PDA

View Full Version : The blobfish is facing extinction >:D(

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-27, 02:50 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/7077472/Blobfish-worlds-most-miserable-looking-marine-animal-facing-exinction.html

How can anyone not feel sad about this? :smallfrown:

reorith
2010-01-27, 02:57 PM
meh. seems to me like we're doing it a favor.

Zanaril
2010-01-27, 03:00 PM
...Is that real?

hamishspence
2010-01-27, 03:00 PM
meh. seems to me like we're doing it a favor.

Hmm.

Sounds to me like a case of:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WhatMeasureIsANonCute

SurlySeraph
2010-01-27, 03:10 PM
Reorith, it's your fault that the blobfish is so sad.

arguskos
2010-01-27, 03:12 PM
Uh... did anyone read the last line, where the scientist says "we've only explored an area the size of Paris in the deep ocean, but we might be destroying all of it omg!!!!!1!1!1!!11!!!" and think, "uh, ok then, how about you figure out if the blobfish actually lives anywhere else first?"

Kurien
2010-01-27, 03:15 PM
It reminds of the Pokémon Ditto :smallbiggrin: It must be saved. No bad the one in the picture is likely dead, seeing as it is out of water

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-27, 03:18 PM
It reminds of the Pokémon Ditto :smallbiggrin: It must be saved. No bad the one in the picture is likely dead, seeing as it is out of water

Maybe that's why they think it's endangered; it just looks like other types of fish 90% of the time. :smallwink:

Tirian
2010-01-27, 03:18 PM
There's clearly one who has survived on land (http://www.billandnanda.com/stories.htm).

Jack Squat
2010-01-27, 03:22 PM
Uh... did anyone read the last line, where the scientist says "we've only explored an area the size of Paris in the deep ocean, but we might be destroying all of it omg!!!!!1!1!1!!11!!!" and think, "uh, ok then, how about you figure out if the blobfish actually lives anywhere else first?"

It's the approach of caution - same thing with the "save the whales" thing. We only know of a certain population of them, but there could easily be more. If we wipe out that population, and there aren't more, then another species has died off. If we preserve them, and then find another population of them, it's sort of a relief that they're not as bad off as we thought.

Also, it takes a while to explore the ocean, which means a lot of funding that would have to be taken from other (more important) programs.

We'd never see a live one anywhere near the surface. They live 800 meters (~half a mile) below sea level, where the pressure is roughly 875 times that of what's surrounding you right now, or about 12,860 pounds per square inch.

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-27, 03:25 PM
This is what they look like in a more supportive (sorry :smallredface:) environment;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Psychrolutes_phrictus_1.jpg

arguskos
2010-01-27, 03:37 PM
It's the approach of caution - same thing with the "save the whales" thing. We only know of a certain population of them, but there could easily be more. If we wipe out that population, and there aren't more, then another species has died off. If we preserve them, and then find another population of them, it's sort of a relief that they're not as bad off as we thought.

Also, it takes a while to explore the ocean, which means a lot of funding that would have to be taken from other (more important) programs.
That approach makes sense... except that they clearly knew about this in 2006, since they tried to get deep sea trawling banned back then. Why they haven't started spreading awareness of the blobfish's predicament before now, I'm unclear on. Perhaps they should get searching for more pockets of blobfish, and stop wasting time on articles and whatnot?

EDIT: To be clear, I am a big fan of saving the fish (especially if they are delicious). They should maybe get onto the saving the fish part, and less on the making articles about how we should save the fish part.

Pika...
2010-01-27, 03:46 PM
Hmm.

Sounds to me like a case of:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WhatMeasureIsANonCute

No...NO...you have sent forth Tvtropes to consume us!

Eldan
2010-01-27, 03:46 PM
Well, as far as I know, biologists have tried to get trawling banned pretty much since it was invented.

Jack Squat
2010-01-27, 03:50 PM
That approach makes sense... except that they clearly knew about this in 2006, since they tried to get deep sea trawling banned back then. Why they haven't started spreading awareness of the blobfish's predicament before now, I'm unclear on. Perhaps they should get searching for more pockets of blobfish, and stop wasting time on articles and whatnot?

I'll quote David Barry, since I think he puts the reason most humorously

If God had wanted us to be concerned for the plight of the toads, he would have made them cute and furry.

Frankly, there's not a huge move because the fish are ugly. To keep on my whole "save the whales" comparison, whales are considered cute and lovable, so they get the attention - and even a TV show dedicated to the cause. People see this fish and generally think it resembles something that popped up on their colonoscopy last month. To make people care, it has to be cute, not repulsive, and that's the unfortunate truth.

