PDA

View Full Version : Questions about optimized clerics from the cleric handbook

Os1ris09
2010-01-28, 10:12 PM
All these questions deal with the following link:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0

For the super holy warrior build do illumians get all the special word things or is there a limit to the number of words you know. I understand the sigil and everything else but the word thing.

At the very bottom with Tricks/tactics can a warforged even become a Dragonborn? it doesn't have an anatomy of that of a regular race such as human or elf or anything with flesh.

Also how does a dragonwrought kobold gain a +3 to all mental stats from the feat? Unless you guys are saying its aged into venerable then I can understand that way but doesn't also gain the physical negatives as well?

Is vow of poverty worth it if you can just DMM=>Persist everything. You don't really need any gear except that of nightsticks unless you decide to pump your CHA really high without using magical items.

With the feat extraordinary spell aim metamagic feat doesn't it alter the spells area to a specific square just like if you were to use a fireball but one creature in the fireball is unaffected.

for a monk's belt can you wear armor with it or does it just grant you the WIS bonus to AC with no draw back?

The called special property only calls the armor to you, it doesn't don the armor does it?

Where are these items? -> Tunic of Steady Spellcasting, Scepter of the Netherworld, Orb of Mental Renewal

What are the top 5 domains you would choose to use Knowledge Devotion with? I would choose there: Strength, protection, animal, knowledge, and travel

Is the Divine Magician really worth the trade off?

I know that domains vary on the build but what are the most common domains to choose from? I like Luck, Travel, Magic, Fate, Time (if Imp. Int is needed), Planning (for DMM->Persist builds), Pride, Undeath, and pleasure.

Claudius Maximus
2010-01-28, 11:18 PM
All these questions deal with the following link:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0

For the super holy warrior build do illumians get all the special word things or is there a limit to the number of words you know. I understand the sigil and everything else but the word thing.

Illumians get two sigils, so one word.

At the very bottom with Tricks/tactics can a warforged even become a Dragonborn? it doesn't have an anatomy of that of a regular race such as human or elf or anything with flesh.

I'm pretty sure Warforged can become Dragonborn with no problems.

Also how does a dragonwrought kobold gain a +3 to all mental stats from the feat? Unless you guys are saying its aged into venerable then I can understand that way but doesn't also gain the physical negatives as well?

Dragonborn Kobolds ignore aging penalties to physical stats.

Is vow of poverty worth it if you can just DMM=>Persist everything. You don't really need any gear except that of nightsticks unless you decide to pump your CHA really high without using magical items.

Vow of Poverty does not allow you to have a divine focus, so it's usually not a good idea for a cleric. VoP definitely won't let you have nightsticks either.

With the feat extraordinary spell aim metamagic feat doesn't it alter the spells area to a specific square just like if you were to use a fireball but one creature in the fireball is unaffected.

Extraordinary Spell Aim lets you designate a single square which will be completely unaffected by the area of effect of the spell in question. The AoE does not include that square.

for a monk's belt can you wear armor with it or does it just grant you the WIS bonus to AC with no draw back?

You lose the benefit if you wear armor, like a normal monk.

The called special property only calls the armor to you, it doesn't don the armor does it?

It dons it too. It appears adjacent to you if it can't fit on.

Where are these items? -> Tunic of Steady Spellcasting, Scepter of the Netherworld, Orb of Mental Renewal

I think they are: Magic Item Compendium, Libris Mortis, and Magic Item Compendium. Not quite sure though.

What are the top 5 domains you would choose to use Knowledge Devotion with? I would choose there: Strength, protection, animal, knowledge, and travel

Is the Divine Magician really worth the trade off?

I know that domains vary on the build but what are the most common domains to choose from? I like Luck, Travel, Magic, Fate, Time (if Imp. Int is needed), Planning (for DMM->Persist builds), Pride, Undeath, and pleasure.

I'll leave these to others, but those domains you listed are pretty good in my opinion. Spell and Celerity are decent too.

Akal Saris
2010-01-29, 12:54 AM
If you're going straight cleric without PrCs, then Fire or Water or any other rebuking domain with common monsters is also a solid choice. My last cleric had the pride and celerity domains, the one before that had planning and charm.

2xMachina
2010-01-29, 09:09 AM
I think Trickery is quite good. The domain spells are nice IIRC.

Os1ris09
2010-01-29, 10:32 AM
Illumians get two sigils, so one word.
Ok thank you for clarifying that.

pretty sure Warforged can become Dragonborn with no problems.
Is it RaW though?

Kobolds ignore aging penalties to physical stats.
But I didn't read anywhere from the feat, dragonwrought, that you ignore aging penalties and aren't kobold's treated like every other race in regards to aging penalties?

of Poverty does not allow you to have a divine focus, so it's usually not a good idea for a cleric. VoP definitely won't let you have nightsticks either.
I believe it would if it wasn't magical or anything like that. I mean you could theorectically have your shield have your dieties holy symbol painted on it and it says you can own regular gear, none masterwork or magical, along with other mundane items such as a quarterstaff.

Spell Aim lets you designate a single square which will be completely unaffected by the area of effect of the spell in question. The AoE does not include that square.
So can you theoretically have an AMF cast around you and just exclude you from it? The problem I see with this is that you can't move at all because the square you're in is the only one that is excluded from the effect.

lose the benefit if you wear armor, like a normal monk.
Ok so any armor what so ever and you loose the bonus. But you can wear bracers of armor or regular cloths with magic vestment correct?

dons it too. It appears adjacent to you if it can't fit on.
Ok thank you for making this clear.

think they are: Magic Item Compendium, Libris Mortis, and Magic Item Compendium. Not quite sure though.
Ok I will go look for these.

I'll leave these to others, but those domains you listed are pretty good in my opinion. Spell and Celerity are decent too.
ok I like the combo of Celerity and Travel. I like the idea of extra speed with freedom of movement. Are there any other great combos to use?

also with the knowledge devotion feat do you select a domain and it gives you a benefit or does it apply to all domains? I don't have complete champion so I have only PDF's and srd to go off of and I can't find it anywhere.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-29, 11:05 AM

Template stacking doesn't always make sense. Or feat composition. I don't recall dragonborn per se...(too many dragon options to remember), but you can definitely get draconic sides on damn near everything, anatomy or no.

It becomes venerable, but dragonwrought specifically exempts you from taking penalties due to aging.

No. VoP kinda sucks, frankly, unless you happen to want an exalted character anyway in an extremely low wealth campaign.

No armor can be comboed with this.

MiC has a solution for this. Gauntlets of arming or some such. All weapons and armor vanish into it, and pop out of it, on you. So, if you want to suddenly wear armor, it's generally more useful. It takes up an item slot, but its cheap, and really handy. Cheaper than adding properties to armor, IIRC.

However, many of the static priced armor benefits are totally worth it.

I've seen everything. Grab the SpC, and open to the back. It doesn't have every domain, but it has a crapton.

Nohwl
2010-01-29, 11:23 AM

yes, they can. it's even in that ask wizards thing. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20070112a

Os1ris09
2010-01-29, 04:20 PM
yes, they can. it's even in that ask wizards thing. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20070112a

So if I am understanding the link a warforged can become a dragonborn but would he lose the benefit of the Adamantine Plating feat that the warforged can earn?

Also where is the Knight of the Raven Class?

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 04:42 PM
I think this is all the Cleric Domains in 3.5 (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/domains.html), though there might be a couple missing that I don't know about.

EDIT: And upon review I do notice a couple missing, such as Thirst domain from Sandstorm. Ah well.

Douglas
2010-01-29, 04:45 PM
Also where is the Knight of the Raven Class?
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. In return for losing 1 level of casting, you get full BAB, Turn Undead if you didn't already have it (the Destroy Undead ACF in the same book means a cleric can use this to get two pools of "turning" to fuel DMM with), the ability to laugh at negative levels, and a pet raven that can do some minor semi-useful tricks for you.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-29, 05:15 PM
I think this is all the Cleric Domains in 3.5 (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/domains.html), though there might be a couple missing that I don't know about.
There are quite a few domains missing; I just assembled the ones from the most readily available sources. I've since acquired most of the remaining 3.5 books with domains, and eventually I'll add the rest -- work schedule permitting. :smallsmile:

Runestar
2010-01-29, 07:36 PM
So if I am understanding the link a warforged can become a dragonborn but would he lose the benefit of the Adamantine Plating feat that the warforged can earn?

He would lose his composite playing as it is a racial trait. He would retain his adamantine plating as it is a feat. Weird, huh? :smallbiggrin:

But I didn't read anywhere from the feat, dragonwrought, that you ignore aging penalties and aren't kobold's treated like every other race in regards to aging penalties?

Page 39 of races of dragon, under kobold aging effects.

I believe it would if it wasn't magical or anything like that.

VOP doesn't care if your possessions are magical or not, or how much they cost, only if they are on the list of approved items. It explicitly states what you are allowed to own.

For instance, you can have a heavy crossbow (50gp) but not a holy symbol (1gp). Stinks, eh? :smallconfused:

Os1ris09
2010-02-03, 12:07 AM
So I just died and my DM said I can do a gestalt character in my lvl 30 campaign (if you guys remember the one where I was trying to optimize a ranger TWF). I wonder then if this would be a good build to go with.

Gestalt Saint Dragonwrought kobold

Buy off +2 LVL adjustment

C-Cleric 5/ Bone Knight 10/ Ordained Champion 10// Ranger 5/ Master of Many forms 7/ Natures Warrior 1/ Warshaper 3/ Natures Warrior 2/ Comtemplative 1/ Divine Oracle 2/ Master of Many Forms 2/ Warshaper 2/ Natures Warrior 2/

For feats I would go in this order:

1: dragonwrought kobold (age to venerable for +3 to all mental stats)
3: Alertness
6: Endurance
9: Combat Reflex's
12: Frozen Wildshape
15: Defensive Sweep
18: Natural spell
21: Skill Focus [Knowledge religion]
24: Divine Metamagic: Extend
27: Persist Spell
BD: Extend Spell

Domains:
Travel, Planning, Undeath

For game flavour and because DM won't shoot it down right off the bat is that I am doing extend spell and DMM that because it "is training for Persist Spell" so when I go to "extend" standard party buffs for the day I can cheese that tactic instead of persist and because I am DMM extend I can "learn the technique to persist spells). The rest of the feats are for a Cryo-Hydra that I can use natural spell in. I think I can cast cleric spells with Natural spell.

I think with the class's I maintain the Bone Knight immunities even while wild shaped and that is a great bonus because when I go into cryo-hydra

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys :)