PDA

View Full Version : Savage Species: Fling Enemy feat

jiriku
2010-01-27, 11:31 PM
So...I'm leafing through Savage Species, and I find this feat, Fling Enemy. Basically you can horizontally throw a grappled creature with a ranged increment of 120 feet, dealing half normal falling damage for that distance...so I can put this on a monster, grapple a player, and toss him 600 feet with a -10 to the attack roll, dealing him 10d6 just as a by-the-way? Or I can toss him vertically for full falling damage, that's 600 feet up in the air and watch him take 20d6 as he falls back to earth?

I've already found a CR 7 monster that qualifies for Fling Enemy, Multigrab, and Greater Multigrab (to negate the -20 penalty on the grapple check). Anyone else feel that this might be a little excessive for a CR 7 opponent?

Darrin
2010-01-27, 11:49 PM
So...I'm leafing through Savage Species, and I find this feat, Fling Enemy.

Fling Enemy has been reprinted in Races of Stone, so that one probably supercedes Savage Species.

Either way, it's kind of a waste of a feat, since it takes a standard action. One level of Hulking Hurler with Really Throw Anything and Improved Grab can do the same thing, only you can do it multiple times a round. Obligatory link: King of Pong (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107248).

Ranos
2010-01-27, 11:57 PM
Interesting...Not much more effective than a good old save or die though.

First, note that multigrab doesn't negate the penalty from fling enemy, only from improved grab. So the target still has a more than decent chance of fighting off the grapple.

Second, if you fling a guy hundreds of feet up in the air, remember that he will take time to come back down (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040706a), enough to get a round of action if you fling him farther than 500ft. That could be enough to negate the fall in a lot of cases.

SethFahad
2010-01-28, 11:37 PM
I had the same kind of question.
In the real world, if you "fling" someone, he gets hurt as he lands on the ground.
Fling enemy form SS is ok with that. But RoS doesn't even mention damage.
Why?
I will "borrow" some questions from a different forum:

Does your enemy take damage for distance traveled as per the Snatch feat in MM (1d6 per 10')?

Does your ally take damage from being thrown?

On that note, what is the arc of travel?

Why is there no roll for the ally to land on their feet?

What happens if you throw an enemy or ally at a third party? The only thing any of the feats mention is that if you end up in an occupied space, you are prone. (SS says 3rd party takes same damage)

Can a flung ally execute a 'fly-by' attack of some sort? How about a charge? (I can just imagine the halfling readying an action to strike a creature when it is in range...)

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-01-30, 08:59 PM
Can a flung ally execute a 'fly-by' attack of some sort?Fly-by-Fling?

Try saying that one ten times fast!

OracleofWuffing
2010-01-30, 09:18 PM
If you fling an enemy straight up... Wouldn't you be slightly concerned about him landing on you?

Oh wait, no, just grab him and fling him again.:smalltongue:

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-30, 09:24 PM
If you fling an enemy straight up... Wouldn't you be slightly concerned about him landing on you?

Oh wait, no, just grab him and fling him again.:smalltongue:Depends on how high you throw him. With the right build, I'm sure you could hit several miles, which gives you a chance to move, eat a sandwich, and perhaps Fabricate a trampoline. Whatever floats your boat.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-30, 09:31 PM
Fly-by-Fling?

Try saying that one ten times fast!
Is that like speed dating?:smallwink:

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-01-30, 09:38 PM
Is that like speed dating?:smallwink:Ug! You got me. And the answer is NO! I prefer several years of courting... Stupid Internet.