EDIT: To be clear, I am a big fan of saving the fish (especially if they are delicious). They should maybe get onto the saving the fish part, and less on the making articles about how we should save the fish part.[/QUOTE]

They're actually inedible *cue lost enthusiasm for cause*, but otherwise I agree. It's just a lot easier to talk about doing things than to actually do them, so that's what this journalist is running with.

arguskos
2010-01-27, 04:02 PM
I'll quote David Barry, since I think he puts the reason most humorously
Saw that. Was funny then too. :smallbiggrin:

Frankly, there's not a huge move because the fish are ugly. To keep on my whole "save the whales" comparison, whales are considered cute and lovable, so they get the attention - and even a TV show dedicated to the cause. People see this fish and generally think it resembles something that popped up on their colonoscopy last month. To make people care, it has to be cute, not repulsive, and that's the unfortunate truth.
Honestly, that's a very callous and horrible attitude. It's also dead true. Man, that's frikkin' depressing. :smallsigh:

They're actually inedible *cue lost enthusiasm for cause*, but otherwise I agree. It's just a lot easier to talk about doing things than to actually do them, so that's what this journalist is running with.
Yeah, I saw that. :smallsigh: Still, they're probably a good thing to keep around, I guess? I dunno. I'd prefer to save the bonito, but that's just me.

hamishspence
2010-01-27, 04:03 PM
No...NO...you have sent forth Tvtropes to consume us!

Yes- I know, posting tropes as a response to a comment has been done far too many times.

But it seemed such an appropriate one! :smallamused:

Ravens_cry
2010-01-27, 04:10 PM
Aw, Sad fish is sad. :smallfrown:
It must be saved!

Emperor Ing
2010-01-27, 05:10 PM
I feel like we're doing it a favor somehow...

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-27, 05:18 PM
I feel like we're doing it a favor somehow...

Really? I wasn't aware that SOCIOPATHS COULD FEEL! :smallfurious:

Nah, just messing with ya.:smalltongue:

But treat the blobby ones with respect.

Emperor Ing
2010-01-27, 05:20 PM
Aw c'mon dude! That thing is obviously miserable, it has a frowny face! A FROWNY FACE!! Just look at it!

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-27, 05:23 PM
Aw c'mon dude! That thing is obviously miserable, it has a frowny face! A FROWNY FACE!! Just look at it!

Exactly, the poor little blighter needs our help. :smallfrown:

Emperor Ing
2010-01-27, 05:37 PM
Exactly, the poor little blighter needs our help. :smallfrown:

I agree. *brandishes shotgun*

Alleine
2010-01-27, 05:53 PM
It hard to take the article seriously since every time they say 'blobfish' I really want to giggle. Also, the first four words are awesome if taken out of context :smallbiggrin:

If scientists want to save it they should claim it is necessary for all sorts of undersea life to survive. "Hey guys, you kill the blobfish, YOU KILL YOURSELVES" cue complicated charts and much serious head-nodding.

Pika...
2010-01-27, 06:06 PM
It hard to take the article seriously since every time they say 'blobfish' I really want to giggle. Also, the first four words are awesome if taken out of context :smallbiggrin:

If scientists want to save it they should claim it is necessary for all sorts of undersea life to survive. "Hey guys, you kill the blobfish, YOU KILL YOURSELVES" cue complicated charts and much serious head-nodding.

You forgot: cue The Circle of Life!

Xyk
2010-01-27, 06:12 PM
It took me like three rereads to get past "Scientists fear the blobfish...". I was thinking "It's kinda ugly, but scary? Does it shoot lasers from it's eyes?".

Pika...
2010-01-27, 06:19 PM
............I was thinking "It's kinda ugly, but scary? Does it shoot lasers from it's eyes?".

Shhhhhhhh...

That is why the Australians are trying to kill them off. >.> ... <.< ... >.>

bluewind95
2010-01-27, 06:30 PM
I feel an odd kind of kinship with that fish. It's ugly. It looks miserable. I totally think they should be saved.

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-27, 06:34 PM
They look kinda cute to me...

Pika...
2010-01-27, 06:37 PM

Yeah. Sort of like a pitbull and such?

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-27, 07:25 PM
Pitbull look mean to me.

I dunno why it looks cute. I guess 'cause of the look on it's face.

reorith
2010-01-27, 09:20 PM
does anyone else wonder how this fish tastes? normally, i don't go for fish, but the whole scarcity thing makes me curious.

