PDA

View Full Version : Wizards or Bakers?

sparkyinbozo
2010-01-28, 08:52 PM
Hey, I don't know if this has been brought up before, but...

In panel 3 of 366 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0366.html), the wizard said he could've been a baker instead, and then we have V, a wizard, and V's mate, a baker.

Maybe they're under the same heading on the OOTS career interest test?

Gift Jeraff
2010-01-28, 09:00 PM
Clearly he's saying he could have tried out for the role of Inkyrius but decided not to.

Devixer
2010-01-28, 09:01 PM
Can't say I doubt it. Both professions require a lot of precision and patience.

Setra
2010-01-28, 09:05 PM
Cup of guano
Pinch of sulfur
bake at 3000 degrees celsius for 6 seconds.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-28, 09:07 PM
Clearly he's saying he could have tried out for the role of Inkyrius but decided not to.

He has a clearly established gender though.

Optimystik
2010-01-28, 09:55 PM
Cup of guano
Pinch of sulfur
bake at 3000 degrees celsius for 6 seconds.

Under 6 seconds, actually. (A whole 6 would be a full-round action.)

Kome
2010-01-28, 10:10 PM
Considering some of my culinary disasters... the fire department and I can see some parallels.

TheBlackShadow
2010-01-29, 09:20 AM
He has a clearly established gender though.

That's why he failed the audition, then.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-29, 11:42 AM
That's why he failed the audition, then.
Would have failed the audition. He considered auditioning but decided not to. I think he realized he would have failed and that’s why he decided not to. It just so happens he forgot why he didn’t do the audition after he got drunk.

Actually, I think we’re onto something. After all, pastries are served at tea parties. Parties that also feature with doilies, the gateways to ultimate cosmic power (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0033.html)!

Oh, and let’s not forget Fruit Pie the Sorcerer!

Asta Kask
2010-01-29, 03:57 PM
What about butchers and candlestick-makers?

Scarlet Knight
2010-01-29, 04:14 PM
Bakers and wizards both appreciate a good doily...:smallsmile:

Ooops, sorry Windrider.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-29, 05:14 PM
Ooops, sorry Windrider.

Can’t say I’ve claimed any monopolies on observations of the doily connection. :smalltongue:

Starscream
2010-01-29, 06:15 PM
Considering that the first prequel book showed wizards competing in a spoof of Iron Chef, the idea that cooking and magic are somehow related in this universe is actually pretty well supported.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-29, 11:33 PM
Considering that the first prequel book showed wizards competing in a spoof of Iron Chef, the idea that cooking and magic are somehow related in this universe is actually pretty well supported.

If magic and culinary skills are related how does that affect Belkar and what would that make George Foreman?

Asta Kask
2010-01-30, 05:04 AM
Does this mean that the Naked Mage only uses spells without expensive ingredients?

Tackyhillbillu
2010-01-30, 05:07 AM
If magic and culinary skills are related how does that affect Belkar and what would that make George Foreman?

George Foreman is a Warlock. He seems to be cooking, but he actually isn't.

Teddy
2010-01-30, 05:13 AM
Does this mean that the Naked Mage only uses spells without expensive ingredients?

Perhaps he uses cheap ingredients to achieve (almost) the same results. It cuts the costs of expensive spells, or something like that. Or perhaps he makes the "cheap" spells more effective...

Sereg
2010-01-30, 05:54 AM
I've thought for a while that V's marriage proves that elves know that things as awesome as magic and baking belong together. Yet another reason that I love elves.

Of course, maybe that means that the staff of pies alteration is more powerful than it first appears and let's not forget the banana-nut muffin of doom from the Crack pairings thread.

No, he demonstrates cheaper ways of collecting material components than buying them already prepared.

Starscream
2010-01-30, 09:37 AM

Most rangers can cast spells. Belkar can't, but he can cook. Maybe in this universe you can either cook or do magic but not both? Sort of reminds me of Discworld, wherein it was mentioned that you can't be good at both magic and music.

