PDA

View Full Version : Playing an illusionist

Your Nemesis
2010-01-28, 05:44 PM
What awesome experiences have you had while playing an illusionist? What are some of your ideas for the use of the illusion (shodowcraft mage cheese aside, pls).

Kaun
2010-01-28, 06:52 PM
What awesome experiences have you had while playing an illusionist? What are some of your ideas for the use of the illusion (shodowcraft mage cheese aside, pls).

I havent played one in a while mainly because i have a tendancy of hoging the spot light when i do.

I remember casting an illusion to make the steps of a stone staircase look and inch higher then they actualy where when a bunch of mooks where chasing us down them.

Basicly what i always found worked best is to just slightly alter what is ment to be there because it becomes easier to believe.

I also remember using silent image to make it look like the party fighter had attacked when he hadnt just to throw off who ever he was fighting for bonuses.

This worked even better with a rogue to grant combat advantage.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-28, 06:54 PM
Invisible Spell from Cityscape, Conceal Spellcasting from CS, combined with actually knowing the spells, means that your opponents will have no clue if the wall of fire you just created was real or fake, while the lion you summoned next to them is still full-attacking. :smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2010-01-28, 06:56 PM
Diverting an entire army by making one of the roads at a fork disappear, so they went in the wrong direction... bought us enough time to get the defenses organized.

Kantolin
2010-01-28, 07:06 PM
My favorite illusionist exploits involve mixing illusions with more real things, for additional confusion when the opponent is aware you exist.

In a particularly neat case, I was disguised as a wolf while the druid was wild shaped into a wolf with a wolf animal companion. I then 'summoned' wolves while he summoned wolves, while amidst the wolves, the barbarian was greater invisible'd and stabbing people, and everyone thought it was a wolf, and nobody was sure which were the real wolves.

Good times. ^_^

Dimers
2010-01-28, 07:09 PM
Diverting an entire army by making one of the roads at a fork disappear, so they went in the wrong direction... bought us enough time to get the defenses organized.

That is ... rather awesome. Only someone who knew the road really well would have a chance to figure it out.

CTLC
2010-01-28, 07:29 PM
these are soooo cool, your nemisis [i know your name muahahahaha]
take notes!
we must ... plot

randomhero00
2010-01-28, 08:38 PM
Making fake hazards next to real hazards.
"Don't worry! The lava is fake! --- Oh !"

More of an old cartoon trick, but, an open doorway on a solid wall.

PrismaticPIA
2010-01-29, 01:56 AM
BBEG's pet Dragon chased us down a wide corridor. Silent Image to look like the party wizard used Stone Shape to close the corridor, then the party wizard scroll-casted Prismatic Wall behind my image. The Dragon charged right through my image.