Ring of Enduring Arcana, Beads of Karma & co. for highly inflated caster level to ensure none of that ever gets dispelled, and to make your offensive spellcasting stupendously frightening (along with your inflated Wisdom) and I guess you'll eventually be able to cast Chain Heal off Metamagic Rods for couple of hundred HP back to each when you've taken some damage. And then the normal Superior Resistances, Magic Vestments, Greater Magic Weapons and such for everyone to see to their +5 equipment, and nice saves, and you'll be fine.

Tone down at will depending on how strong you want to be; start to cut down on the more powerful buffs and make your spells slightly more dispellable if you feel it's too strong.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-27, 11:50 PM
Be Lesser Aasimar. DMM: Persist buffs on everyone (especially yourself), kick butt in melee, make your party kick royal butt in everything, cast spells that make people go down and profit. You could burn all other feats on Extra Turning along with some other item-based Turn-uses to see to sufficient turnings to fuel everything.

Honestly, Lesser Aasimar Cleric 6/Radiant Servant of Pelor 5/Contemplative 9 seems just your kinda thing. Divine Power, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, Conviction, Recitation, Mass Lesser Vigor (or Vigorous Circle), Holy Star, Surge of Fortune, etc. up all day along with later Giant Size & Bite of the Werebear through Miracles means you kick butt, your party has inflated attacks, damage and saves along with fast healing, and you kick butt.

Then just Divine Spell Power, Ankh of Ascension, Ring of Enduring Arcana, Beads of Karma & co. for highly inflated caster level to ensure none of that ever gets dispelled, and to make your offensive spellcasting stupendously frightening (along with your inflated Wisdom) and I guess you'll eventually be able to cast Chain Heal off Metamagic Rods for couple of hundred HP back to each when you've taken some damage. And then the normal Superior Resistances, Magic Vestments, Greater Magic Weapons and such for everyone to see to their +5 equipment, and nice saves, and you'll be fine.

Tone down at will depending on how strong you want to be; start to cut down on the more powerful buffs and make your spells slightly more dispellable if you feel it's too strong.

DM said "Pelor is dead", so RSoP is out.

And I also considered a Neraph, for Outsider Benefits vs. WIS bonus

Felyndiira
2010-01-28, 02:50 AM
I've never really been a fan of mixing and matching prestige classes, so the suggestions I give will likely be from a more pure "it makes sense in roleplaying" sense rather than optimizing to the fullest extent.

No reason that you can't have two humans, really, and feats are useful for a cleric. If you want ridiculous levels of optimization, Jermlaine is great for +6 WIS, although that tends to get GMs to chuck the PHB at you. Otherwise, I'd just stick with human to make things a bit easier.

You're looking at a cleric. Melee master comes with the territory. To be more specific, you have the following buffs that you can cast:

Divine Power: Congratulations, you're now a fighter that can cast spells, with full BAB and +1 HP.
Righteous Might: Size increase and buffs to strength/dexterity results in more reach and damage.
MV/GMW: Granted, you'll want to cast these on the party, but your weapon and armor now automatically +5 with adequate levels, even if they have +9 worth of enchantments.
X Visage of the Deity: Way too many buffs to mention.
X Mass Vigor: Restore more than 10k HP per day when persisted.

That aside, the only thing that a cleric needs to be really good at melee is a good two-handed weapon and an animated shield. And power strike. The rest of the feats are up to you.

That would depend: do you want to make a good cleric or a ridiculously optimized one (that will possibly get kicked by a reasonable DM)?

If you want a ridiculously optimized one: get domains that allows you to nab divine metamagic: persist as soon as possible and make the most of it by stacking turning (at least 14 would be nice to persist Divine Favor and Righteous Might). Domains featuring such include planning (extend spell, prerequisite for persist), spider (decent spells, gives you 6 extra turning), and undeath (extra turning), and you'd want to pick one of the three. In addition, pick up the cloistered cleric variant, grab the knowledge domain, and consider knowledge/travel devotion. Take note that there are DMs that will smack you upside the head for going around 24/7 as a giant-sized living image of your god with fighter BAB/HP, and that challenges become ridiculously easy once this starts happening.

If you're looking for "good" domains without being a total munchkin, here are some that I find useful:

Trickery: it's my favorite domain. Every single spell in this domain is not in the cleric list: trickery includes excellent spells like invisibility, mislead (basically greater invisibility + mirror image), polymorph any object, and time stop. If you want to play around with illusions, it also features screen one level earlier than even wizards, screen being a full-scale illusion that also fools scrying. The domain power (bluff, disguise, hide are now class skills) isn't uber, but it's still quite nice as the three skills are usually useful. Even if you are going the DMM path, remember that greater invisibility (mislead) can be persisted.

