PDA

View Full Version : Bigby and Evard's Spell

Dvandemon
2010-01-28, 11:45 PM
I read that those two guys had multiple spells in the Player's Handbook II. Can anyone please tell me what they are and what they do?

Grumman
2010-01-28, 11:48 PM
Bigby has Bigby's Disrupting, Helpful, Tripping and Warding Hands and Bigby's Striking Fist. Evard has Evard's Menacing Tentacles.

FMArthur
2010-01-28, 11:56 PM
I was hoping this thread contained a spell that Bigby and Evard collaborated on. :smallfrown:

SethFahad
2010-01-28, 11:59 PM
I think it's stupid to give that kind of names in spells.
Utter dumb! :smallmad:

T.G. Oskar
2010-01-29, 12:03 AM
I know that this may seem a tad off-topic, but...

Isn't it hilarious that the mage Evard's specialization was specifically tentacle spells?

I mean, Bigby's definite specialty were force hands, but that's pretty natural: Mage Hand is a well-known cantrip (just not as much as Prestidigitation), and Bigby drove the power of Mage Hand to extremes.

But Evard...doesn't seem to work in anything else sans tentacles. I mean, Rary's spells aid wizards in more ways than one (Mnemonic Enhancer, for example; Arcane Conversion is another), and Mordenkainen found an arcane way to replicate Spiritual Weapon. Other magicians created spells of dwindling popularity: the Simbul and her Synostodweomer, the Arcane Spellsurge spells (which, IIRC, have a name of their own), Fimbulwinter... Heck, if I recall correctly, Horrid Wilting had the name of a wizard before it's conversion into 3.x.

Also, IIRC, either Complete Mage or something had a special location devoted to Bigby's hand spells. Might wanna watch it out, just in case.

Just to expand a bit on the general info. It's cool to know which mages built which spells.

SethFahad
2010-01-29, 12:27 AM

Isn't it hilarious that the mage Evard's specialization was specifically tentacle spells?

I think it is hilarious that these mages are well known (hence, they existed) in all campaign settings. They existed in so many different worlds, Faerun, Krynn, Eberron, Tellene... give me a break...

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-29, 12:37 AM
I think it is hilarious that these mages are well known (hence, they existed) in all campaign settings. They existed in so many different worlds, Faerun, Krynn, Eberron, Tellene... give me a break...

At least we know to ignore them...

Sometimes, they use the names to denote broken spells (MDJ, MMM). Oddly, they all start with "Mordenkainen".

faceroll
2010-01-29, 12:41 AM

I thought they got renamed in those settings? I know Kalamar (awful setting, btw) does it.

NeoVid
2010-01-29, 12:41 AM

They were given those names by the players who created the spells... who were running the characters Bigby and Mordenkainen at the time.

The fact that all the most game-busting spells were made by Mordenkainen just impresses me. I ended up having to create a Mage character who called himself Mordenkainen and had GM-plan-ruining spell called Disjunction.

T.G. Oskar
2010-01-29, 12:43 AM

Well...if the supposed explanation runs right, the names of the spells only apply on their native plane. Sometimes, the spells change name when adapted to all campaign settings. Evidently, Mordenkainen is a popular name on Greyhawk, quite probably on Sigil and perhaps a bit on Faerun since some deities are shared. However, Eberron definitely won't know Mordenkainen, and it'll rather know the spell as "Mage's Magnificent Mansion", "Mage's Faithful Hound", "Mage's Sword", and "Mage's Disjunction". That's partly why the Spell Compendium altered the names of so many spells, such as the Arcane Spellsurge pair; they are spells introduced to the rest of the worlds. I mean, look at Spell Compendium and ask if Synostodweomer is called "Simbul's" Synostodweomer.

Problem lies with the printed PHB spells and PHB II, which retain the idea of spells with names. I mean, by PHB II, Wizards of the Coast had pretty much dumped Greyhawk out of existence, even though the assumed default setting is Greyhawk.

