PDA

View Full Version : Psion Powers issue

Saintjebus
2010-01-27, 11:28 PM
So I only have a little bit of experience with psions. I built one, and I'm going to use it (hopefully) in a game soon. The problem that I have is this: levels of powers known. I understand that I get a limited number per level, but the list is a little counterintuitive for building a psion at a higher level than one.

Is there a list of powers per level that is a little easier? I'm going to be playing at lvl 14. It's just confusing what levels of powers I should have. Thanks!

jokey665
2010-01-27, 11:33 PM
If you're going straight Psion 14, you should have powers as such:

5 first level powers
4 second level powers
4 third level powers
4 fourth level powers
4 fifth level powers
3 sixth level powers
3 seventh level powers

Note that you can take lower level powers instead of the higher level ones.

Kantolin
2010-01-27, 11:34 PM
I wonder if I'm about to be ninja'd?

Level 1 powers - 5
Level 2 powers - 4
Level 3 powers - 4
Level 4 powers - 4
Level 5 powers - 4
Level 6 powers - 3
Level 7 powers - 3

In all cases, you can select a lower level power in place of a higher level power (So if you're suicidal, you can select all 27 powers as 1st level powers).

Edit: Got me by a minute. ^_^ Stupid doll! I didn't know there was a 'Geno Ninja'...

jokey665
2010-01-27, 11:35 PM
Edit: Got me by a minute. ^_^ Stupid doll! I didn't know there was a 'Geno Ninja'...

Geno is always a ninja!

Douglas
2010-01-27, 11:36 PM
For each level of powers, look in the table for the last class level where that is the maximum power level known. Take the Powers Known entry for that level and subtract the Powers Known for the last class level of the next lower maximum power level known. The result is how many powers of that level you can know.

For example, the last level with a maximum of 6th level powers is level 12. Level 12 has 24 powers known. The last level with just 5th level powers is level 10, with 21 powers known. You can, therefore, know 24-21 = 3 6th level powers. This is because every 6th level power you know must have been learned at levels 11 and 12, and you gained 3 powers known from those two levels.

You can learn a lower level power in place of a higher level one if you want, though, so you could actually have more than 3 6th level powers known if you were willing to reduce your 7th level powers known.

Edit: You may have ninja'd me with the table, but I explained how the table is generated, so ha!

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-28, 05:46 AM
So if you're suicidal, you can select all 27 powers as 1st level powers

That isn't necessarily suicidal, since the Psion's ability to augment their powers makes 1st level powers MUCH more useful than 1st level spells in the long run.

Starbuck_II
2010-01-28, 06:41 AM
Not all 1st levels can be augmented though.

dsmiles
2010-01-28, 07:17 AM
Not all 1st levels can be augmented though.

No, but most of the important ones can.

Ryuuk
2010-01-28, 07:22 AM
I usually end up trading a 2nd level power for a 1st level one whenever I build one. There's a lot of good things at first level. You get Vigor, Inertial Armor, Force Shield, Defensive Precognition, Crystal Shard/Energy Ray, Entangling Ectoplasm... And that's before Disciplined specific ones like Astral Construct. Its hard to choose.

dsmiles
2010-01-28, 07:28 AM
And that's before Disciplined specific ones like Astral Construct. Its hard to choose.

I love me some Astral Construct...

Anyhoo...I think the OP should definitely look into the Mind's Eye stuff and the Shadow Mind (I think that's what it's called) PrC. There's some really neat stuff in there.