PDA

View Full Version : RHoD

golem1972
2010-01-27, 10:51 PM
Dabbled a little with the RHoD module last weekend. Really only got through the first encounter.

First mistake: thinking three player characters was a good idea.

Second mistake: low AC blaster sorcerer vs archers.

Third mistake: summons have a very low duration at this level (oops, my bad).

I ended up taking it very easy on the group, but the combat lasted forever. Still, everyone seemed to have fun and really perked up when I tossed in the idea of using gestalt characters if we decide to keep playing.

High light of the game: sorcerer yo-yo'ed in and out of negative hp for about 4 rounds. Also, mentioning off-hand that this was just an intro encounter and things get much tougher from now on. :)

AslanCross
2010-01-27, 11:12 PM
Gestalt isn't really such a good idea, IMO, since even though you get a whole bunch of options, you still lack the action economy to use those options. Gestalt will help in the encounters later (Battle of Brindol) where every single spell counts for the long haul.

RHOD kind of actually overestimates its encounters for a good bit, actually---(Wyrmlord Kharn has 68 HP?!!?)---any decently optimized party could go through it without much problems.

Check out my campaign journal in my sig; there's a lot of discussion about modifying the encounters there.

IthilanorStPete
2010-01-27, 11:51 PM
Heh. We actually did the Battle of Brindol onward with 3 not-terrifically-optimized characters, although it turns out a flying Warlock with Eldritch Spear is actually pretty amazing in this module. Spoiler-y amusing stories after the break:
We lost a character in the Ghostlord's lair. He was a Dragonborn Warblade that wanted to go out with a bang - we were in the midst of productive negotations when he started ranting and raving about the Ghostlord's evil. (He had actually killed the paralyzed lion in the pool of unded-making outside under a...very mistaken impression)

The Ghostlord...walked up to him and paralyzing touch'd him. One failed Fort save later, and the Warblade was hosed. We then proceeded to trade the zombie I'd made from Olwai's corpse for the right to loot the Warblade.