Spirited Charge
2010-01-30, 10:07 AM
Most rangers can cast spells. Belkar can't, but he can cook. Maybe in this universe you can either cook or do magic but not both? Sort of reminds me of Discworld, wherein it was mentioned that you can't be good at both magic and music.

Makes good sense to me. I have to say, though, that this connection between cooking and magic (if intended) is one of the strangest and most concealed ones yet to be seen in OOTS.

So, if it was intended, then why? Is there a straightforward reason why? My inclination is that it wasn't meant to be a joke. If it was, then it would have been a bit more obvious or just stated outright.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-30, 10:30 AM
My inclination is that it wasn't meant to be a joke. If it was, then it would have been a bit more obvious or just stated outright.
Only if he wanted everyone to get the joke. Sometimes jokes are just there for the observant.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-30, 10:49 AM

What of the characters that can't do either?

sparkyinbozo
2010-01-30, 12:03 PM
Baking and cooking do have some key differences, though. Baking is usually in an oven and often focuses on pastries. Cooking (i.e., Belkar) is a more generic term.

Baking is more like a prestige class with cooking being the prerequisite.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-30, 12:15 PM
George Foreman is a Warlock. He seems to be cooking, but he actually isn't.

Sig'd

Of course there are some who can both use magic AND cook, but It takes so long to get good at both (rather than just have a high volume of spells and pastries available) that most campaign worlds have usually ended.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-30, 12:32 PM
Sig'd

Of course there are some who can both use magic AND cook, but It takes so long to get good at both (rather than just have a high volume of spells and pastries available) that most campaign worlds have usually ended.

A sort of mystic theurge except with magic and cooking?

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-30, 12:39 PM
A sort of mystic theurge except with magic and cooking?

Well there are Theurge type classes for every other type of class, why not Magic/Baking?

Pyron
2010-01-30, 12:45 PM
Sig'd

You just need the right magic item (see #9) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/Incentives.html) to do both.

Asta Kask
2010-01-30, 12:47 PM
What of the characters that can't do either?

That's the NPC classes.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-30, 12:49 PM
That's the NPC classes.

So Roy and Haley are NPCs?

Sereg
2010-01-30, 12:50 PM
You just need the right magic item (see #9) to do both.

Of course, maybe that means that the staff of pies alteration is more powerful than it first appears

Beat you to it. Of course you provided the link, so well done.

Asta Kask
2010-01-30, 12:50 PM
We don't know they can't do cooking. Haley should, she's a woman.

*hides*

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-30, 01:01 PM
So Roy and Haley are NPCs?

It's just the optimization rules. Anything that isn't a full caster (or full baker) is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Edit:

*hides*

It was nice knowing you :smallwink:

Asta Kask
2010-01-30, 01:14 PM
It was nice knowing you :smallwink:

I have an astronomical Hide score. And I'm taking 30.

Kish
2010-01-30, 01:19 PM
I have an astronomical Hide score. And I'm taking 30.
30? No such rule.

Oh, and *casts Horrid Wilting at Asta Kask*

Asta Kask
2010-01-30, 01:22 PM
30? No such rule.

Take 30 is a combination of taking 10 and taking 20. :smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-30, 01:29 PM
30? No such rule.

Desperate times call for desperate measures :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-01-31, 01:38 AM
Take 30 is a combination of taking 10 and taking 20. :smallbiggrin:

Red Mage, is that you?

ThePhantasm
2010-01-31, 01:44 AM
Actually, I think we’re onto something. After all, pastries are served at tea parties. Parties that also feature with doilies, the gateways to ultimate cosmic power (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0033.html)!

Huh. Maybe its a carefully constructed metaphor on Rich's part. We've been thinking all along that the ICC would give V ultimate power but it could be that V's reuniting of his family introduces him to something more powerful..... uh a stretch but still there is something there....

Devils_Advocate
2010-02-06, 03:09 AM
:smalltongue: One of her lines in On the Origin of PCs suggests that she's not terribly... domestic, actually. Which isn't too surprising.

Ranger Mattos
2010-02-07, 09:30 PM

Shouldn't he be using a Staff of Pies Alteration (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/Incentives.html)?