PDA

View Full Version : Eximus Template [3.5] [Not Mine]

Temotei
2010-01-28, 06:01 PM
Is this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Eximus_%283.5e_Template%29) balanced? It is NOT my creation.

I think it might be a bit powerful, but that could be just me.

arguskos
2010-01-28, 06:31 PM
...I'm gonna come down on the side of "wtf guys". It's pretty powerful, considering that "special abilities" can be spell casting, meaning you get a +3 insight bonus to your spell DCs. It gets +2 untyped to three attribute scores and Fast Healing=HD. I really think that +3 insight bonus needs to be clarified a lot as to exactly what qualifies and what doesn't. I mean, that's really the thing that makes me go "uh... wut".

Now, is it better than Feral (a +1, but commonly understood to be understood to be better than +1)? I am unsure. However, it IS pretty damn strong. Considering that it doesn't say you can't choose an ability more than once, you could just keep taking Fast Healing and become Wolverine. A level 5 eximus fighter has Fast Healing 10, +3 attack or damage to charges (arguably a special ability), and can do some very stupid things.

I would say it ranges from LA 1 to LA 3, depending on how sane your DM is in the reading of the Special Abilities/Special Qualities stuff.

Milskidasith
2010-01-28, 06:38 PM
Is this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Eximus_%283.5e_Template%29) balanced? It is NOT my creation.

I think it might be a bit powerful, but that could be just me.

For LA 2, you get...

+10 feet speed. Minor.

+2 to three abilities. Minor even for MAD classes (as far as templates go), and only a minimal benefit for SAD classes (+2 to key attribute, +2 Con, +2 dex is probably the general idea.)

+3 to the DC of all it's abilities. Nice on casters or classes focused on DCs, terrible on melee classes (+3 damage, woo! Well, you could add +3 to your trip checks, I suppose, but those go up faster than saves anyway, so it's relatively weaker.)

+4 to initiative. Eh.

+3 HP Crap.

INA if you are a druid, kobold, warforged, or some creature with natural attacks. Not bad.

And the biggest things, at level 20 (with no buyoff), you'd have Fast Healing 18, and resistance to two things at 21 (or SR 21, which is useless, and sonic resistance 19).

Besides the fast healing, it's pretty much standard for an LA 2 template, though the +3 DC is nice. With fast healing as high as it is, and two nice resistances as well, it actually becomes a combat relevant and powerful feature, so yeah, it probably needs a bit of an LA tweak.

EDIT: Assuming you can buy the ability multiple times, you can get fast healing 54, or fast healing 80 if you use LA buyoff. That's pretty nutty.

Temotei
2010-01-28, 08:47 PM
For LA 2, you get...

+10 feet speed. Minor.

+2 to three abilities. Minor even for MAD classes (as far as templates go), and only a minimal benefit for SAD classes (+2 to key attribute, +2 Con, +2 dex is probably the general idea.)

+3 to the DC of all it's abilities. Nice on casters or classes focused on DCs, terrible on melee classes (+3 damage, woo! Well, you could add +3 to your trip checks, I suppose, but those go up faster than saves anyway, so it's relatively weaker.)

+4 to initiative. Eh.

+3 HP Crap.

INA if you are a druid, kobold, warforged, or some creature with natural attacks. Not bad.

And the biggest things, at level 20 (with no buyoff), you'd have Fast Healing 18, and resistance to two things at 21 (or SR 21, which is useless, and sonic resistance 19).

Besides the fast healing, it's pretty much standard for an LA 2 template, though the +3 DC is nice. With fast healing as high as it is, and two nice resistances as well, it actually becomes a combat relevant and powerful feature, so yeah, it probably needs a bit of an LA tweak.

EDIT: Assuming you can buy the ability multiple times, you can get fast healing 54, or fast healing 80 if you use LA buyoff. That's pretty nutty.

LA +3 then? Should I edit the template itself?

Keeping the LA at +2 would constitute making the fast healing something like 1/2 HD, giving up to 15 resistances, and +8 initiative (or some other small boost?)?

...I'm gonna come down on the side of "wtf guys". It's pretty powerful, considering that "special abilities" can be spell casting, meaning you get a +3 insight bonus to your spell DCs. It gets +2 untyped to three attribute scores and Fast Healing=HD. I really think that +3 insight bonus needs to be clarified a lot as to exactly what qualifies and what doesn't. I mean, that's really the thing that makes me go "uh... wut".

Now, is it better than Feral (a +1, but commonly understood to be understood to be better than +1)? I am unsure. However, it IS pretty damn strong. Considering that it doesn't say you can't choose an ability more than once, you could just keep taking Fast Healing and become Wolverine. A level 5 eximus fighter has Fast Healing 10, +3 attack or damage to charges (arguably a special ability), and can do some very stupid things.

I would say it ranges from LA 1 to LA 3, depending on how sane your DM is in the reading of the Special Abilities/Special Qualities stuff.

Maybe if I altered the insight bonus to be +1 that can be changed once per week, it would be better? That way, it doesn't really step on the toes of Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus, but it's still useful. Or maybe I can say something along the lines of, "If you apply this bonus to spellcasting, you may only choose one school to apply the insight bonus to."

:smalleek: