PDA

View Full Version : Magic Scabbards

Graywolf
2010-01-28, 08:02 PM
When it comes down to it I really like the idea of magical scabbards, but when I was looking through magic items today, I could really only find the sacred scabbard and the scabbard of keen edges. So here are a few more off the top of my head...

Magic Scabbard: can cast magic weapon on the blade 3x a day

Greater Magic Scabbard: can cast greater magic weapon on the blade 3x a day (caster level of the creator is important on this one.)

Scabbard of True Striking: once a week gives you a +20 to hit with the next attack from the weapon stored in the sheath.

I realize these aren't horribly imaginative on my part. (Though it gives me an idea for a game where the characters get basic Magic scabbards instead of the standard +1 weapons...) So any other ideas for magical scabbards?

Thurbane
2010-01-28, 08:12 PM
Excalibur's Scabbard = Periapt of Wound Closure (more or less, maybe some DR/bludgeoning as well).

ericgrau
2010-01-28, 08:15 PM
Korlinium scabbard, from Lone Wolf. Conceals the magical aura and light of any weapon stored in it, even artifacts. It was necessary for the series b/c you spend most of the time working undercover with a sword that registers as OMFG to any mage that even happens to stand nearby.

randomhero00
2010-01-28, 08:49 PM
Baneheart Scabbard- Each time the dagger is pulled from the scabbard it gets one application of a light poison.

Lapak
2010-01-28, 08:59 PM
Scabbard of Storage: looks appropriate to hold a dagger, can actually hold any bladed weapon up to Greatsword sized.

Scabbard of Throwing Daggers: A whole bandolier in one convenient package! Produces an unlimited supply of +1 Daggers which 1 round after they are drawn.

Scabbard-Staff: This stiff leather scabbard can also serve as a +1 Club if wielded as a weapon, either in the off-hand while Two-Weapon fighting or as an unexpected holdout weapon.

Spring-Loaded Scabbard: This scabbard can be projected off the blade at an enemy, doing damage as a Heavy Crossbow bolt.

I'll think on it a bit - a lot of ideas come to mind.

Swordgleam
2010-01-28, 09:00 PM
The Adventurer's Vault book for 4e has a bunch of magic scabbards (and whetstones, which are pretty similar aside from being one-use). If you can get your hands on it, you might try porting over some of those.

Yucca
2010-01-28, 09:00 PM
The problem with scabbards is that they only work for swords, so you risk buying a magic item then finding a really nice magic axe. You can't use them both. Weapon crystals fill the "minor magic weapon addon" niche.

But I agree, weapon crystals aren't nearly as cool as enchanted scabbards.

Scabbard of Fluidity: Any weapon stored in this scabbard can be dawn as a free action. Once per day, if you draw a light weapon from this scabbard and attack with it in the same round, your opponent is considered flat-footed for this purpose of that attack.

Swordgleam
2010-01-28, 09:03 PM
The problem with scabbards is that they only work for swords, so you risk buying a magic item then finding a really nice magic axe. You can't use them both. Weapon crystals fill the "minor magic weapon addon" niche.

So there's a good idea for one - Scabbard of Flexibility: Changes shape and size to fit any weapon (axe blades can have covers, too) and conveys some kind of minor bonus.

Lapak
2010-01-28, 09:06 PM
Scabbard of Dread: This dark scabbard with blood-red runes inspires horror in any creatures that can see it. Any creature who remains within 50 feet of a weapon sheathed in this scabbard for 2 or more consecutive rounds must make a Will save when the weapon is drawn (DC 15 + number of rounds they remained within the scabbard's influence) or suffer a -2 morale penalty to Armor Class against all attacks using that weapon.

Scabbard of Luminescence: Any weapon stored in this scabbard for one hour or more glows with a light equal to a Light spell for 6 hours once drawn. Sheathing the weapon ends this effect.

Scabbard of Luminescence, Greater: Any weapon stored in this scabbard for one hour or more glows with a light equal to a Daylight spell for 6 hours once drawn. Sheathing the weapon ends this effect.

randomhero00
2010-01-28, 09:08 PM
Scabbard of Biting Winds- Once per day this scabbard charges your blade with the element of air; you may make your normal attack at 25 feet instead of melee range.

(ninja scroll anyone? :) except his would be at will)

Temotei
2010-01-28, 09:26 PM
Scabbard of the Hero: Casts heroism 1/day.

Scabbard of the Great Hero: Casts greater heroism 1/day, heroism 1/day.

Dragon Scabbard: Gives your weapon a breath attack of its own, based on the type of dragon used to infuse magic into the scabbard.

Flying Scabbard: Allows the use of fly 1/day by standing on the scabbard (it's thick enough for a Medium-sized creature to stand on it--should probably be a large sword, although if you took the ability from a previous scabbard to allow greatswords to fit into dagger scabbards and reversed it...)

Scabbard of Storage (large): Looks appropriate to hold a greatsword, but can hold any smaller weapon.

Camel Scabbard: Produces two gallons of clean water per day.