Pika...
2010-01-27, 09:28 PM
does anyone else wonder how this fish tastes? normally, i don't go for fish, but the whole scarcity thing makes me curious.

Apparently it is inedible for some reason. :/

PJ the Epic
2010-01-27, 09:34 PM
I don't know why, but this picture strikes me as more accurate:

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/11/10/633618722254225790-blobfish.jpg

:smalltongue:

As for the taste, if we made the most poisoness pufferfish on earth edible, why not some odd bloby things?!?!:smallamused:

Innis Cabal
2010-01-27, 09:37 PM
Only a part of it is. This whole thing is made out of stuff our bodies can't process and gain nutrition from. Nothing is inedible. There are just things you can't digest and use for energy

Pika...
2010-01-27, 09:39 PM
I don't know why, but this picture strikes me as more accurate:

:smalltongue:

As for the taste, if we made the most poisoness pufferfish on earth edible, why not some odd bloby things?!?!:smallamused:

OK, that is going on my D&D cosmology's site's deities section as the official Fish Lord under Animal Lords right above Raptor Jesus.

reorith
2010-01-27, 09:40 PM
Apparently it is inedible for some reason. :/

that makes me want to eat it even more.

PJ the Epic
2010-01-27, 09:45 PM
OK, that is going on my D&D cosmology's site's deities section as the official Fish Lord under Animal Lords right above Raptor Jesus.

As long as I'm not the sacrifice.

Pika...
2010-01-27, 09:50 PM
that makes me want to eat it even more.

OK EJ, looks like you're of the hook. :smallbiggrin:

Winter_Wolf
2010-01-27, 09:52 PM
Okay, so help me out here. The picture on the wiki of that sculpin looks like a normalish fish. The first picture looks like the thing exploded or somehow otherwise got itself turned inside out.

When I see the first pic, I want to destroy the thing--not just kill, but burn the carcass and bury it deep deep underground--because it's hideous and triggers that part of the brain that wants to preserve my body from harm. If that's their poster child, the cause is DOOMED. Now, if they'd just show the wiki picture (still not attractive), there'd be a lot more support I imagine, or at least a lot less, "ewww, my gawd that's hideous! What is that, some kind of proto-shoggoth?" reactions. Jellyfish inspire less disgust, and I've been stung by one of those (small ones) before.

ClockShock
2010-01-27, 10:01 PM

Some reason. I'm thinking the same thing. :smallconfused:

Tengu_temp
2010-01-27, 10:01 PM
You say hideous, I say ugly cute (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UglyCute), like Mr. Saturn's unloved brother. Also, I agree with hamishspence and Jack Squat.

Coidzor
2010-01-27, 10:13 PM
Boing! Do You Want Slumber?

Sequinox
2010-01-27, 10:21 PM
That makes me sadcakes. :smallfrown:

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-28, 05:28 PM

I beg your pardon?

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-28, 05:51 PM

ZOOOM. :smalltongue:

Pinnacle
2010-01-28, 06:00 PM

Well, it is dead.

Perhaps other individuals of the species (namely ones that are still alive) are a bit cheerier?

paddyfool
2010-01-28, 06:07 PM
Another pic (three dead Psychrolutes, chillin'):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/be/Psychrolutes_phrictus.jpg/800px-Psychrolutes_phrictus.jpg

PJ the Epic
2010-01-28, 06:12 PM
Feel sorry for the hideously deformed monster! Put it out of it's misery!

Otherwise, it will rise up against us in an attempt to overthrow peace! It will create a new world order of CHAOS!! BURN THE THING!!!!:smallfurious:

Moff Chumley
2010-01-28, 06:27 PM
Feel sorry for the hideously deformed monster! Put it out of it's misery!

Otherwise, it will rise up against us in an attempt to overthrow peace! It will create a new world order of CHAOS!! BURN THE THING!!!!:smallfurious:

:smallfrown:

But it's so miserable... how could you burn something like that?

Kallisti
2010-01-28, 10:30 PM
Other than looking like a shoggoth's ugly uncle, I see nothing interesting about the blobfish. Clearly the only solution is to let the damn thing die.

...Unless, of course, it keeps looking at me like that. I can feel the guilt trip forming...

Oh ye gods, we have to save it so it'll stop giving me that damn look!
[/halfjoke]

SurlySeraph
2010-01-28, 10:42 PM
BURN THE THING!!!!:smallfurious:

Blobfish live underwater and their flesh is gelatinous.