So it's more of a defaulting problem than a lore problem. Gamers are a bit more familiar with Mordenkainen's Disjunction than with Mage's Disjunction, unless they use the SRD which has the converted spells. Same as how people are familiar with Horrid Wilting instead of the spell's full name (which, IIRC, is Azi Dahka's Horrid Wilting or something)

P.S.: Mordenkainen, IIRC, was old Mr. Gygax's character in Greyhawk. Or so the lore says.

Eldariel
2010-01-29, 12:44 AM
I thought they got renamed in those settings? I know Kalamar (awful setting, btw) does it.

This is correct, they're named as they are for the default 3.5 settings, Greyhawk. Other books refer to them without the inventors' names, hence "Disjunction", "Telepathic Bond", "Forceful Hand", "Black Tentacles", etc. in e.g. Forgotten Realms or Eberron.

satorian
2010-01-29, 12:45 AM
What, exactly, is wrong with having a sense of the history of the game? It's always Abu-Dhalsim's Horrid Wilting to me.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-29, 12:55 AM
P.S.: Mordenkainen, IIRC, was old Mr. Gygax's character in Greyhawk. Or so the lore says.

Read TVTropes' FR entry. What I can tell you off-hand is that Gygax didn't create Mordy.

arguskos
2010-01-29, 01:06 AM
Mordenkainen was a player, IIRC. As was Rary, Evard, Tenser, Otiluke, Bigby, and Otto. So was Robilard. They were all players of Gygax's who played in the Greyhawk setting before it was a real setting.

The only ones I'm unsure about are Robilard and ol' Mordy.

Also a good note: Elminster was a PC as well. :smallamused:

Further, Mordenkainen is not a deity (as someone above implied), just a pompous dude.

Lastly, yeah, they're renamed in most settings. However, in Faerun, they go by those names at times, since Realmspace and Greyspace trade spells and whatnot, so knowledge of Mordenkainen, Evard, Tenser, Bigby, etc has made it to Faerun. But, that's only if you go with the Spelljammer explanation of things. It's typically easier to just say the spells are renamed as per the SRD.

FMArthur
2010-01-29, 02:09 AM
I find the idea of certain wizards being famous interdimensionally to be quite believable, really.

Eldan
2010-01-29, 03:35 AM
Bigby at least makes sense. According to Planescape, he was a very prolific planewalker and founded a school for mages in Sigil. So many people could have heard of those spells.

Keld Denar
2010-01-29, 03:46 AM
Bigby was a mage on the Circle of 8. He was a big mover and pusher in the multiverse. Evard was a heinous witch of a necromancer who terrorized the Sheldomar Valley area in Oerth for a number of years before she was ultimately defeated (a couple of times, those crafty wizards).

The two would never ever EVER colaborate on a spell...evar.

I think its funny that even as a Necromancer, her most famous spell (Black Tenticles) is in the Conjouration school. Woooo inconsistancy!

Darrin
2010-01-29, 06:34 AM
I was hoping this thread contained a spell that Bigby and Evard collaborated on. :smallfrown:

Nope. Evard and Bigby kinda had a falling out after Bigby developed his "Bigby's Obscene Gesture" spell.

Evard countered with "Evard's Hentai Collection".

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 06:52 AM
Otiluke was always one of my favorites, though I think everyone has a soft spot for Bigby and Mordenkainen.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-29, 06:53 AM
That spot's on the couch, in the mansion.

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 08:05 AM
That spot's on the couch, in the mansion.

*party clinks wine glasses and stretches out in front of the plasma screen scrying orb*

hamlet
2010-01-29, 08:06 AM

Ok Huh?

Kalamar, to the best of my knowledge, does no renaming of spells at all.

And how do you figure it's an awful setting?

Kurald Galain
2010-01-29, 08:16 AM
I mean, Bigby's definite specialty were force hands, but that's pretty natural: Mage Hand is a well-known cantrip (just not as much as Prestidigitation), and Bigby drove the power of Mage Hand to extremes.
Actually, Mage Hand first appered in third edition, and Bigby stems from the first edition.