Travel: With travel, you get all of the teleport skills (dimension door, teleport, greater teleport) as well as fly. You also get freedom of movement for CL rounds as a domain power. It's very excellent.

Time: Improved initiative isn't uber-important for a cleric, but by god, the domain has the most ridiculously good spells you'll ever need. True Strike (always good for a melee cleric), Haste (yes), Permanency (makes spells last forever for XP), Contingency (holy crap yes), Moment of Prescience (+CL to rolls on tons of things), Foresight, and Time Stop means practically every level is a major gain.

Domination: Gives you all of the domination skills up to and including monstrous thrall. It's not as good as programmed amnesia, but you're not getting programmed amnesia, so yeah. Also, spell focus (enchantment) makes said skills all the better.

Gnome: The illusion domain if you like to mix illusions. You get silent image, as well as some of the higher-level illusions, as well as the no-save irresistable dance. You also get a +1 CL for illusions as a bonus. This is, in fact, better than the illusion domain since it mixes in a few other useful things, and you don't really need weird.

Destiny: Persist choose destiny and the GM will throw the DMG at you. The ability to reroll fails is nice, as is a ninth level spell that lets you reroll fails for a certain period of time. Moment of Prescience is there, too, if your second roll also fails.

Of course, remember that if you can't find a god with both domains that you like and the DM requires a god, you can always take the Divine Magician alternate feature and make your own domain from wizard spells. Of course, you don't get to choose from the three best wizard schools (so no conjuration, transmutation, or illusion), but even with abjuration/divination/necromancy you can get some really nice stuff, such as magic jar, mind blank, and maw of chaos. I personally like starmantle as well.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-28, 04:39 AM
Hmm... any way for a Cleric to get access to Greater Mighty Wallop? I'm building a Cleric that uses hammers and that would be a superb buff.

mikej
2010-01-28, 04:58 AM
Hmm... any way for a Cleric to get access to Greater Mighty Wallop? I'm building a Cleric that uses hammers and that would be a superb buff.

Anyspell, Greator would work. Spell Compendium on page 15. Anyspell, Greator can prep any Arcane spell but prepares it in a higher up Domain slot. The Spell Domain has it on it's list. I'm pretty sure there is a early method but whatever.

2. I know that cleric isn't a melee-master, but I definately want some melee capability (mostly so if I'm in a scrap, I'm not dead).

I lol'd

Smythen
2010-01-28, 07:15 AM
Celerity domain = +10 movespeed
and has haste on the spell list. Time is better though.

Be a whisper Gnome (races of stone), and use a bow.

Steelblood
2010-01-28, 07:18 AM
Personally i also thought small races made good healing clerics, just have a handle made on the back of your armor and have the group muscle toss you from place to place to heal people.:smallbiggrin:

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-28, 07:26 AM
I think I have it, minus Domains (Note: I get a lot of 'em)

Race: Lesser Aasamir
Class @ LV1: Cloistered Divine Magician Cleric
Class @ 20th: " 5/Contemplative 6/Sovereign Speaker 9

Eldariel
2010-01-28, 08:30 AM
No reason RSoP really needs to serve Pelor, the key about the class are the anti-Undead and Healing-powers. I'd ask your DM if the class could be refluffed for either another NG god, or just an ideal.

Contemplative cannot be entered before level 11. I suggest Church Inquisitor, Divine Oracle or Sacred Exorcist or similar for early levels, depending on which feels the most appropriate for you. Sovereign Speaker is fairly good, but loses two levels of casting and you really gotta know Eberron well for it.

Optimystik
2010-01-28, 08:39 AM
No reason RSoP really needs to serve Pelor, the key about the class are the anti-Undead and Healing-powers. I'd ask your DM if the class could be refluffed for either another NG god, or just an ideal.

CDiv itself states the class can be used with any deity that offers the Sun domain.

In fact, it works even better with non-Pelor worshippers, as they can get access to domains that other sun deities might not offer. (For example, Horus-Re gets neither Glory nor Purification, but a RSoH can get both.)

Killer Angel
2010-01-28, 08:42 AM
2. I know that cleric isn't a melee-master.