Your pathetic fire is useless against them.

http://www.thejump.net/id/more-fish/blob-fish.jpg

Fear their wrath.

Kneenibble
2010-01-28, 10:47 PM
These fish look like:
the art for those blobby demon sword-fodder in D&D. they need to be cuddled. *cuddles*

Pinnacle
2010-01-28, 10:56 PM
Blobfish live underwater and their flesh is gelatinous.

Your pathetic fire is useless against them.

It's not very effective...

deuxhero
2010-01-28, 11:07 PM
Please tell me this fish isn't going to result in water to farmland being shut off.

Anyways, that fish is weird. I demand someone stats a dire blobfish!

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-29, 12:28 AM
Please tell me this fish isn't going to result in water to farmland being shut off.

Here yah go!

Blobfish

Size/Type: Small/Outsider
Hit Dice: Infinity
Initiative: +Infinity
Speed: Infinity Ft. (Infinity Squares)
Armor Class: Infinity
Base Attack/Grapple: Chuck Norris/+Infinity

Amiel
2010-01-29, 01:19 AM
The blobfish looks amazingly like a disgruntled employee.

chiasaur11
2010-01-29, 01:50 AM
:smallfrown:

But it's so miserable... how could you burn something like that?

With fire, of course.

Amiel
2010-01-29, 01:51 AM
No, from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-29, 11:43 AM

Trying as seriously as I can on a topic like this:

Dire Blobfish

Size/Type: Large Animal (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 7d8+14 (45 hp)
Initiative: -3
Speed: Swim 10 ft (2 squares)
Armor Class: 12 (-1 size, -3 Dex, +6 natural), touch 6, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+12
Special qualities: Damage reduction 5/slashing, Darkvision 60', Hates You, Improved Grab, Swallow Whole
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +7
Attack: Bite +7 melee (2d6+4)
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 4, Con 15, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 1
Skills: Listen +9, Spot +9, Swim +3
Feats: Alertness, Improved Natural Attack, Ability Focus (Hates You)
Environment: Cold aquatic
Organization: Solitary.
Challenge rating: 3?
Advancement: 8-9 HD (Large), 11-17 HD (Huge)

A dire blobfish has damage reduction 5/slashing, because it is very difficult to damage gelatin by clubbing or stabbing it.

Hates You (Ex.): Dire blobfish are pathetic and hilarious-looking creatures, and they are well aware of this. The world's mixed disregard and pity for them drives them to hate all other living creatures. Any creature within 30 feet of a dire blobfish who makes eye contact with it must make a Will save or be shaken by the depths of its desire to destroy all. This is a mind-affecting gaze attack. Shaken, 30 feet, Fortitude DC 17 negates. The save DC is Wisdom-based.

Swallow Whole (Ex)

A dire blobfish can try to swallow a grabbed Medium or smaller opponent by making a successful grapple check.

A swallowed creature takes 1d8+3 points of bludgeoning damage and 3 points of acid damage per round from the dire blobfish’s gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 10 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 13, DR 5/slashing). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

A Large dire blobfish’s gizzard can hold 1 Medium, 4 Small, 16 Tiny, or 64 Diminutive or smaller opponents.

Pika...
2010-01-29, 12:43 PM
No, from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Exterminatus?

bosssmiley
2010-01-29, 12:43 PM
Another pic (three dead Psychrolutes, chillin'):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/be/Psychrolutes_phrictus.jpg/800px-Psychrolutes_phrictus.jpg

Tax auditors! Kill them with fire! :smallamused:

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-29, 01:27 PM
Tax auditors! Kill them with fire! :smallamused:

How dare you compare the noble blobfish to a larval lawyer!?

SuperMuldoon
2010-01-29, 02:06 PM
he looks SO SAD

please save the blobfish :smallfrown:

(i'll name him blobby :smallredface:)

Winthur
2010-01-29, 03:33 PM
I know my face looks kinda weird, but I'd like to chime in. I have something to say.

My dad is an ichthyologist who believes that the blobfish isn't facing extinction at all. He says that it's just a way for the ecologists to raise an alarm and stop people from gathering fish. Blobfish just barely can actually be found in any ship's nets, because they leave so deep down the seas. Nobody is also hunting for them because they're not edible.