Anyway, those guys are planeswalkers, obviously. There are several published ways in which e.g. a Faerunian wizard might visit Krynn, or vice versa.

hamlet
2010-01-29, 08:20 AM
Actually, Mage Hand first appered in third edition, and Bigby stems from the first edition.

Anyway, those guys are planeswalkers, obviously. There are several published ways in which e.g. a Faerunian wizard might visit Krynn, or vice versa.

Technically . . . Bigby and his compatriots (including Rigby, Modenkainen, Tenser, and so on) were 0D&D characters. It wasn't until, I believe, 1st edition AD&D that their spells made it to the PHB, though.

And, another nitpick, they were Oerdian, not Fearunian.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Was reading Greyhawk stuff just yesterday.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-01-29, 08:33 AM
And, another nitpick, they were Oerdian, not Fearunian.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Was reading Greyhawk stuff just yesterday.

I belive he was explaining the fact that in older editions of Ad&d/D&d you could as a Wizard from Forgotten realms travel to Krynn Via planescape... Which was all connected. Not that they where in the greyhawk realm.

GolemsVoice
2010-01-29, 08:34 AM
I know that in the World of Warcraft, it's Ner'zhul's Black Tentacles and Medivh's Mnemonic Enhancer, so they didn't get there, at least.

hamlet
2010-01-29, 08:39 AM
I belive he was explaining the fact that in older editions of Ad&d/D&d you could as a Wizard from Forgotten realms travel to Krynn Via planescape... Which was all connected. Not that they where in the greyhawk realm.

I know what he was saying, I was just commenting on how it sounded as if he were saying that Bigby and his crew were from the Realms, which they were not.

Kurald Galain
2010-01-29, 08:44 AM
I know that in the World of Warcraft, it's Ner'zhul's Black Tentacles and Medivh's Mnemonic Enhancer, so they didn't get there, at least.
Or used pseudonyms.

As I recall, the Nameless One of Planescape: Torment claims one of those famous wizards as one of his older identities.

Beelzebub1111
2010-01-29, 08:45 AM
Otto...that fat bastard...

RagnaroksChosen
2010-01-29, 08:46 AM
I know what he was saying, I was just commenting on how it sounded as if he were saying that Bigby and his crew were from the Realms, which they were not.

lol ok

Beelzebub1111:

Ya he is... hes a rich bitch too lol

hamlet
2010-01-29, 08:52 AM
lol ok

What can I say? I'm a nerd!

GolemsVoice
2010-01-29, 08:55 AM
Evigby's Tentacles-with-Hands. They have all the tentacled nastiness, AND they can slap you across the face or hold a sword! That would be a spell I'd like to see.

hamlet
2010-01-29, 08:57 AM
Evigby's Naughty Tentacled Hands: Spell Description: "Oh my god! They were EVERYWEHRE!!!!"

Ellye
2010-01-29, 09:42 AM
Evard was a heinous witch of a necromancer who terrorized the Sheldomar Valley area in Oerth for a number of years before she was ultimately defeated (a couple of times, those crafty wizards).Evard is male, by the way.

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 10:33 AM
Evigby's Tentacles-with-Hands. They have all the tentacled nastiness, AND they can slap you across the face or hold a sword! That would be a spell I'd like to see.

Tentacles with hands?

Am I the only one who thought of this:

http://media.animegalleries.net/albums/userpics/45585/ElfenLiedMariko_0074.JPG

Starbuck_II
2010-01-29, 10:43 AM
So it is Evard's black tenacles + slapping damage every round?

5th level spell?

Project_Mayhem
2010-01-29, 10:49 AM
As I recall, the Nameless One of Planescape: Torment claims one of those famous wizards as one of his older identities.

Ooh, is that mentioned in game, or in the novel? Do we know which wizard?

Kurald Galain
2010-01-29, 10:52 AM
Ooh, is that mentioned in game, or in the novel? Do we know which wizard?

An inscription: So they said - You have been divided. You are one of many men. You bear many names, and each has left their scars on your flesh:

Lost One
Immortal One
Incarnations End
Man of a Thousand Deaths
The One Doomed To Life
Restless One
One Of Many
The One Whom Life Holds Prisoner
The Bringer of Shadows
The Wounded One
Misery Bringer
Bigby
Hero

I grow weary.

Project_Mayhem
2010-01-29, 10:53 AM
An inscription: So they said - You have been divided. You are one of many men. You bear many names, and each has left their scars on your flesh:

Lost One
Immortal One
Incarnations End
Man of a Thousand Deaths
The One Doomed To Life
Restless One
One Of Many
The Bringer of Shadows
The Wounded One
Misery Bringer
Bigby
Hero

I grow weary.

Awesome. I have to play that again.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-29, 10:53 AM
Tentacles with hands?

Am I the only one who thought of this:

http://media.animegalleries.net/albums/userpics/45585/ElfenLiedMariko_0074.JPG

I thought to Negima's version. Your version is SFW, mine involves Ken Akamatsu.

Evard
2010-01-29, 10:54 AM
working together... hmmm

grasping tentacles.... tentacles that have hands on the ends that can grapple or attack with any weapon they pick up? hmmm

Cyrion
2010-01-29, 11:27 AM
If namesake wizards are collaborating, I'd be scared of Ottivard's Telekinetic Tentacles. I don't know what they do, but it can't be good for you.

Or for sheer gibbering madness, there's always Evarsha's Hideous Laughing Tentacles. Some conjurations just shouldn't be given a sense of humor...

Dvandemon
2010-01-29, 11:34 AM

But Evard...doesn't seem to work in anything else sans tentacles. I mean, Rary's spells aid wizards in more ways than one (Mnemonic Enhancer, for example; Arcane Conversion is another), and Mordenkainen found an arcane way to replicate Spiritual Weapon. Other magicians created spells of dwindling popularity: the Simbul and her Synostodweomer, the Arcane Spellsurge spells (which, IIRC, have a name of their own), Fimbulwinter... Heck, if I recall correctly, Horrid Wilting had the name of a wizard before it's conversion into 3.x.

Also, IIRC, either Complete Mage or something had a special location devoted to Bigby's hand spells. Might wanna watch it out, just in case.

Just to expand a bit on the general info. It's cool to know which mages built which spells.
:smallsigh:Unfortunately you started and entire topic that should be moved to another thread...Then again, I should have worded the title better:smallredface:

Bigby has Bigby's Disrupting, Helpful, Tripping and Warding Hands and Bigby's Striking Fist. Evard has Evard's Menacing Tentacles.
I wanted to now what these spells do

pasko77
2010-01-29, 11:47 AM
So it is Evard's black tenacles + slapping damage every round?

5th level spell?

I always thought slapping damage was included in black tentacles. You know, hentai wise.

shadow_archmagi
2010-01-29, 12:04 PM
In dwarf fortress, Tentacle Demons deal piercing damage.

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 12:05 PM
I thought to Negima's version. Your version is SFW, mine involves Ken Akamatsu.

Elfen Lied, SFW? :smalleek:

You don't know how many pictures I went through before finding a "clean" one!

Blackfang108
2010-01-29, 12:06 PM

PHB II is PROTECTED content. We can't tell you, except in VERY general terms. Go to Crystalkeep.com for more info.

Kurald Galain
2010-01-29, 12:09 PM
In spite of all laws against protected content, you can probably guess what "Bigby's Striking Fist" does. Here's a hint: it conjures a foot that tapdances on someone's head.

Deth Muncher
2010-01-29, 12:20 PM
In spite of all laws against protected content, you can probably guess what "Bigby's Striking Fist" does. Here's a hint: it conjures a foot that tapdances on someone's head.

*sniff* Smell that?

Smells like...

sarcasm.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-29, 12:22 PM
Elfen Lied, SFW? :smalleek:

You don't know how many pictures I went through before finding a "clean" one!

The clothes are on, there's no penetration, so SFW. In Negima, you can consider yourself lucky if they leave your underwear intact.

Zaydos
2010-01-29, 12:33 PM
If namesake wizards are collaborating, I'd be scared of Ottivard's Telekinetic Tentacles. I don't know what they do, but it can't be good for you.

Or for sheer gibbering madness, there's always Evarsha's Hideous Laughing Tentacles. Some conjurations just shouldn't be given a sense of humor...

I already am playing a conjurer whose stated goals include researching a Laughing Tentacles spell. So I hope no one informs Evard and Tasha... they might want revenge :smallbiggrin:

Tiktakkat
2010-01-29, 01:52 PM
Read TVTropes' FR entry. What I can tell you off-hand is that Gygax didn't create Mordy.

What does that entry have to do with anything?
I think whoever wrote that confused the existence of those articles for the origins of those characters.

Mordenkainen was in fact one of Gary Gygax's player characters.
So was Bigby.
So were a few other notable characters of the Greyhawk setting, while others were PCs of other original players, NPCs attached to various characters, or a few named as homages to old friends of Gary Gygax.

There is some question as to whether all of the spells bearing the names of such PCs were actually created and used by those PCs during the game. This is because, based on certain statements by those original players, it is very questionable as to whether the characters ever got much above 12th level or so. It is possible, but they all kept their character sheets very secret, so it is a bit of a mystery.

The reason the names of those specific characters are stripped from the spells in the SRD is not to make them generic for use in any setting, but because of IP issues. Those names are considered specific product identity, primarily of the Greyhawk setting, but extended to D&D in general. So for the same reason none of the deity names in the Player's Handbook are available for general use, those names are not available for use with the spells.

Keld Denar
2010-01-29, 02:02 PM
Evard is male, by the way.

I played Living Greyhawk in Bissel (Mass, Conn, RI), and all of the adventure modules all called Evard out as a female. I broused through Canonfire.com and wikipedia turns up nothing citing this.

EDIT: Upon talking to my friend who did a lot of writing for the Bissel region, it turns out that the Evard that was referenced was Evard's niece, who went under his guise to invoke the terror that Evard had sewn across the region before his imprisonment by Iuz. My bad.

Also, the origional Evard was a Conjourer, not a Necromancer. That makes more sense. Apparently he's stated out in an older Dragon Mag.

hamishspence
2010-01-29, 02:54 PM
It wasn't till quite late in 3.5, that it was clarified who "Tasha" of Tasha's Hideous Laughter really was- in Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk.

Tiktakkat
2010-01-29, 06:13 PM
It wasn't till quite late in 3.5, that it was clarified who "Tasha" of Tasha's Hideous Laughter really was- in Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk.

That is actually just a late era retcon.

The "real" Tasha of the Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter, as the story goes, is an otherwise unindentified little girl who wrote a letter, in crayon, to Gary Gygax with the suggestion for the spell.

Gotta love those obscure D&D stories.

Oh, with a minor bit of searching:
Melf = PC of Luke Gygax (According to story, he wrote "M(ale) Elf" in the character name section of his sheet one time.)
Leomund = PC/alter ego of Len Lakofka
Evard and Otiluke = NPCs of Greyhawk
Mordenkainen, Bigby and Riggby = PCs of Gary Gygax (Bigby and Riggby date from an era when Gary was, according to story, going through characters at an advanced rate, and at a loss for names was just using "-igby" with a different initial consonant.)
Zagig/Zagyg/Gaxx/several other variations = Variations on the the name "Gygax", and were all to some degree projections of Gary Gygax into the game
Robilar = PC of Rob Kuntz
Serten and Tenser = PCs of Ernie Gygax (As well as being anagrams of his full name, Ernest.)

As a side note, anagrams, acronyms, puns, and other wordplay features very prominently in a lot of location and person names in Greyhawk. Keoghtom (of the ointment) and Heward of the Mystical (musical) Organ, are examples of this. Even Vecna is an anagram of Vance, as in Jack Vance, who wrote the fiction that was used as the basis of the Vancian Magic System.

AslanCross
2010-01-29, 06:37 PM
Nope. Evard and Bigby kinda had a falling out after Bigby developed his "Bigby's Obscene Gesture" spell.

Evard countered with "Evard's Hentai Collection".

I thought that was Bigby's Expressive Digit, as used by Vaarsuvius.

randomhero00
2010-01-29, 06:49 PM
Evard was clearly into anime tentacle rape ;D

Arakune
2010-01-29, 07:16 PM
Evard was clearly into anime tentacle rape ;D

He was doing it before it was popular.

John Campbell
2010-01-29, 08:17 PM

Somewhere in my collection of ancient Dragon magazines is the AD&D spell description for Bigby's impudent digit.

Set
2010-01-29, 08:39 PM
I vaguely recall Aprils Fools spell called Figby's Fondling Fingers and Figby's Groping Paw...

Kalamar, to the best of my knowledge, does no renaming of spells at all.

p 147 of the KoK Player's Guide has a list of the changes;

The Bigby spells are renamed after Koval, a belligerent Fhokki chieften who liked his spells big and powerful, for instance.

Mordenkainen's Sword would be Donara's Sword, Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer would be Shasseril's Mnemonic Enhancer, etc.

And I'm sure he's entitled to his opinion that it's an awful setting. I feel the same way about that pretentious Planescape stuff.

deuxhero
2010-01-29, 08:41 PM

That's easy, they are all Time Lords Planewalkers.

Grommen
2010-01-29, 09:08 PM

Must have been a variation cause we too used Bigby's Obscene Gesture, but we made a second level spell that added Verbal components to it as well.

I also struck a PC with a 5th level spell I called "Bigby's Phas-diablocial Five Iron". Yep just a big pair of disembodied hands gripping a long metal shaft with a head on the end. It screamed "Four!!!!" and it struck player after player and ejected from the presence of I believe one of the 8's home. Was a few years back to I can't even tell you why we were checking out one of the circle of 8's houses, but we were.

Honestly they are a part of gaming history and regardless of how or why they ended up in each world they need to be kept as part of it. It's kinda like Klenix, or Kool-aid. Their name brands but they are so closely associated with their product that people refer to everyone's product by the same name.

Xenogears
2010-01-29, 09:13 PM
Honestly they are a part of gaming history and regardless of how or why they ended up in each world they need to be kept as part of it. It's kinda like Klenix, or Kool-aid. Their name brands but they are so closely associated with their product that people refer to everyone's product by the same name.

OR JELL-O!!!

You know how many people have no idea WTF I am talking about when I tell them that Jell-O is the brand only?

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-29, 09:27 PM
Wait, what's the generic name for Kool-Aid? Sugar drink? Is Kool-Aid even used to describe things besides Kool-Aid?

I'm weird, but I see tissue/bandage/gelatin used fairly often.

randomhero00
2010-01-29, 09:35 PM
Wait, what's the generic name for Kool-Aid? Sugar drink? Is Kool-Aid even used to describe things besides Kool-Aid?

I'm weird, but I see tissue/bandage/gelatin used fairly often.

Punch?

10charsss

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-29, 10:03 PM

I'm weird, but I see tissue/bandage/gelatin used fairly often.Coke. Not the drug, but the brown cola. It's used to describe everything from Sprite to Dr Pepper in the South. I was once yelled at by a waitress for saying 'soda'.

arguskos
2010-01-29, 10:16 PM
Coke. Not the drug, but the brown cola. It's used to describe everything from Sprite to Dr Pepper in the South. I was once yelled at by a waitress for saying 'soda'.
Ugh, I hate that damn trend. If someone asks me for a coke, you're getting a Coca-Cola dammit, regardless of what you wanted, cause that's what you asked for. :smallsigh: My old gf was terrible about that.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-30, 12:21 AM
Coke. Not the drug, but the brown cola. It's used to describe everything from Sprite to Dr Pepper in the South. I was once yelled at by a waitress for saying 'soda'.

Up north, it's "pop".

