PDA

View Full Version : Spellscales

goken04
2010-01-28, 02:00 PM
Who's played them as PCs? What classes did you play? What was your character like and what flavor do you like for spellscales? I am trying to create a BBEG and am trying to brainstorm some ideas right now...

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-28, 02:06 PM
The Con hit always deterred me from the race. The free metamagic was just too limited in uses/day to justify that vulnerability for me.

Boci
2010-01-28, 02:10 PM
The Con hit always deterred me from the race.

Necropolitant? Undead dragons are always cool.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-28, 02:13 PM
Necropolitant?

I never want to lose Con as a PC. Just too damn valuable. Course, I usually play Meldshapers anyway...

Sanguine
2010-01-28, 02:14 PM
I played a Spellscale Hexblade once, I don't want to talk more on it.

Amphetryon
2010-01-28, 02:14 PM
I really like them for Fire Shugenja, as the meditation allows them to use various curative items that would otherwise be off-limits to the character. Given that many groups are built around the assumption that the divine caster is the one that is expected to take care of party healing and restoration, this ability can prevent a lot of intraparty strife.

Optimystik
2010-01-28, 02:18 PM
The Con hit always deterred me from the race. The free metamagic was just too limited in uses/day to justify that vulnerability for me.

That's why at high levels, you PAO into a true dragon and don't worry about your CON score. :smalltongue:

Anyway, I like them. A lot of the meditations are flavorful, and the skill bonuses can be welcome. Adding half your character level to Disguise checks, Spellcraft, Concentration and Listen checks as an untyped bonus each day can come in handy.

As for "limited use," note that Still Spell, Silent Spell, and Eschew Materials are unlimited uses per day as well.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-28, 05:45 PM
I never want to lose Con as a PC. Just too damn valuable. Course, I usually play Meldshapers anyway...Wheras, a Sorcerer goes from d4+con HD to d12s. That's a very nice bonus. since you'd only likely have 14 con anyways, your HP doesn't drop, you grab a bunch of immunities to make up for the -2 to Fort saves, and you don't have to spend points on Con. It's a more-or-less even trade most of the time.

sofawall
2010-01-28, 05:51 PM
Wheras, a Sorcerer goes from d4+con HD to d12s. That's a very nice bonus. since you'd only likely have 14 con anyways, your HP doesn't drop, you grab a bunch of immunities to make up for the -2 to Fort saves, and you don't have to spend points on Con. It's a more-or-less even trade most of the time.

Well, with a +6 item and 8 con, you lose 1 hp per level by staying living.

At 14 con, with a +6 item, you lose a bunch of HP by joining the dead.

Optimystik
2010-01-28, 05:55 PM
At 8 con, you have trouble staying alive long enough to "get dead."

But then again... elves take a Con hit, and nobody ever said they suck. (...Mechanically, that is.)

Boci
2010-01-28, 05:57 PM
Well, with a +6 item and 8 con, you lose 1 hp per level by staying living.

At 14 con, with a +6 item, you lose a bunch of HP by joining the dead.

Necropolitant gray elf / wizard with with the Faerie Mysteries Initiate feat?

Hopefully you can justify beginning as a necropolitant in your background story.

But then again... elves take a Con hit, and nobody ever said they suck. (...Mechanically, that is.)

I dunno. Most handbooks recomend against using elves because of the con penalty. -1 hit point and their are quite a few monsters that demand a fort save.

Thurbane
2010-01-28, 08:32 PM
I have an NPC in my homebrew campaign who's a Spellscale Bard/Master of Masks...not entirely optimal, but fun and quirky. :smallbiggrin:

...he hangs out with a Kiloren Dragonfire Adept and a Grey Elf Factotum, and occasional ally of a pair of Human twins (one Rogue/Chameleon and one Binder). All five sometimes get together and adventure under the name "The Versatiles". :smalltongue:

HCL
2010-01-28, 08:46 PM

Everyone says elves suck because they do

spellscales are ok for a couple classes, like warmage. Great Wyrm Dragonwrought Kobolds are just the better race in the book.

Voice of Reason
2010-01-28, 11:43 PM
I played a very memorable Spellscale Sorcerer/Dracolexi. I played him as a know-it-all at the top of his field (linguistics and arcana), who was never afraid to boast about his knowledge. In my opinion, the average spellscale is meant to be played as a happy medium between a kender and a stuck-up elf. They still think they're better than you, but they're a fun-loving bunch as well.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-01-29, 12:16 AM
I played a really fun, Spellscale Sorcerer/Encantatrix who loaded up on tons of draconic feats and metamagic. It was fun for an uber blaster and she had lots of backstory I worked with, she ended up maxing out the Dragon Island Affiliation before the game ended. . . pretty fun character.