PDA

View Full Version : Centaur On a Mount?

Dragero
2010-01-28, 04:29 PM
I was reading through RotW and I noticed, it says nowhere that a centaur cannot ride a mount.....This give me ideas on how I can annoy other players/the dm.

Bob: "ok guys lets go to the dungeon!"

Me(centaur)" Ok wait a minute, I have to get on my horse"

Bob:"Wtf? Dude your half-horse...."

Me:" Your point?"

Deth Muncher
2010-01-28, 04:30 PM
I was reading through RotW and I noticed, it says nowhere that a centaur cannot ride a mount.....This give me ideas on how I can annoy other players/the dm.

Bob: "ok guys lets go to the dungeon!"

Me(centaur)" Ok wait a minute, I have to get on my horse"

Bob:"Wtf? Dude your half-horse...."

Me:" Your point?"

Yo dawg, I herd u like equines...

Lysander
2010-01-28, 04:35 PM
Except that a heavy warhorse can't carry more than 900 pounds, and a centaur will weigh more than that.

Jerthanis
2010-01-28, 04:37 PM
Yo dawg, I herd u like equines...

Dang, you beat me to it!

DementedFellow
2010-01-28, 04:39 PM
Except that a heavy warhorse can't carry more than 900 pounds, and a centaur will weigh more than that.

Who says the mount has to be a warhorse. You can get a sandworm (ashworm) as a mount.

Take a moment and digest that mental image.

Flarp
2010-01-28, 04:42 PM
Take a moment and digest that mental image.

Augh. My brain. It's on fire. Ow.

Starscream
2010-01-28, 04:44 PM
No, a centaur would use some sort of human shaped creature as a mount. Probably a Goliath, or one of the smaller giants.

And when you ride it, you get some sort of Frightful Presence equivalent called "What Th-!". when an enemy sees you on your mount they must make a will save or be stunned for the next round, exclaiming "What Th-!"

Siegel
2010-01-28, 04:45 PM
Ride a giant crap

deuxhero
2010-01-28, 04:46 PM

And a centar is large anyways and needs a huge mount.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-28, 05:00 PM
What? No. This concept will not and work and were I you DM I'd tell you to stop being ridiculous and get me a coookie for your foolishness.

LibraryOgre
2010-01-28, 05:17 PM
There's a dirty joke just dying to be made here.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-28, 05:19 PM

Glad I am not the only one thinking it

mregecko
2010-01-28, 05:22 PM
I was always giggled at the thought of what a Centaur Paladin would summon as his or her mount...

There used to be a creature in 2E that was like a flying Manta Ray... I could see that.

Grumman
2010-01-28, 05:22 PM
I'd say no, a centaur cannot ride a mount. The closest you could have is a chariot or a howdah.

Morithias
2010-01-28, 05:25 PM
I believe that a centaur cannot ride a mount. Under one of the inevitable monsters. It was stated that the monster qualified for feats as if it had mounted-combat. "Due to it's Centaur like design." I believe that a centaur can take mounted combat feats, however it does not use them with a mount. It uses them with it's own body.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-28, 05:27 PM
How do you think they make quarter horses?

CTLC
2010-01-28, 05:29 PM
Centar on a mount?
thats how baby centaurs are made.
but seriously, you cannot until your character is of a legal age, and you must have consent from the mount. you take a -4 ride penalty.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-28, 05:31 PM

So you want your centaur to mount a mount?

alternatively, you want your centaur to ride a mount?

9mm
2010-01-28, 05:36 PM

sadly... I've seen that joke put into practice.

also, centaurs don't need mounts because they count as being mounted on themselves. :smallconfused:

now there's a mental image I didn't need.

hamishspence
2010-01-28, 05:39 PM
Races of Faerun made the similar joke, in this case (mustang, here, meaning horse)

"It is rumoured that centaurs are the descendant of some mad cross between a wild elf and a wild mustang, but both the centaurs and the elves categorically deny it. The mustangs have no opinion on the matter"

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-28, 06:14 PM
What? No. This concept will not and work and were I you DM I'd tell you to stop being ridiculous and get me a coookie for your foolishness.Are you telling me that you would seriously look down on a centaur mounted on a bulette (http://draconusdictum.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/bulette.jpg)? Because that screams awesome to me.

