PDA

View Full Version : Multi-bows?

Admiral Squish
2010-01-27, 07:40 PM
So, Here's my question. If you have four arms, and are using two bows, is that two-weapon fighting? Is three crossbows multiweapon fighting? Or is there some obscure rule on this I don't even know?

herrhauptmann
2010-01-27, 07:46 PM
Well a normal person wouldn't need two weapon fighting to use 1 bow.
A fourarmed person should need TWF to use 2 bows (you have 1 primary and 3 off hands). But if you've got 4 arms, might as well just go multiweapon fighting. Or use the spell 'fuse arms'.

3 crossbows should be multiweapon.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#multiweaponFighting

Susano-wo
2010-01-27, 09:06 PM
not to pull the physics card, but unless you have as very unique physiology, you couldn't effectively use two bows, four arms or no. It would be a nice strategy to use two weapons or sword and shield with a bow, though. always have the archery ready :P
(though Dnd Mechanics wise, its probably better to just MWF it ^ ^)
also, yeah, I'd probably make you take a feat of some kind to use two bows without severe penalty, even if I did ignore the physics problem :P

Ernir
2010-01-27, 09:11 PM
Arrow Demons (MM3) have this as a special attack. Just sayin'.

Alcopop
2010-01-27, 09:15 PM
Not sure, but the arrow demon (mm3) has four arms and has the ability to duel wield bows. I used to use otherworldy polymorph into one on my archer gish when things got series (two splitting bows + belt of battle was nasty);

Symmetrical Archery (Ex): The arrow demon has an
amazing ability to wield two bows at once in unison. Any
time the arrow demon could make a single attack with a
bow, it can attack with both of its bows, at –2 to all its attack
rolls that round. For example, when making an attack
action, an arrow demon can fi re one arrow from each bow
at its normal attack bonus minus 2, and when making a
full-attack action, it can fi re one arrow from each bow for
each of its normal iterative attacks (two arrows from each
bow, each shaft at a –2 penalty). The statistics block above
already includes these bonuses. The arrow demon takes no
additional penalties for using multiple weapons as long as it
is using only bows.

not sure if that helps.

Edit: Oh damn ninja'd!

Susano-wo
2010-01-27, 09:16 PM
Wow, I changed my mind, though I'd still make a person take TWF or an equiv. feat. looking up the picture made it make sense. I had always imagined a bow on each side of the body, not both bows facing to the side (the left arms holding the bows and the right arms drawing). There are still probably awkwardness issues RL wise, but its close enough for Fantasy for me :P

One Step Two
2010-01-27, 09:38 PM
Couldn't resist. (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/01/27/episode-1087-exalted-feat/)

herrhauptmann
2010-01-29, 10:34 PM
Couldn't resist. (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/01/27/episode-1087-exalted-feat/)

Geh, been looking for that particular strip for a year now. Thanks

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-29, 10:57 PM
Arrow Demons (MM3) have this as a special attack. Just sayin'.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040815b&page=4 describes said monster.

Overshee
2010-01-30, 12:29 AM
not to pull the physics card, but unless you have as very unique physiology, you couldn't effectively use two bows, four arms or no. It would be a nice strategy to use two weapons or sword and shield with a bow, though. always have the archery ready :P
(though Dnd Mechanics wise, its probably better to just MWF it ^ ^)
also, yeah, I'd probably make you take a feat of some kind to use two bows without severe penalty, even if I did ignore the physics problem :P

I know nothing about archery, but if you held them horizontally, and your sets of arms were located at the normal location and a bit farther down the torso, (say at the bottom of the ribcage) it might be possible.

John Campbell
2010-01-30, 12:38 AM
Depends on the kind of bow, too. You're not going to be able to dual-wield longbows, I don't care how many arms you have. Might be possible with recurves with a short draw, though.

Splendor
2010-01-30, 01:59 AM
Use Repeating Crossbows.