Beorn080
2010-01-28, 09:34 PM
Scabbard of Throwing Daggers: A whole bandolier in one convenient package! Produces an unlimited supply of +1 Daggers which 1 round after they are drawn.

I once got something similar as a starting wish from a DM, except they didn't disappear. Rather funny.

Steven's Superior Sword Storage: A sword case that appears large enough to carry a long sword, but in fact has sufficent storage space for 10 melee weapons of any sort. In addition, whichever weapon the user is looking for comes to the users hand, making it a free action to draw a weapon.

Fhaolan
2010-01-28, 09:39 PM
In 1st ed. AD&D, King Arthur's scabbard was a 'scabbard of defence' basically, and would actually attempt to block edged attacks. It reduced all piercing and slashing attacks to half damage. You could do something similar but make it more generic and have the scabard give a defensive bonus equivalent to a shield, +1, +2, etc.

Although the image of this scabbard attached to a baldric writhing around blocking blows on it's own is a bit disturbing now that I think on it...

dragonfan6490
2010-01-28, 11:31 PM
Excalibur's Scabbard = Periapt of Wound Closure (more or less, maybe some DR/bludgeoning as well).

It also granted ridiculous Fast Healing in some legends.

Lapak
2010-01-29, 12:17 AM
I once got something similar as a starting wish from a DM, except they didn't disappear. Rather funny.I'm glad you understood the intent even though I left out a rather important word. :smallredface:

2xMachina
2010-01-29, 09:23 AM

Scabbard of Fluidity: Any weapon stored in this scabbard can be dawn as a free action. Once per day, if you draw a light weapon from this scabbard and attack with it in the same round, your opponent is considered flat-footed for this purpose of that attack.

Sounds great for Iajutsu checks. And if it's not too expensive, have like 10, and keep drawing and dropping the weapon.

Lapak
2010-01-29, 11:35 AM
Had a couple of ideas today; this one is closest to being complete.

Scabbard of Binding: This intricately-decorated artifact scabbard can resize to fit any one-handed weapon, becoming a padded cover if touched by an axe-like or crushing weapon. Any weapon placed inside is rendered nigh-indestructible but magically inert, up to and including artifact-level objects. Cursed weapons cannot leave the scabbard of their own accord and no constant or invoked powers of a weapon within the Scabbard can be used. Striking with the sheathed weapon inflicts 1d6 non-lethal damage.

Any weapon placed in the Scabbard can only be drawn forth or uncovered by passing a DC 25 Strength check.

Blackfang108
2010-01-29, 12:09 PM
Korlinium scabbard, from Lone Wolf. Conceals the magical aura and light of any weapon stored in it, even artifacts. It was necessary for the series b/c you spend most of the time working undercover with a sword that registers as OMFG to any mage that even happens to stand nearby.

Nearby? Nearby?

They only had to be on the same Continent and they could see it.

It was one powerful-ass sword.

Graywolf
2010-02-02, 01:53 PM

From the Sacred scabbard description: "A sacred scabbard can change to fit any dagger, sword, or axe touched to it, even making allowances for double weapons."

I believe that's a fairly standard trait for magical scabbards, kind of like the way magical armor re-sizes to fit the wearer. That being said, I get what your saying, finding a magic scabbard doesn't do you a lot of good if you use a warhammer or mace, or whatever. That being said covers do exist for most weapons. There's no reason why they couldn't be enchanted.

On a related note our FLGS recently got in a morning star with it's own scabbard/cover. It was cool, it would take forever to actually get off the weapon, but it was still cool.

Lysander
2010-02-02, 04:53 PM
A few scabbard ideas:

Scabbard of Calling - Any weapon contained in this scabbard is teleported into its owner's hand via a Dimension Door like affect when they ask for it aloud, as long as the scabbard is no more than fifty feet away. Whether the scabbard is worn or distant, calling the weapon is a free action. The scabbard cannot transport itself.

Shadowcraft Scabbard - On command when empty the scabbard can create a +1 magic longsword that lasts for ten minutes before vanishing. The scabbard loses the ability to create a sword until the ten minutes are up. The scabbard can also hold a longswords, but cannot create a sword when it is full.

Secret Scabbard - This scabbard and any weapon it contains is continuously invisible. A weapon becomes visible when drawn.

Shpadoinkle
2010-02-02, 06:09 PM
I recall someone on the WotC boards coming p with something like this: A scabbard that, when activated, temporarily imbues the next weapon drawn from it with heat or cold. In game terms this means that for five rounds after being drawn the weapon deals an extra 1d3 fire or cold damage, usable three times per day.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-02, 06:16 PM
Scabbard of Flames: Makes the weapon drawn Flaming for 1 minute 3/day.

Lather, rinse and repeat for other energy types.

Steel Wall Scabbard: When you draw the weapon the scabbard turns to liguid and wraps around the wielder, turning into Full Plate (scabbard enchants like armour and passes it on when used).

Thurbane
2010-02-02, 09:03 PM
Scabbard of Transmuation: 3/day can tranform the metal of a weapon into cold iron, alchemical silver or adamantine. Effect persists for 1 minute.