Frosty
2010-01-28, 06:29 PM
Centaur Paladins need an Alternative Class Feature at level 5.

Dragero
2010-01-28, 06:34 PM
Centaur Paladins need an Alternative Class Feature at level 5.

Maybe an elephant? A giant? Seige crab (think it's huge...)

Make a mental image of each of those.....then think about how a centaur gets onto an elephant, and how it stays up.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-28, 06:36 PM
Maybe an elephant? A giant? Seige crab (think it's huge...)

Make a mental image of each of those.....then think about how a centaur gets onto an elephant, and how it stays up.Like I said, use a Bulette. Human-horse riding a landshark.

Swok
2010-01-28, 06:38 PM
Really centaur paladins just get Charging Smite.

Or Summon Rider. :smalltongue:

Innis Cabal
2010-01-28, 06:49 PM
How do you think they make quarter horses?

This did not go unnoticed.

Frosty
2010-01-28, 06:50 PM
Really centaur paladins just get Charging Smite.

Or Summon Rider. :smalltongue:

So like, since, while, mounted, you can wield a lance with one hand...and you're considered mounted...you could Dual-Wield Lances, go Spirited Charge, Leap attack, take the Two-Weapon Pounce feat, and then Smite Evil with both attacks for...uber damage?

Let's see...that's 2x [(Large Lance damage x3) + (Str Bonus x3) + (Power Attack bonus x5) + (Paladin level x9)] correct?

ericgrau
2010-01-28, 06:53 PM
I was always giggled at the thought of what a Centaur Paladin would summon as his or her mount...

A humanoid with a jackal head to ride him, naturally.

Prime32
2010-01-28, 07:05 PM
So like, since, while, mounted, you can wield a lance with one hand...and you're considered mounted...you could Dual-Wield Lances, go Spirited Charge, Leap attack, take the Two-Weapon Pounce feat, and then Smite Evil with both attacks for...uber damage?There are more efficient methods than Two-Weapon Pounce (ones which grant you a real full attack in your charge), and TWF + Power Attack is generally a bad idea. Just because you can wield the lance in one hand doesn't mean you should - if possible find some kind of exotic lance and using the Exotic Weapon Master's Uncanny Blow ability.

Frosty
2010-01-28, 07:11 PM
There are more efficient methods than Two-Weapon Pounce (ones which grant you a real full attack in your charge), and TWF + Power Attack is generally a bad idea. Just because you can wield the lance in one hand doesn't mean you should - if possible find some kind of exotic lance and using the Exotic Weapon Master's Uncanny Blow ability.

true. Getting Pounce is also fine, but requires dipping Barbarian which is chaotic. Or requires dipping into ToB.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-28, 07:14 PM
Or requires dipping into ToB.

which is overpoweredThis is a joke.

Eldariel
2010-01-28, 07:35 PM
Oh my god, it's a goyf!

elonin
2010-01-28, 07:55 PM
sadly... I've seen that joke put into practice.

also, centaurs don't need mounts because they count as being mounted on themselves. :smallconfused:

now there's a mental image I didn't need.

How would that work?

Anyway I'd take the leadership feat and attract a humanoid cohort. Just make sure that they have the ride skill maxed out. Then have them make a ride check to give you a higher ac. Though that is the opposite of the 1/2 ling ranger/druid with a riding dog.

Runestar
2010-01-28, 08:44 PM
Would that count as some sort of ultrazord formation? :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-28, 08:52 PM
So wait, If Centaurs count as their own Paladin mount do they also get the normal mount abilities along with the option to become celestial?

Dr.Epic
2010-01-28, 08:58 PM
Are you telling me that you would seriously look down on a centaur mounted on a bulette (http://draconusdictum.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/bulette.jpg)? Because that screams awesome to me.

No a centaur could ride it they'd only have to have the horse part of them brutally chopped off and survive dismemberment.

Fhaolan
2010-01-28, 10:11 PM
So wait, If Centaurs count as their own Paladin mount do they also get the normal mount abilities along with the option to become celestial?

Huh. I wonder if that would make the Centaur Paladin a more viable PC despite the LA and RHD. Interesting...

