PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] New Duskblade Spell(list) - no Necromancy

SatanasOz
2010-01-28, 05:25 AM
It's about an expansion of the Duskblade spell list. One of my players doesn't like the small number of Duskblade spells forcing her to use necromancy spells (which is opposed to her character concept) to make use of her class ability. I think that's a just reason and am looking for a replacement of the necromancy touch spells on the Duskblades list.

It's about these spells:
1st-level: Chill Touch
2nd-level: Ghoul Touch
3rd-level: Vampiric Touch

The 1st- and 2nd-level spells I would just replace it with different touch spells of the same level:

1st-level: Corrosive Grasp (SpC)
2nd-level: Combust (SpC) or Phantom Foe (SpC:156)

... this fits with her fluff, so I don't see a problem doing this. For the 3rd level though, there's no comparable touch spell of the same level which she could use instead of Vampiric Touch (1d6 damage per 2 Caster Level = heal). I can't just switch this into an "elemental" spell because the effect is quite unique and tied to the necromany school.

So I'm looking for a new 3rd-level spell Wiz/Sor/Duskblade or something else that might fit. I allready looked in the Spell Compendium and the Complete Mage. My groundwork would be somthing like:

Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Better than Combust (cause it's a level higher)
Better than Fireball (cause touch instead of area, it's the same with other levels, compare Burning Hands / Shocking Grasp)
Probably Evocation, cause it should be somthing offensive

My Idea was something in the range of 1d8/level (maximum 10) plus a nice secondary effect, comparable to combust or the energy orbs.

In the meantime, I came around with this:

EXPLOSIVE TOUCH
Evocation [fire]
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 3; duskblade 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Duration: Instantaneous; see text
Saving Throw: fort partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

While incantating the last words of the spell, a bright flame appears in the sorcerers hand. He clenches his fist as if he were squeezing the flame in his hand before he presses his palm against the ogre. A tiny glowing dot is left on the ogres chest, which explodes a second thereafter with a thundering boom.

You must succeed on a melee touch attack. The spell creates a 1 inch wide sphere which sticks to the targeted creature. The sphere explodes with a fiery burst, dealing 1d6 damage (maximum 15d6) per caster level with no save. Half of this damage is bludgeoning damage; the rest is fire damage. In addition, a creature struck by an explosive touch must make a fortitude save or be dazed for 1 round.

Material Component: A marble sized piece of charcoal

So, do you guys have any more suggestions of existing spells and what do you think about the new spell?