PDA

View Full Version : Thrii-Kreen Options

Iden
2010-01-28, 06:57 PM
So, in my monday night 3.0/3.5 DnD game I've been playing a Thrii-Kreen. I really enjoy it so far and I've been using two gythcas, the double bladed exotic thrii-kreen weapon. I used my one feat to pick up multi-weapon fighting from the monster manual. We started at level 1 and are about to hit 5 which, according to my math, is when I'll be taking my first class level with the two monster HD and +2 LA. First can someone help me out with the attack bonuses. I have an attack with each end and one gythka is +2. with a +4 str mod and multi-weapon fighting, what attack bonuses am I looking at for the 4 attacks.

Also where should I go from here? I'm betting I can convince my DM to replace instances of "Two weapon fighting" in class abilities with "Multiweapon fighting." So Ranger maybe? Or how hard is Exotic weapon master and how useful would it be for me. Or is there something I'm missing.

Thanks alot,
Iden

Grumman
2010-01-28, 07:05 PM
Are you using your psionic abilities at all? I'd ask the DM if you could switch it out for a Non-Psionic Thri Kreen, which is exactly the same but doesn't have the natural psionics, and has a +1 LA instead of +2. It's from Monster Manual II.

Your attacks should be +2/+2/+2/+2, thanks to the -4 penalty for wielding a non-light weapon in one of your off hands.

Iden
2010-01-29, 04:15 PM
Oh man, dropping those psionic powers for the drop in LA was great. I actually got to take a class level.

I spoke with my DM and we agreed to allot any reference to two weapon fighting to be replaced with Multiweapon fighting. So I went with a level in ranger.

I'm still looking for where to go from here. I do plan to buy back my LA using UA's rules.

I was looking at Exotic Weapon Master and Tempest. Maybe just straight ranger or dipping into fighter to pick up some more feats.

Suggestions?

Ernir
2010-01-29, 05:03 PM
Suggestions?

How familiar are you with Tome of Battle? I've always thought Thri-Kreen would make mean Swordsages.

Uh... do you like Dervishes? In any case, you really need to make sure you're making full attacks as often as you possibly can. See this list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358).

Anything with precision damage (Sneak Attack, Skirmish, whatever) will be rather stronger for you than for most, but it is still a relatively hard thing to get right.

Exotic Weapon Master can be a handy dip, if one of the abilities is something you really like. Tempest... eh, I'd be surprised if you can't do better than that. :smalltongue:

Draz74
2010-01-29, 05:06 PM
How familiar are you with Tome of Battle? I've always thought Thri-Kreen would make mean Swordsages. Warblades.

OK, honestly Thri-Kreen could do great as either of these classes. They both grant access to Tiger Claw, which has fantastic synergy with Thri-Kreen abilities. But I really think they're more cut out for Warblades than for Swordsages.

Lycanthromancer
2010-01-29, 05:13 PM
Make sure to take the psionicless thri-kreen, then buy off the LA. Can you retrain racial hit dice? If so, you may consider going ranger 2/psychic warrior (or ardent) 8/illithid slayer 10. Slayers get some really nice abilities, psychic warriors get some really nice powers and some potentially awesome feats, and ardents multiclass VERY well.

Just make sure to take the Linked Power feat (from CPsi, one of the few things I like about the book), so you can buff using your swift actions and not have to worry about eating up combat-time.

Thri-kreen make awesome mounted combatants. Quad-wield lances (or dual-wield double-handed) on a mount, with Ride-by Attack and Spirited Charge (and Power Attack and Shock Trooper, of course), and you can get some absolutely sickening damage on a charge. Toss in a level of swordsage somewhere for sneak-attack-in-a-stance and Craven and you're gold.

Ernir
2010-01-29, 05:16 PM
OK, honestly Thri-Kreen could do great as either of these classes. They both grant access to Tiger Claw, which has fantastic synergy with Thri-Kreen abilities. But I really think they're more cut out for Warblades than for Swordsages.

Maybe. Tiger Claw is definitely where it's at. I'd prefer Swordsage due to the Kreens' ability score modifiers and the Swordsage's easier access to maneuverability-enhancers, which full-attackers rather need.
Still, Warblade has full BAB and the rest of their goodies. Yumm on that too.

My preference might have something to do with Swordsage being my favourite class ever, and me trying to use it for everything. :smalltongue:

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-29, 05:26 PM
Get two light weapons for the off hands, so you still have a +4 to attacks.

There's already the multiweapon fighting feat chain.

In here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm)

You need BAB to get them, though, so take Warblade. Many tricks to get full attacks....swift action jump works very very well with thri-keen. +20 racial to jump iirc.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-29, 06:09 PM
swift action jump works very very well with thri-keen. +20 racial to jump iirc.

+30

Thri-Kreen's power is to JUMP!

drengnikrafe
2010-01-29, 06:18 PM
I seem to recall a silly build that involves a rogue, sleeve blades, boot blades, elbow blades, and knee blades (Complete Scoundrel) on a Thrii-Kreen ending in something like 20 attacks around, each dealing Sneak Attack (if you can get the flank or flat-footed).

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-29, 06:21 PM
The record is in the hundred thousands of attacks iirc.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-29, 06:32 PM
The record is in the hundred thousands of attacks iirc.
Not my favourite kind of cheese, as it only works as an abstraction of the rules, not as something really conceivable actually happening within a plausible physical system.

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-29, 06:48 PM
Actually, it just had a LOT of heads. And arms for each head. Still, not concievable, as you say.

Grumman
2010-01-29, 09:21 PM
If you go with Warblade, one thing I think is absolutely hilarious is getting the three Shadow Hand teleport maneuvers and using Telflammar Shadowlord to full attack four times every two rounds. I had a build somewhere that combined this with Cavestalker to let you quad-wield spiked chains while doing so.

sofawall
2010-01-29, 10:26 PM
Can you retrain racial hit dice?

Yes.

As the same racial hit dice.

Iden
2010-02-04, 10:57 PM
Okay so I got my first level in ranger. What's my easiest way into dervish? Seems like I got to retrain or something to get the feats and skills I need.

Iden
2010-02-05, 05:55 PM
So my dm agreed to give me an item that let's me pounce. As it appears I will need a few levels of fighter in order to get the feats required to enter dervish. A looks a but like all my feats and bonus feats will have to go toward that in order to make it there at a reasonable level. With those accounted for, any other items I should look for?