PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Refluffing the base classes

SillySymphonies
2010-01-28, 09:04 AM
Hello all,

To be frank I get quite tired of the fact that when some players describe their character they don't get any further than 'dwarven rogue' or 'half-elven bard' or the likes, assuming that every rogue is some leather-clad thief and every bard is a minstrel playing the lute. I get equally tired of the fact that some players who want to play a concept need a class that mentions that concept: for instance, why does a ninja (concept) character have to possess the ninja class? In my opinion the rogue class functions equally well for a ninja (concept) character. [/rant]

So I was wondering, if you take the base classes for what they are (a collection of mechanical abilities), what kind of refluffs can you come up with?

From the top of my head:
bard (usually depicted as a minstrel)*: chronicler/journalist (oratory); detective (oratory); Indiana Jones (oratory); shaman (dance/oratory/sing).
druid (usually depicted as either an avenger of nature or a treehugger): shaman.
fighter (mercenary): knight, samurai.
monk (kung-fu fighter): Olympian athlete.
rogue (leather-clad thief): detective, ninja.

*I listed the type of perform skill needed as well
**Seems counter-intuitive, but a bard has weapon proficiency (whip) and Indy was a charismatic archaeology professor (hence the perform (oratory)).

Gnorman
2010-01-28, 09:08 AM
Don't we all basically do this already?

Optimystik
2010-01-28, 09:13 AM
For monk I would go with Acrobat.

Swordsage fits "ninja" much better than a rogue does - or better than a ninja, for that matter.

Likewise for Factotum and "detective" (rather than Bard.)

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-28, 09:16 AM
To be frank I get quite tired of the fact that when some players ... assuming that every rogue is some leather-clad thief and every bard is a minstrel playing the lute.

Not all of us, apparently.

The problem here is that you're replacing one archetype for another. That's good, as far as variety goes, but I don't think in terms of these archetypes very often, rather making unique and precious snowflakes. :P So I can't help you find new archetypes to replace the old. Sorry.

BooNL
2010-01-28, 10:44 AM
If your players are that bad at coming up with a character concept, point them towards the PHBII. There's a whole plethora of archetypes, concepts and even a couple of starter packs in there.