PDA

View Full Version : Feats for this build? [3.5]

faceroll
2010-01-27, 04:20 PM
Warmage1/Rainbow Servant 10/Incantatrix9

Race is Magic-Touched Draconic Lesser Aasimar. Versatile Spellcaster + Sanctum Spell + Knowledge Devotion for early entry, getting rid of the latter two feats later with a psychic reformation or whatever.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-27, 04:33 PM
You're an Incantatrix. You want as many metamagic feats as you can get. Extended and Persistent Spell is usually smart, Quicken is obligatory, Chain Spell can be very useful if you have a party (though one generally only sees class combinations like thus in high-optimization arenas), and Repeat and Twin can be very useful if applied to the right thing. If you're going to be using direct damage often, Empower will be worthwhile.

And don't forget your class prerequisite feats.

Kallisti
2010-01-27, 04:44 PM
Warmage1/Rainbow Servant 10/Incantatrix9

Race is Magic-Touched Draconic Lesser Aasimar. Versatile Spellcaster + Sanctum Spell + Knowledge Devotion for early entry, getting rid of the latter two feats later with a psychic reformation or whatever.

Best bet for getting rid of feats is probably the Dark Chaos Shuffle.

Let's see...

Reach spell. Absolutely Reach Spell, to get all of those delicious delicious personal only buff spells onto everyone. Assuming you have a party/army of summoned mooks/other meatshield.

Persistent spell is your bread and butter, and Twin your milk and honey with a build like this.

Arcane Thesis and Signature Spell (if you're running that kind of build).

Easy Metamagic and Practical Metamagic, probably multiple times each. Definitely once each for Persistent, possibly for Twin as well. Oh, and Quicken. Don't forget Quicken with Easy Metamagic and Practical Metamagic.

Rapid Metamagic, at 12th, lets you spontaneously cast metamagic spells without the increase in casting time. TAKE IT.

Ernir
2010-01-27, 09:34 PM
Is that the Magic of Faerūn Incantatrix? You're obviously missing out on the capstone pre-epic otherwise, although the other may be worth it anyway.

Also, I'm curious. How does Knowledge Devotion help for early entry?

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-27, 09:41 PM
What would Warmage1/Rainbow Servant 9/Incantatrix10 loose out on?

Aethir
2010-01-27, 09:53 PM
Spontaneous casting of the entire Cleric spell list.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-27, 09:59 PM
Ah. I see. But still, that capstone of Incan-however tis spelled is nice.

Hmm... Maybe Think I'd go Metaphysical Spellshaper-3/ something else-6

Akal Saris
2010-01-27, 10:06 PM
Yeah, better to take out the LA from one of the templates than to lose the only good level of rainbow servant. But the incantatrix capstone is definitely an awesome way to end a 20-level build (and start down epic incantatrix - is there one or would it be a quick homebrew progression?).

Uhm, feats. Grab the feat that makes you a native outsider, for early level tricks with alter self? (Edit: wait, why do this? You're a warmage, you don't even have alter self)

As a sidenote, the character will probably be pretty crappy from 1-10 if you're starting from 1st. Warmages kind of blow until you expand their spell lists :(

faceroll
2010-01-28, 03:53 AM
Is that the Magic of Faerūn Incantatrix? You're obviously missing out on the capstone pre-epic otherwise, although the other may be worth it anyway.

It's the 3.5 PGtF version. I know I'm missing out on the capstone, but I figure all cleric spells at character level 11 is much more important, seeing as how I have to struggle through 10 levels with warmage + some domain spells. The game is likely to go to epic, anyway.

Also, I'm curious. How does Knowledge Devotion help for early entry?

Gets me knowledge religion as a class skill. Unless Knowledge Devotion requires something I don't remember.

Yeah, better to take out the LA from one of the templates than to lose the only good level of rainbow servant. But the incantatrix capstone is definitely an awesome way to end a 20-level build (and start down epic incantatrix - is there one or would it be a quick homebrew progression?).

I will buy the LA off at level 3, so no worries there. And while the cheaper metamagic is nice, the real draw of incantatrix is the insane amount of metamagic feats & being able to persist spells for free at its 2nd & 3rd level of it.

Uhm, feats. Grab the feat that makes you a native outsider, for early level tricks with alter self? (Edit: wait, why do this? You're a warmage, you don't even have alter self)

I don't know man, I don't know.
I've been contemplating picking up Arcane Disciple a few times, but I'm undecided on a deity. The character is going to be the last scion of two ancient houses, one with draconic heritage and one with celestial. His alignment's going to be lawful good, so I'm kinda limited in deities with access to quality domains. I suppose picking up Spell for Anyspell would be solid.

As a sidenote, the character will probably be pretty crappy from 1-10 if you're starting from 1st. Warmages kind of blow until you expand their spell lists :(

It's a little worse than that. I will most likely be starting at level 3 in a party of level eight or nines. I will be getting some domains along the way, versatile spellcaster means I get access to spells a level earlier than even the wizard, and um, not ALL the warmage spells suck.

Also, I will have ludicrous stats, thanks to some lucky rolls and an absurd stat generation method (3 sets of 4d6 drop lowest, 7 times).

Jarveiyan
2010-01-28, 04:41 AM
On a side note, once you don't meet the prereqs for a prestige class pre-Prc don't you lose all special abilities of that PrC(including casting)? Retraining those feats would be like resetting how you operate and think invalidating your earlier shortcut, so whats the use of doing that. You might as well just say you don't have to take those feats to get the prereqs for the PrC.

faceroll
2010-01-28, 04:47 AM
On a side note, once you don't meet the prereqs for a prestige class pre-Prc don't you lose all special abilities of that PrC(including casting)? Retraining those feats would be like resetting how you operate and think invalidating your earlier shortcut, so whats the use of doing that. You might as well just say you don't have to take those feats to get the prereqs for the PrC.

The feats are used to meet two pre-reqs: spell casting and skill point allocation. Once those are met (at first level, thanks to the feats), further levels in the prestige class automatically meet the requirements, since both my casting is progressed and know: religion is made a class skill.

For instance, if I have 12 strength, find a pair of gauntlets of ogre power +2, and put them on, I can take power attack at 3rd level. At fourth level, I can increase my strength score to 13, and can now take the gauntlets off without losing the power attack feat.

Jarveiyan
2010-01-29, 12:42 AM
Alright. My bad.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-29, 09:19 AM

Why, yes, yes there is. It's a 10th level prestige class, so it has rules regarding progression.

TBH, I think it was explicitly listed in the epic handbook or some such...I'd have to look it up.