Mystic Muse
2010-01-28, 10:13 PM
Huh. I wonder if that would make the Centaur Paladin a more viable PC despite the LA and RHD. Interesting...

well, you'd get an extra 8 HD at level 15, Natural armor, Spell resistance, DR (If Celestial) and a strength bonus so maybe. The SR really sucks though.

Fhaolan
2010-01-28, 10:21 PM
well, you'd get an extra 8 HD at level 15, Natural armor, Spell resistance, DR (If Celestial) and a strength bonus so maybe. The SR really sucks though.

As well as Improved Evasion at level 5, command other Centaurs at level 11. Not sure what to do with the Int score bit, though. :smallsmile:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-28, 10:29 PM
As well as Improved Evasion at level 5, command other Centaurs at level 11. Not sure what to do with the Int score bit, though. :smallsmile:

I believe it says something about how if the INT score the mount has would be higher you use that instead

EDIT: not in the SRD I'll check the PHB later because I swear I read that somewhere.

Stompy
2010-01-28, 10:39 PM
No a centaur could ride it they'd only have to have the horse part of them brutally chopped off and survive dismemberment.

Get an exotic saddle. :smallbiggrin:

See Also:
Centaur riding a giant shark (giant enough for the rules to "allow" it)
Centaur riding on a broom of flying

Frosty
2010-01-28, 10:42 PM

Commanding other centaurs would be awesome. You'd be the Centaur KING!

storybookknight
2010-01-28, 10:42 PM
What if the centaur was his own paladin mount? The extra HD would make up for the level adjustment :)

Flickerdart
2010-01-28, 10:53 PM
What if the centaur was his own paladin mount? The extra HD would make up for the level adjustment :)
That's the idea behind the last bit of discussion, yes.

Superglucose
2010-01-28, 11:06 PM
So like, since, while, mounted, you can wield a lance with one hand...and you're considered mounted...you could Dual-Wield Lances, go Spirited Charge, Leap attack, take the Two-Weapon Pounce feat, and then Smite Evil with both attacks for...uber damage?

Let's see...that's 2x [(Large Lance damage x3) + (Str Bonus x3) + (Power Attack bonus x5) + (Paladin level x9)] correct?
You're also going to use Shock Trooper.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-28, 11:16 PM
No a centaur could ride it they'd only have to have the horse part of them brutally chopped off and survive dismemberment.I fail to see how this is necessary. Yes, you'd need a custom saddle, but if lions and dogs can ride horses with special training, then I'd say an intelligent horse could ride something large enough.

Fhaolan
2010-01-28, 11:17 PM
The extra HD would be Centaur HD, I think, so only d8. And due to RHD and LA, you'd top out at Paladin 14 unless the game went Epic...

This is still an interesting idea. I've always said in my campaign that there was an unusual number of Centaur Paladin NPCs due to their culture, to the point I was going to have that be the favoured class rather than ranger. If I adopt this houserule, there'd be a mechanical backing to that choice. :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2010-01-28, 11:25 PM
Furthermore, could a Centaur also be his own Animal Companion and Familiar? I'm sure there's some way to make a Supermount out of this.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-28, 11:46 PM
well, there's nothing saying a mount retains its intelligence if it's higher so you couldn't be a wizard I don't think. However, the extra HD and strength might help quite a few builds along with all the other goodies mounts normally get. I don't know how else things would work with it.

Fhaolan
2010-01-28, 11:49 PM
If we can swing a Centaur Supermount, this is rapidly becoming very, very... disturbing.

OracleofWuffing
2010-01-29, 12:02 AM
Wait wait wait.

So if the Centaur counts as its own mount, it can spend a full round action to return to full health (once per day). Coincidentally, it would move five feet to the right or something, I guess. As a free action, he can... Dismiss himself?

... Wait, wait, I got it.

Okay, Summon yourself. Equip the most expensive stuff you can get. Dismiss yourself. Give equipment to trustworthy storage mule. Tomorrow, summon yourself: The mount also appears wearing or carrying any gear it had when it was last dismissed. Retrieve equipment that you gave to storage mule. Can we fit astral projection into this?

The advantage of doing this with a Centaur as opposed to standard Paladin Mount? Uh... Hard to get a warpony to hold Excalibur, I guess.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-29, 12:09 AM
Wait, DOES a Centaur count as its own Paladin mount?

elonin
2010-01-29, 06:55 AM
well, there's nothing saying a mount retains its intelligence if it's higher so you couldn't be a wizard I don't think. However, the extra HD and strength might help quite a few builds along with all the other goodies mounts normally get. I don't know how else things would work with it.

Familiars and animal companions must be normal animals (excepting improved familiar) and centaurs are magical beasts.

I'd also be hesitant to allow a paladin to summon himself as a paladin's mount. If this were allowed in general what RHD druid would not just roll his animal companion stat bonuses into himself? Paladins also don't have their special mount for the whole day.

leon666
2010-01-29, 07:18 AM
Ride a giant crap

That could get messy.............

Somebody HAD to.

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 08:03 AM

Use a Bariaur (PH) instead - LA +1, no RHD.

Dragero
2010-01-29, 09:02 AM
This has actauly become a very interesting descusion.....

So at level 5, a centaur paladin can become a celestial (half?) and summon himself to and from the celestial plane....he can also spend a full round action healing himself to full health (NOBODY will alowed that). I wonder if it's possible to turn the horse part of the centaur into a different animal......some kind of perma polymorph?

RandomLunatic
2010-01-29, 11:48 AM
Races of Faerun made the similar joke, in this case (mustang, here, meaning horse)

"It is rumoured that centaurs are the descendant of some mad cross between a wild elf and a wild mustang, but both the centaurs and the elves categorically deny it. The mustangs have no opinion on the matter"

Just say "neigh".:smalltongue:

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 12:04 PM

It's your typical romance story: "Whinny or won't he?"

OracleofWuffing
2010-01-29, 03:12 PM
Wait, DOES a Centaur count as its own Paladin mount?
Eh, by rules? Probably not. I'm going to guess there's some line saying that Centaurs count as their own mount specifically for the purposes of mounted combat somewhere, but I'm just going with the flow.

Familiars and animal companions must be normal animals (excepting improved familiar) and centaurs are magical beasts.
That may be true for familiars and animal companions, but not necessarily 100% true for Paladin Mounts- a Paladin Mount is a magical beast by default, whereas familiars and animal companions are normal animals that become magical or friendly.

he can also spend a full round action healing himself to full health (NOBODY will alowed that).
It's not really as powerful as it sounds on its own. It's only once per day, it provokes AoO, and since you're a fighting character, you're giving up an ubercharge or whatever you have going for you to do it. It's a very nice trick to keep yourself going, but without some other fun optimization tricks, I don't really see it breaking that many tables.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-29, 03:20 PM
It's your typical romance story: "Whinny or won't he?"
My policy on puns: "They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Shoot_Horses,_Don%27t_They%3F_(novel))"

Dragero
2010-01-30, 09:27 AM

GAH!!!! THE PUNS!!! THEY BURN MY EYES!!!!

Ravens_cry
2010-01-30, 09:32 AM
The eyes have it, no more puns.:smalltongue:

Fhaolan
2010-01-31, 01:51 AM
Reminds me a Centaur Bard NPC I tossed into an encounter once.

"My name's Star, I'm from Silverpool. My mates and I just got back from a raid on a Cloud Giant's castle. I wrote a song about it...

Looting in the sky for diamonds.. ahhhhhh...."

I'll get my coat...

herrhauptmann
2010-01-31, 02:45 AM
I believe that a centaur cannot ride a mount. Under one of the inevitable monsters. It was stated that the monster qualified for feats as if it had mounted-combat. "Due to it's Centaur like design." I believe that a centaur can take mounted combat feats, however it does not use them with a mount. It uses them with it's own body.

Which book is that in?
I had the idea to do a mounted ubercharger, who also made use of leap attack, combat brute and shocktrooper with a Bariaur. But I could never find any documentation which stated that a Bariaur (or other Tauric shape creature) could qualify to use Mounted feats.

I also agree that classes which grant a mount, should include a Racial Substitution level for Centaurs and other Taurics. Perhaps a bonus feat off of the fighter list.

Frosty
2010-01-31, 03:25 AM

Shouldn't they burn your ears?

Drakevarg
2010-01-31, 03:27 AM
Shouldn't they burn your ears?

Unless you read through your ears, probably not.

absolmorph
2010-01-31, 06:18 AM
Unless you read through your ears, probably not.
Or if they were being received via sound.
If you read through your ears, wouldn't that make them your eyes, since that means you're seeing through them?

Dragero
2010-01-31, 09:05 AM
Reminds me a Centaur Bard NPC I tossed into an encounter once.

"My name's Star, I'm from Silverpool. My mates and I just got back from a raid on a Cloud Giant's castle. I wrote a song about it...

Looting in the sky for diamonds.. ahhhhhh...."

I'll get my coat...

Hehehe you just gave me a great idea for my BBEGs henchmen.....THE BEATLES!!! Only in centaur form, riding elephants/girafes/yellow submarines.

herrhauptmann
2010-01-31, 10:13 AM
Hehehe you just gave me a great idea for my BBEGs henchmen.....THE BEATLES!!! Only in centaur form, riding elephants/girafes/yellow submarines.

What about Walruses?

Dragero
2010-01-31, 01:41 PM
What about Walruses?

Yeah, them too!

Thurbane
2010-01-31, 08:34 PM
If the centaur needs a mount, he coud always grab the Horse Float of Kwalish. :smallbiggrin:

herrhauptmann
2010-01-31, 08:53 PM
If the centaur needs a mount, he coud always grab the Horse Float of Kwalish. :smallbiggrin:

The what? Another form of the apparatus of kwalish?

Dragonmuncher
2010-01-31, 08:59 PM
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/02_01/LionBAR0602_468x393.jpg

Akal Saris
2010-01-31, 09:11 PM
C'mon guys, stop horsing around!!

Seriously though, I have a centaur PC in one of the higher level games I run (a half-dragon centaur - so there was definitely something kinky going on there). He either uses his own wings from half-dragon or rides (nervously) on the warlock's flying carpet.

I also allowed the charging feats to apply to centaurs and even for leap attack to stack with them, so he's the party ubercharger. His favorite item is the horseshoes of the zephyr so he can ignore most terrain while charging :P

For the record, he's about as strong as any given ubercharger build. Something like a 38 strength and 30 con at 14th level, but 4 LA and 3 Racial HD keep his atk bonus and HPs in line. He usually averages about ~90-130 a hit, maybe high 200's on a crit. AC 38 or so and some nice resistances too.

I didn't allow valorous lances and he still has 2 more levels of cavalier before deadly charge though (which meant house-ruling cavalier's ride bonus to a jump bonus...), so I expect the damage to jump up another notch in a level or two, especially if he goes for shock trooper next.

Thurbane
2010-01-31, 09:28 PM
The what? Another form of the apparatus of kwalish?
Yep. I think he invented it after the Two Wheel Iron Horse of Harley Kwalish. :smalltongue:

herrhauptmann
2010-01-31, 09:53 PM

That poor poor horse.
But another question, which book is it that says Centaur shaped creatures qualify for Mounted Combat? (Was referring to some form of Inevitable). Is it a monster manual, or a planar book?

Ravens_cry
2010-01-31, 10:09 PM
Yep. I think he invented it after the Two Wheel Iron Horse of Harley Kwalish. :smalltongue:
Oddly, he shaped it in the form of a large boar. . .:smallbiggrin:

OracleofWuffing
2010-02-01, 12:20 AM
Seriously though, I have a centaur PC in one of the higher level games I run (a half-dragon centaur - so there was definitely something kinky going on there).
So I WASN'T crazy!

DM: ...And fighting the golem in the room are two Dracotaurs.
Me: Two what?
DM: Dracotaurs.
Me: What's a Dracotaur look like?
DM: It's like a Centaur, only with a dragon added on.
Me: So it's half-horse, half-human and... Half dragon?
DM: No. No. Quit being stupid.

LibraryOgre
2010-02-01, 10:40 AM

I have never felt sorrier for an animal than I do right now.

Dragero
2010-02-01, 06:39 PM
Yeah the poor lion, having to ride on a boney old horse.