Lobsters are in a bigger trouble than blobfish. Blobfish are found sporadically, lobsters are being gathered en masse. My father compared it to a man who finds a member of endangered species inside his net inside which were 300 tons of an atlantic cod - when only 100 tons are permitted to be fished at a time according to the rules. Which one is the bigger problem to you? :smalltongue:

"The planet is fine!", as the late comedian George Carlin would say. If you know his routines, you can add the rest yourself in your mind. :smalltongue:

Here are some basics of a case that bears some similarities with the current one:

Dad told me that certain species of a Harbour Porpoise have been endangered not because they're being fished for - they're not, at least not on the Baltic (where they sometimes breakthrough from the North Sea and the Atlantic). They're not fish, they're mammals - they have way too grown brains to be caught in nets because of their sensory capabilities. The cause of their death might be a roaming ship, or, lately, because of some idiot blew up a ton of TNT nearby the Porpoises' nest and their acute senses simply went crazy from the explosion, rendering many of them getting caught in those nets. But they're not, in fact, in danger of extinction, yet all sorts of expeditions are being halted just because some people believe that they are.

European Union keeps thinking that Poland is murdering Porpoises and they're under heavy danger. They're supposed to keep track of them through certain scientific means when they catch them. But the number of Porpoises caught by Polish fishermen. So they, logically, simply can't do anything about it. Yet, Poland is, apparently, the greatest murderer of Porpoise of all time, although there haven't been any Porpoises caught lately so Polish ichthyologists just can't do anything about the norms put on by the EU.

Of course, I can't deny that it's also against my father's interests, because his job often involves working on the seas, on a boat, together with fishermen, where he mostly examines the catched fish. So, when ecologists raise a turmoil, it's kinda robbing him away from certain profits that those expeditions bring in. However, in general, the place he works at is not amused, because the blobfish incident is seen as just yet another one of those ecologist tantrums that gets in the way of future fishing endeavors - which is srs business, because, after all, a lot of people eat fish, and we examine them scientifically.

tl;dr: Blobfish aren't endangered. A few cases of them being caught does not an endangered species make. There are certain reasons that make their apparent extinction overlooked.

Just something to think about.

Cubey
2010-01-29, 05:51 PM
No.
I am sorry, I do not want to insult your father. But if he really believes that ecologists expressing concerns of marine wildlife being mistreated/facing extinction is just throwing tantrums to get attention or get in the way of the "working people", especially if we're talking anything involving Polish fishermen who are famous for ignoring European Union fishing regulations and anything else that gets in the way of their scheduled take, then I must put his opinion about the blobfish into question.

arguskos
2010-01-29, 05:53 PM
Yet, the point of "a minor number of incidents does not show conclusively a species in endangered" is a valid one. We don't know enough about this fish to claim they're in danger of being wiped out.

Cubey
2010-01-29, 05:57 PM
That is an educated guess. When it goes to experts' opinions, we have one opinion that states the fish is endangered, and one that it isn't. I prefer to be on the safe side and assume it is endangered then.

PJ the Epic
2010-01-29, 06:01 PM
Well, we can always make it endangered.

*Pulls out nuke from storage shed*

TAKE THIS, FISHY!!:smallfurious:

Winthur
2010-01-29, 06:07 PM
I am sorry, I do not want to insult your father.

Did you? :smallsmile:

But if he really believes that ecologists expressing concerns of marine wildlife being mistreated/facing extinction is just throwing tantrums to get attention or get in the way of the "working people", especially if we're talking anything involving Polish fishermen who are famous for ignoring European Union fishing regulations and anything else that gets in the way of their scheduled take, then I must put his opinion about the blobfish into question.

And you are free to do so. I'm afraid I can't really say a lot on the matter when my opinion is definitely going to be slightly biased and my research isn't too extensive on the subject. I'm not a scientist, just someone remotely interested.

I'm not sure about "famous about ignoring EU regulations", though; I usually prefer to look for both sides of the medal, but I know I couldn't be able to start and win a debate on this subject. :smallwink:

Cubey
2010-01-29, 06:12 PM
Did you? :smallsmile:
I hope not. I made this disclaimer because from my unfortunate experiences I know that people tend to take criticism too personally. Both in face-to-face conversations and over the Internet. I'm glad this is not the case.

Rattine
2010-01-31, 10:35 AM
Is.... is that thing even real? I feel like I've seen references to it before... It's disgusting and creepy beyond reason, but at the same time, I'm oddly attracted to it... O_o

Sneak
2010-01-31, 10:45 AM
There's only one way to fix this.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-31, 10:52 AM
So... they find a blobfish, which we don't eat and nothing else seems to, occasionally, in small, if not individual, numbers amongst literal tons of other seafood... and its the BLOBFISH that's endangered?

