PDA

View Full Version : What to play? 4.0

Eon
2010-01-28, 01:13 PM
So in this campaign, I chose a archer ranger as my character. Unfortunately, it is a really boring character. After talking to the DM he allowed me a reroll. I can't decide what to play. :smallfrown:
The party consists of
A) a fighter (tank)
B) A cleric (healer)
C) A wizard (damage i think. I haven't seen him play much)
D) a rogue (striker)
E) sometimes a bard (don't ask) (not sure)

What role should I fill in? What is a fun class that also is fun to play? I would also accept premade characters. We are level 2.

Thanks, Bandil the Bored :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2010-01-28, 01:24 PM
Error at line 10: function "fun" is not defined.

Seriously, give us some parameters for what you think is fun, or else we can't help much.

FoE
2010-01-28, 01:26 PM
You're giving up on the character after one level? Geez.

Sounds like you could use a primal character. Try a Druid or a Barbarian.

Kurald Galain
2010-01-28, 01:33 PM
To be fair, he was playing an archer ranger. If there's one kind of character in 4E that's a one-trick pony, it's an archer ranger.

Anyway, to the OP, since your wizard is spec'ed for damage, the group could use a controller. Take your pick, then, of invoker, psion, or druid.

DiscipleofBob
2010-01-28, 01:37 PM
If you want to play a more interesting archer, take a look at the Seeker class if you have access to it. Same archer-esque feel, but you should find it a lot more fun.

Eon
2010-01-28, 02:04 PM
Error at line 10: function "fun" is not defined.

Seriously, give us some parameters for what you think is fun, or else we can't help much.

Fun as in interesting to play but not too complicated where the turns take forever.
@Face of Evil Like what was said above my turn consisted of
"I use nimble strike"
rolls
shifts
"next"

also, Psion? what book is that in?

Oracle_Hunter
2010-01-28, 02:05 PM

Sounds like you could use a primal character. Try a Druid or a Barbarian.
Barbarians are a lot of fun - if your idea of fun is "hitting weakpoints for massive damage."

Also, 3[W] Encounter Power at 1st level? Sold! :smallbiggrin:

But yeah, we need to hear more of what you think is fun. Personally, the Monk has really grown on me, because they really got a nice Wuxia feel on 'em finally.

EDIT: Yeah, you gave another undefined term - "interesting to play." What do you find interesting? Aside from playing Archer Rangers wrong :smalltongue:

Seriously - did you forget to take Twin Strike?

Eon
2010-01-28, 02:11 PM
I might have taken it, DM has my CS.

Interesting to play as in your not just one-moving but has a few bonuses (for loss of a better word) such as a shaman's spirit companion or a Wizard's familiar.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-01-28, 02:14 PM
I might have taken it, DM has my CS.

Interesting to play as in your not just one-moving but has a few bonuses (for loss of a better word) such as a shaman's spirit companion or a Wizard's familiar.
So... you want a pet? Beastmaster Ranger is another option.

I guess I don't understand what you mean by "one moving" - at the very least you should be two-moving (y'know, Encounter Power).

If you want powers that do more than damage, pick a Leader or a Controller - Bards are very Controller-y Leaders, for example.

Optimystik
2010-01-28, 02:21 PM
I second controller, with a striker-ish bent - Commie Invoker, for instance.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-01-28, 02:25 PM
I second controller, with a striker-ish bent - Commie Invoker, for instance.
I dunno what build you're talking about, but it does remind me of my Eberron character, the Paladin of The People - a Human from Sarlona whose power stemmed from his faith in the State.

Good times :smallbiggrin:

illyrus
2010-01-28, 02:33 PM
I suggest druid. Wildshape, summons, melee, short and long range spells. You have a variety of ways to play it and will do more than spend a single standard action a turn.

Mordokai
2010-01-28, 02:34 PM
To be fair, he was playing an archer ranger. If there's one kind of character in 4E that's a one-trick pony, it's an archer ranger.

Oh, puh-lease! Archers can be almost as much fun as other strikers. As long as you do something more than just use the damn at-will powers. Sure, twin strike is sweet, but be bold! Experiment with encounters, move across the battlefield, take feats and powers that will make you take chances... stuff like that. I admit, you get the most out of them at paragon and later levels, but they don't need to be boring at heroic.

But I guess if you're looking for something more dynamic, barbarian is the good bet.

Artanis
2010-01-28, 02:39 PM

"I shoot it twice."
"I shoot it twice a different way."
"I move and shoot it twice again."
"I shoot it twice, take an AP, and shoot it twice more."
"I shoot it three times."
"I shoot it twice. Again."

:smalltongue:

Optimystik
2010-01-28, 03:27 PM
I dunno what build you're talking about, but it does remind me of my Eberron character, the Paladin of The People - a Human from Sarlona whose power stemmed from his faith in the State.

Good times :smallbiggrin:

No, I didn't mean communist. :smallbiggrin:

"Commie Invoker" is shorthand for Covenant of Malediction, the more offensive covenant for Invokers included in Divine Power. It leans Invokers slightly more towards striker as a secondary role, compared to Cops (Covenant of Preservation, who have a healer/leader secondary role.)

Cows (Covenant of Wrath) are also more striker-oriented, but I think Commies have a stronger controller presence than they do, which your group sorely needs (judging by what you said.)

Shardan
2010-01-28, 06:08 PM
also, at level 1, there really is not a whole lot to do.

You have 2 at wills and one encounter... that leaves you a choice of three things

its better than the old editions level one, but still.

As far as different and interesting, it sounds like you really do want a more magical class. but you're still going to have 2 at wills and an encounter (and maybe a second encounter from your race)

FoE
2010-01-28, 06:15 PM
Barbarians are a lot of fun - if your idea of fun is "hitting weakpoints for massive damage."

It is. I like smashing stuff. Or burning stuff.

Kurald Galain
2010-01-28, 06:23 PM
That is actually a good point... after having played in the 5-10 level range for awhile, a level-1 character really feels like it's lacking options. After just a single round you've run out of cool powers and have to rely on the proverbial crossbow.

Inflation much?

Charity
2010-01-28, 06:47 PM

You have 2 at wills and one encounter... that leaves you a choice of three things

its better than the old editions level one, but still.

As far as different and interesting, it sounds like you really do want a more magical class. but you're still going to have 2 at wills and an encounter (and maybe a second encounter from your race)

Druids and humans have more options.

I'd play a hybrid swordmage|wizard human that should give you a few options.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-01-28, 06:52 PM
That is actually a good point... after having played in the 5-10 level range for awhile, a level-1 character really feels like it's lacking options. After just a single round you've run out of cool powers and have to rely on the proverbial crossbow.

Inflation much?
I don't know - my 1st Level Half-Elven Barbarian had plenty of fun using Pressing Strikes and Recuperating Strike - I never even used the Dilettante power.

I saved Avalanche Strike for special occasions, and my Rage for very special occasion.