PDA

View Full Version : [4e] How large are large sized humanoids?

Thoraxe
2010-01-28, 07:09 PM
I've recently made a 25th level Goliath Barbarian with the Eternal Defender epic path. The path allows a 25 and 100% increase above the normal max height and weight for your race. This brings a Goliath's max height and weight to 9' 7" 680lbs. (If I calculated correctly.)

The path says that you don't change size categorizes, but I still wonder if my character rivals the size of large sized monsters. Does anyone have idea what the average size for large monsters (specifically humanoids) are?

Inyssius Tor
2010-01-28, 07:23 PM
I haven't the foggiest idea.

At epic levels, though, I would say that precise measurements get a little... myffic. So, yeah, you totally do.

Gralamin
2010-01-28, 07:31 PM
4e never states how sizes reflect real world measurements. I interpret this to mean that creatures are as big as cinematically needed.

That said, 3.5 suggested a height of 8-16 ft for large creatures.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-28, 07:34 PM
Even if we could realistically import the size guidelines from 3.5 to 4E, you'd only be rivaling the size of the smallest of Large creatures.

taltamir
2010-01-28, 07:37 PM
each size category increase means a doubling of every dimension measurement (and as a result, 8x the mass).

However, the problem with that is that there are strict "brackets"... so the smallest "large" creature can be a mere inch taller than the tallest medium creature.

medium are 4-8 feet tall. large 8-16, next size up is 16-32, and so on.

for weight, just 8x it. 200 lbs x8 = 1600 pound. Not unreasonable for a large creature...
of course, whether you are an 8 foot tall or a 16 foot tall beast makes quite a difference. the bigger a creature is, the bigger the gap becomes

Thoraxe
2010-01-28, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. It seems I won't be able to scare large monsters as much as I wished but hopefully I'll still strike fear into the hearts of medium and smaller creatures :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2010-01-29, 03:37 AM
However, the problem with that is that there are strict "brackets"... so the smallest "large" creature can be a mere inch taller than the tallest medium creature.

medium are 4-8 feet tall. large 8-16, next size up is 16-32, and so on.

for weight, just 8x it. 200 lbs x8 = 1600 pound. Not unreasonable for a large creature...
of course, whether you are an 8 foot tall or a 16 foot tall beast makes quite a difference. the bigger a creature is, the bigger the gap becomes

The bracket rules are occasionally broken as well- the tallest and heaviest Varag from MMIV (medium goblinoid without Powerful Build) will be taller and heavier than the smallest, lightest half-ogre (large)