All your doing is skimming off the ones that will actually come up close enough for us to catch. Give me a break.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-31, 12:30 PM
...Is that real?

Real or not, that thing's going to be haunting my dreams for the next 2-4 months.:smalleek:

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-31, 12:51 PM
Well, we can always make it endangered.

*Pulls out nuke from storage shed*

TAKE THIS, FISHY!!:smallfurious:

*Pulls out Obscure Internet Reference Gun*

TAKE THIS POSSESED CHOCOLATE BAR!!!! :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious:

Say hi to the Juggernaut for me! :smallamused::smallfurious:

Dr.Epic
2010-01-31, 09:06 PM
The blobfish looks amazingly like a disgruntled employee.

Maybe that's what Disney does to their disgruntled employees: turn them into blobfishes until they receive true love's kiss and are turned back to normal.

Dragon queen
2010-02-01, 09:04 PM
How would you like it if one day some dude appears at your door and says "oh sorry, I hate to tell you this but we are going to totally destroy your home and community without telling you." Smiles and walks off. You look outside and all your home is destroyed.

I think someone should tell those divers how they would like it if they were to be extinct.:smallannoyed:

I have a question for all of you do you guys like living? Of course you do so when you think about it cooking a species(Not beef,chicken,turkey,salmon,bacon,ect) who has done nothing to you and looks sad all the time is none other then plain evil. Try baking them but then they will say " Don't hurt us!Please" and when the blobfish say this(In fish language) the cook says "sorry I have customers" No one spares the blobfish and just kills it. If you were that blobfish how would you react?:smallannoyed:

Dr.Epic
2010-02-01, 09:24 PM
How would you like it if one day some dude appears at your door and says "oh sorry, I hate to tell you this but we are going to totally destroy your home and community without telling you." Smiles and walks off. You look outside and all your home is destroyed.

I think someone should tell those divers how they would like it if they were to be extinct.:smallannoyed::

It happened once before. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy_(novel))

Rattine
2010-02-18, 09:16 PM
I hope this doesn't count as resurrecting a dead thread. I just wanted to let everyone know what I did today! So today was ugly sweater deay for my school's dress-up week. I don't own an ugly sweater, so, instead, I wore a normal sweater and pinned a picture of a blobfish on the front and back, along with the text "Save the Blobfish!" and "It's so ugly, it's cute!!!" I was asked about it all day! :smalltongue: At least I brought awareness to the plight of the Blobfish! :D

Pocketa
2010-02-18, 09:24 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/7077472/Blobfish-worlds-most-miserable-looking-marine-animal-facing-exinction.html

How can anyone not feel sad about this? :smallfrown:

It's so adorable, I'm so sad. I want to save it! I want to save them all!

Sneak
2010-02-18, 09:27 PM
I hope this doesn't count as resurrecting a dead thread. I just wanted to let everyone know what I did today! So today was ugly sweater deay for my school's dress-up week. I don't own an ugly sweater, so, instead, I wore a normal sweater and pinned a picture of a blobfish on the front and back, along with the text "Save the Blobfish!" and "It's so ugly, it's cute!!!" I was asked about it all day! :smalltongue: At least I brought awareness to the plight of the Blobfish! :D

Now all we need is a SAVE BLOBFISH! bumper sticker and we're all set.

SurlySeraph
2010-02-19, 08:54 PM

You are a good person and you should feel good. The blobfishes of the world are grateful to you. :smallsmile:

Rattine
2010-02-19, 09:20 PM
You are a good person and you should feel good. The blobfishes of the world are grateful to you. :smallsmile:

Indeed! :D

babeeroniea
2010-02-19, 09:30 PM
oh man it looks like a fat cartoon character.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-20, 01:17 AM
oh man it looks like a fat cartoon character.

The blobfish: bastard race of...

http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/15833.gif

http://www.snarkbate.com/images/cthulhu2.jpg

Rattine
2010-02-20, 09:55 AM
~Snip~

LMAO! I think you might have something, there!! :smalltongue:

Dvandemon
2010-02-20, 10:09 PM
There's only one way to fix this.

*image*

Its Ziggy! Why so glum?

babeeroniea
2010-02-22, 01:12 PM

http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/15833.gif

http://www.snarkbate.com/images/cthulhu2.jpg

holy crap i think that is the first time somone quoted what i said to respond to it!!!

EDIT: oh wait no nevermind you dont win. The picture wars thread lady wins... haha.but you can still be my best friend.