I totally agree
(yes, I'm totally kidding)

OK, it depends.
The best Domains are the ones that gives you abilities or spells that, as a cleric, you wouldn't have. Travel is a very good domain, from this PoV.
Other domains, are awful (see your precious "war"), but it can be good from a roleplaying point... if you wanna be a combat cleric, War is appropriate.
My suggestion: if you have to (or if you wanna to) take a domain as "War", at least take another one more useful.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-28, 09:49 AM

Contemplative cannot be entered before level 11. I suggest Church Inquisitor, Divine Oracle or Sacred Exorcist or similar for early levels, depending on which feels the most appropriate for you. Sovereign Speaker is fairly good, but loses two levels of casting and you really gotta know Eberron well for it.

Ive heared only bad things about Inquisitor, and Exorcist. I mostly want to fill what the party Frost Mage cant cover.

And Sovereign Speaker is a Domain fiend. If I use Practiced Spellcaster, I get some nice eleviation from two lost levels. However, I want to fill the void in levels, mostly so I can at least dip into Contemplative. Oracle seems like a worthwhile endeavor.

Eldariel
2010-01-28, 10:17 AM
Ive heared only bad things about Inquisitor, and Exorcist. I mostly want to fill what the party Frost Mage cant cover.

Who have you been listening to? O.o

Ernir
2010-01-28, 10:25 AM

:smallconfused:

Have you taken a look at them? Just entering Church Inquisitor gives you an extra domain. And at nearly no cost, even the one of not being able to take another PrC at the level (at least, I can't think of one).

I'll admit that SExorcist is better for classes other than Cleric, but still...

EDIT: Really, there aren't that may "awesome" Cleric PrCs. If you really have to magic everything to hell and back, there's always Dweomerkeeper, but that one's in the Incantatrix-league as far as power is concerned. Or higher, really, if you're creative enough. :smallconfused:

Optimystik
2010-01-28, 10:35 AM
EDIT: Really, there aren't that may "awesome" Cleric PrCs. If you really have to magic everything to hell and back, there's always Dweomerkeeper, but that one's in the Incantatrix-league as far as power is concerned. Or higher, really, if you're creative enough. :smallconfused:

What? There are tons of awesome cleric PrCs. The word you're looking for is "broken," of which Clerics do indeed have less.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-01-28, 10:38 AM

With the rate you're asking for character build help, it seems to me that you're spending more time building a character than playing it. Is it really worth it to spend so much time worrying about a optimal character build?

Unless, of course, you're just challenging us to see what we can come up with and you don't intend to play the character at all, but you wouldn't do that, would you?

Ernir
2010-01-28, 10:40 AM
What? There are tons of awesome cleric PrCs. The word you're looking for is "broken," of which Clerics do indeed have less.

You do have a point. :smallbiggrin:

Kylarra
2010-01-28, 10:45 AM
Well the downside of church inquisitor in this case would be that he'd either need to get his DM to waive the fluff requirement, or try to find some corruption in his church which the dm can easily fiat away, else CI is pretty much strictly better than a standard cleric as far as levels 4-5 go before entering another PrC, and level 3 of CI is pretty awesome.

Cyclocone
2010-01-28, 11:02 AM
Well the downside of church inquisitor in this case would be that he'd either need to get his DM to waive the fluff requirement, or try to find some corruption in his church which the dm can easily fiat away, else CI is pretty much strictly better than a standard cleric as far as levels 4-5 go before entering another PrC, and level 3 of CI is pretty awesome.

But surely a Church Inquisitor (who isn't even require to be good) shouldn't have trouble "uncovering" some "corruption" in his church.:smallwink:

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-28, 11:29 AM
Anyspell, Greator would work. Spell Compendium on page 15. Anyspell, Greator can prep any Arcane spell but prepares it in a higher up Domain slot. The Spell Domain has it on it's list. I'm pretty sure there is a early method but whatever.

crap :smallfrown:

guess I'll have to get a Drake Helm.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-28, 11:52 AM
My DM always waives fluff. So I should go with Inquisitor for a few levels and dip into Contemplative.

Nohwl
2010-01-28, 12:01 PM
you can get into church inquisitor real early, and it would give you actual class features, so yeah, you should.

Pigkappa
2010-01-28, 12:16 PM
3. Planning, Summoning, Magic, and Time? Okay. What deity would have these? or do I have to invent one?

Would your DM let you invent a deity with 4 of the (likely) strongest domains? I've always thought there was a reason if they made only one deity with the Travel domain in core, and not an important one.

Nohwl
2010-01-28, 12:27 PM
you could worship a pantheon.

Kylarra
2010-01-28, 12:27 PM
Would your DM let you invent a deity with 4 of the (likely) strongest domains? I've always thought there was a reason if they made only one deity with the Travel domain in core, and not an important one.Worship the concept of munchkinerry.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-28, 04:15 PM
you could worship a pantheon.

which pantheon has all of these?

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-28, 04:25 PM
@OP: What books are restricted? If Dragon Magic or Magic of Incarnum are allowed, I've got something special for you...

Let's see. The standard Cleric build usually gets Planning and Undeath to cover some of the feats and turning.

Azurin Dread Necromancer 1/Cloistered Cleric 1/Cleric 5/Mystic Theurge 10

Sub Levels: Azurin Cleric 1

Domains: Knowledge (sub for Devotion), Planning, Undeath

Feats:

1st: Precocious Apprentice
Flaw: Tomb-Tainted Soul
Flaw: Extra Turning
2nd: Extend Spell (Planning bonus feat)
2nd: Extra Turning (Undeath bonus feat)
3rd: Persist Spell
6th: Divine Metamagic (Persist)
9th+: Extra Turning or Fighter feats for tanking

Total turning attempts/day (assuming Cha is set to 30 at 20th level): 93+Nightstick and Reliquary Holy Symbol. That's 13 spells/day, with a few leftover turning for bonus points. Sweet Jesus...

Devote yourself to Wee-Jas or the concept of Undeath.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-28, 04:33 PM
All books except Psionics and Incarnum, and Dread Necromancer is banned, as are any evil classes

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-28, 04:39 PM
All books except Psionics and Incarnum, and Dread Necromancer is banned, as are any evil classes

In that case, the build goes:

LG Necropolitan Silverbrow Human Cloistered Cleric 1/Cleric 5/Sacred Exorcist 1

ACFs: Rebuke Dragons (trust me, you'll never use this for anything but DMM)

Domains: Knowledge (sub for Devotion), Planning, Undeath

Feats:

1st: Extra Turning
2nd: Extend Spell (Planning bonus feat)
2nd: Extra Turning (Undeath bonus feat)
3rd: Persist Spell
6th: Divine Metamagic (Persist)
9th+: Extra Turning or Fighter feats for tanking

You end up with an extra 18 turning attempts, but no Con score.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-28, 04:42 PM
Necropolitain, along with any 0 la template is banned

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-28, 04:46 PM
Necropolitain, along with any 0 la template is banned

Son of a...

Well, that cuts the turning by quite a bit. 6+(2*Cha)+8/Extra Turning.

Wait a minute, my Math was off. With the first two builds, you get 12 Turning uses/Extra Turning, not 8. First build should have 111/day, second should have 90.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-28, 04:48 PM
Son of a...

Well, that cuts the turning by quite a bit. 6+(2*Cha)+8/Extra Turning.

Wait a minute, my Math was off. With the first two builds, you get 12 Turning uses/Extra Turning, not 8. First build should have 111/day, second should have 90.

would the "Destroy Udead" ACF be good for this?

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-28, 04:49 PM
would the "Destroy Udead" ACF be good for this?

No, but if you can get the Sun domain you're golden.

edit: The idea is that you are going to get a ton of Turning attempts/day, and then use Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell to turn a bunch of buff spells into all-day effects. Spells like Circle of Vigor, Divine Power, Righteous Might, etc. You never actually use the Turning abilities to turn things.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-28, 04:57 PM
No, but if you can get the Sun domain you're golden.

edit: The idea is that you are going to get a ton of Turning attempts/day, and then use Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell to turn a bunch of buff spells into all-day effects. Spells like Circle of Vigor, Divine Power, Righteous Might, etc. You never actually use the Turning abilities to turn things.

interesting...

However, should I not want to abuse Turn Attempts, but instead use Spellcasting and Healing

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-28, 05:00 PM
interesting...

However, should I not want to abuse Turn Attempts, but instead use Spellcasting and Healing

You still have that. You just get longer durations on some spells (24 hours/Persisted spell). Healing gets taken care of by Circle of Vigor.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-28, 05:09 PM
You still have that. You just get longer durations on some spells (24 hours/Persisted spell). Healing gets taken care of by Circle of Vigor.

So domain focus (Lots of domains) is a bad Idea?

Felyndiira
2010-01-28, 05:43 PM
How experienced is your DM, anyway? Most DMs with some knowledge of the game mechanics will slap a ban hammer on over-optimized DMM builds quicker as you can say "I'm not a planar shephard."

This sounds like a serious campaign, either way; DMM by itself is okay, but abuse of DMM Persist is practically on the same scale as playing a twice-betrayer in a non-IDDQD campaign: it makes everything no longer fun for the group (so even if the DM is inexperienced enough to allow it, you'll see a lot of +YES Falling Dispels from the Sky). The same goes for mixing-and-matching too many prestiege classes: while you get the best mechanical benefits and aren't as broken as, say, a IotSV, a contemplative/inquisitor or your contemplative/sovereign speaker is way too overpowered for an average party, aside from making no sense in terms of story.

If you just want a nice spellcaster cleric, try playing a cleric of Garl Glittergold with two of Trickery, Gnome, Creation, and Envy domains. It gives you a selection of fun spells to choose from, and a few (genesis, namely) are not even on a wizard's spell list. Cloistered Cleric is a good ACF if you can make it fit in-character (and if you're willing to persist Divine Favor), and you can always pick up a level of fighter/monk along the way to add to your martial skills.

Fawsto
2010-01-28, 05:53 PM
Probalby I am being Multi Ninja'd here but...

Well, I always like playing humans, the bonus feat is just awesome.

Also, the fact that they receive no ability score penalties is good, since this stops them from having a penalty to something like Cons (Elfs....)

Dwarves as they are on PHB are half good half bad for clerics if you want to turn/rebuke something... But since this should not be your focus, just get the bonus to con as an present.

Clerics if properly build are masters of the battle field. If you have access to the Comp. Champion and the other completes you are pretty much done. Feats like Holy Warrior, Law Devotion, Power Attack, Travel Devotion, Knowledge Devotion, Divine Metamagic and Persistent spell will make you such a battlefield beast that will forever been known as the ClericZilla.

For prestige classes, Ruby Knight Vin(win)dicator and Ordained Champion are pretty much everything you ever wanted. With this, there is no melee non-caster that can stop you.

Just a piece of advice. Do not go too far... Oblivius, Lord of the Banhammer is always watching.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-28, 05:58 PM
Here's the base story:

The character is a true hero of his pantheon (One of my design :P). The pantheon is centered around a LG deity of my design. He chose to instead master the magics of the people.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-28, 08:11 PM
Probalby I am being Multi Ninja'd here but...

Well, I always like playing humans, the bonus feat is just awesome.

Also, the fact that they receive no ability score penalties is good, since this stops them from having a penalty to something like Cons (Elfs....)

Dwarves as they are on PHB are half good half bad for clerics if you want to turn/rebuke something... But since this should not be your focus, just get the bonus to con as an present.

Clerics if properly build are masters of the battle field. If you have access to the Comp. Champion and the other completes you are pretty much done. Feats like Holy Warrior, Law Devotion, Power Attack, Travel Devotion, Knowledge Devotion, Divine Metamagic and Persistent spell will make you such a battlefield beast that will forever been known as the ClericZilla.

For prestige classes, Ruby Knight Vin(win)dicator and Ordained Champion are pretty much everything you ever wanted. With this, there is no melee non-caster that can stop you.

Just a piece of advice. Do not go too far... Oblivius, Lord of the Banhammer is always watching.

right, but this doesn't focus on casting and/or domains

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-28, 09:16 PM
~Buuuuuuuuuuump?~

Nohwl
2010-01-28, 10:25 PM
which pantheon has all of these?

i'm not sure. i don't have my books with me [didn't have them when i posted either]. anyway, after looking at crystalkeep, it doesn't look like there is a pantheon with all of them. chronepsis has 2 of them though.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-28, 10:32 PM
i'm not sure. i don't have my books with me [didn't have them when i posted either]. anyway, after looking at crystalkeep, it doesn't look like there is a pantheon with all of them. chronepsis has 2 of them though.

Crap....

Looks like I need to "Invent" a pantheon

Nohwl
2010-01-28, 11:47 PM
worshiping a cause could work.

Lawless III
2010-01-29, 12:31 AM

What books are all of these things in?

Eldariel
2010-01-29, 12:37 AM
What books are all of these things in?

PGtF for Lesser Aasimar, classes from Complete Divine, spells from Spell Compendium/Complete Champion/Complete Arcane/PHBII/PHB and items from Magic Item Compendium/DMG.

EDIT: Oh, and feats from Complete Divine, Complete Arcane & PHB. So composite:
Core
Completes
Spell Compendium
Magic Item Compendium
PHBII

This is what I'd like to refer to as "Expanded Core" (with or without Races of-line, of course including Rules Compendium).

(Player's Guide to Faerun)

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-29, 12:40 PM
Got him finished:

Lesser Aasamir

Lightbringer Cleric 6/RSoP (Using Re) 10/Cleric 1/Contemplative 3