Schylerwalker
2010-02-02, 10:09 PM
Scabbard of Hectic Assistance: This scabbard is made of battered black leather; the metal toolings on it seems to shift from iron, to silver, to gold, then copper, and back again. Any weapon drawn from this scabbard has a random magical property, as determined by a d% roll.
1: This blade is perfectly ordinary, but it curves slightly and has a perilously sharp edge, close enough to shave with. It is a keen weapon.
2: The blade is now dark and flecked with what looks like specks of blade. The blade is serrated and jagged; it is a vicious weapon.
3: Wreathed in crackling flames, the blade sheds light as a torch and radiates heat approximate to that of a small campfire. This weapon is now flaming.
4: It seems that the blade is covered in a thick sheen of frost, and it seems the very air around it has grown deadly cold. The weapon is now icy.
5: The blade of this weapon is whispy and indistinct, almost seeming to waver in and out of existence. It is now a ghost touch weapon.
6: Electricity crackles up and down the length of the weapon, and sparks jump off and spiral into nothingness. The weapon is now shocking.

Scabbard of Peaceable Intercourse: Any weapon drawn from this ordinary looking scabbard functions as a merciful weapon. However, it can only be used to use subdual damage. The weapon only looses the merciful property if you sheath it in an ordinary weapon and keep it there for at least an hour before drawing it again.

Scabbard of the Keening Zephyr: You may draw your weapon from this elegantly appointed scabbard as a free action. If you possess the Quick Draw feat, you may draw it as an immediate action. Once per day, as you draw the weapon, you may cast gust of wind, caster level 5th, targeting the area directly in front of you.

Zeta Kai
2010-02-03, 11:53 AM
Well, the VUACS team has actually been working on a number of interesting magical scabbards. Here is an example:

Scabbard of the Sirocco

This scabbard is made of leather with a golden flame pattern etched into the metal of its curling pommel guard.
When a weapon is drawn forth from within, it gains the Flaming special quality for the next 1d6+1 rounds; if the weapon already possesses the Flaming quality, the additional fire damage stacks. If the weapon placed in this scabbard has been within another magical scabbard in the past 24 hours, this scabbard’s powers will not function.
Wondrous Item (scabbard).
Moderate evocation; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item, fireball or produce flame; price 22,000gp; weight 1 lb.

Killer Angel
2010-02-03, 12:14 PM
Scabbard of spell storing: the scabbard is enchanted with the spell storing ability: while unsheating the blade, as a part of the move action, the owner can transfer such spell to the blade. You cannot use the Fast Draw feat, while transferring the spell. The spell must be used in the next minute.

ericgrau
2010-02-03, 01:49 PM
Scabbard of Hiding: This scabbard may resize to hold any bladed weapon from a dagger to a greatsword. On command (a standard action) the scabbard may shrink to the size of a coin along with the contained blade, granting a +4 to sleight of hand checks to conceal it. Another command by the owner (only) restores the scabbard and weapon to their original size, unless constrained by an enclosure. Price: 5,000 gp?

Scabbard of Doubling: This scabbard reshapes and acts as if it were the last non-epic bladed weapon stored within it, with the following exceptions: The scabbard hits at a -4 penalty and deals nonlethal damage. Those with two weapon fighting may draw the scabbard at the same time as the weapon contained within it just as if the scabbard were any other weapon. Price: 98,000gp.

Scabbard of Devouring: As bag of devouring. No price.

Useful Scabbad: This scabbard may function as an immovable rod, function as a scabbard of hiding, extend as a rod of lordly might, function as a self-hammering climbing piton, act as a decanter of endless water when no weapon is sheathed, give a +4 to strength checks when used to pry as a crowbar, or fly to the hand of its last owner (whoever last carried it for at least 5 minutes) on command if able while canceling any previous options. Price: I'm too lazy to estimate.

Cieyrin
2010-02-03, 07:12 PM
Nearby? Nearby?

They only had to be on the same Continent and they could see it.

It was one powerful-ass sword.

Not to mention you got the thing in the 2nd book, when you're like 5th or 6th level in D&D terms, effectively. Nice, you're a low level character with a Major Artifact, who wouldn't want to try to gank you and your sword that blinds anyone who casts Detect Magic within several miles of the thing?

EDIT:
I believe that's a fairly standard trait for magical scabbards, kind of like the way magical armor re-sizes to fit the wearer. That being said, I get what your saying, finding a magic scabbard doesn't do you a lot of good if you use a warhammer or mace, or whatever. That being said covers do exist for most weapons. There's no reason why they couldn't be enchanted.

That's also an issue I have, as I often have characters who favor bludgeoning weapons, as there's nothing quite as satisfying as smiting infidels with your Sledgehammer of Badassery. Smacking some sense into people was never so fun when you can beat it into their head with a hammer.

Thurbane
2010-02-03, 08:03 PM
Scabbard of Venom: coats weapon with injury poison, 1/day. Type of posion is determined at time of manufacture, and determines cost.

Scabbard of Calling: summons any weapon that will fit the scabbard, 3/day, exactly as the Summon Weapon spell.