Fiery Diamond
2010-01-30, 03:10 AM
Of course, I just tick everyone off by saying "soft drink" to spite both the northerners AND the southerners.

I'm also seriously considering claiming, "Nope, don't have any" the next time I'm asked for a Kleenex when I happen to have some Puffs brand tissues handy. The fact that people call facial tissues Kleenex really bugs me, especially since the Kleenex brand is far worse than Puffs.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-30, 03:37 AM
Of course, I just tick everyone off by saying "soft drink" to spite both the northerners AND the southerners.

I'm also seriously considering claiming, "Nope, don't have any" the next time I'm asked for a Kleenex when I happen to have some Puffs brand tissues handy. The fact that people call facial tissues Kleenex really bugs me, especially since the Kleenex brand is far worse than Puffs.

So, out of the myriad social issues.... world hunger, economic downturn, various phishing/scamming schemes, environmental corruption, and the like...

"kleenex" is the thing that really irks you?

My opinion? A rose by any other name, and all.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-30, 09:51 AM
So, out of the myriad social issues.... world hunger, economic downturn, various phishing/scamming schemes, environmental corruption, and the like...

"kleenex" is the thing that really irks you?

My opinion? A rose by any other name, and all.

I get that way when people misspell my name or screenname, or mistake my work for someone else'. I'm a writer, so that last part really gets to me.

It stems from my IRL name and childhood. I have a very common name with a different spelling than normal, and no one (not even teachers) could get it right.

Dvandemon
2010-01-30, 04:21 PM
It stems from my IRL name and childhood. I have a very common name with a different spelling than normal, and no one (not even teachers) could get it right.
Someday people will get it right I'm sure of it:smallsmile:

SethFahad
2010-02-01, 12:09 AM
Ok, talking about who is who... who was Tasha???

And what's so funny about her anyway? Was she a comedian? A Joker? A courts Fool? :smalltongue:

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-02-01, 12:29 AM

And what's so funny about her anyway? Was she a comedian? A Joker? A courts Fool? :smalltongue:Actually, she was a Monk with maxed UMD and a good cha score. :smalltongue:

Optimystik
2010-02-01, 12:45 AM

And what's so funny about her anyway? Was she a comedian? A Joker? A courts Fool? :smalltongue:

I believe this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iggwilv) is Tasha.

PhoenixRivers
2010-02-01, 06:00 AM

Eh. Would seem to me that if it's gonna happen often, might as well not let it bother ya. Then, often it's the repeated issues that irk people.

Yuki Akuma
2010-02-01, 06:19 AM

Lost One
Immortal One
Incarnations End
Man of a Thousand Deaths
The One Doomed To Life
Restless One
One Of Many
The Bringer of Shadows
The Wounded One
Misery Bringer
Bigby
Hero

I grow weary.

Remember, the Paranoid Incarnation changed a lot of those inscriptions. That could easily be a lie.

dsmiles
2010-02-01, 07:37 AM
I believe this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iggwilv) is Tasha.

You are correct, sir. (Having played Greyhawk for mumblemumble years.)

Kurald Galain
2010-02-01, 08:00 AM
Remember, the Paranoid Incarnation changed a lot of those inscriptions. That could easily be a lie.

Yes. Or, even funnier, even if some incarnation really did call himself "Bigby" at some point, that doesn't mean that he actually was the original and famous Bigby.

Optimystik
2010-02-01, 08:00 AM
You are correct, sir. (Having played Greyhawk for mumblemumble years.)

Psst. Your grognard is showing. :smallwink:

dsmiles
2010-02-01, 08:53 AM
Psst. Your grognard is showing. :smallwink:

GET OFF MY LAWN!!! Dern kids these days with their dice-rolling and hippity-hop music!

:smallbiggrin:

hamlet
2010-02-01, 10:02 AM
p 147 of the KoK Player's Guide has a list of the changes;

The Bigby spells are renamed after Koval, a belligerent Fhokki chieften who liked his spells big and powerful, for instance.

Mordenkainen's Sword would be Donara's Sword, Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer would be Shasseril's Mnemonic Enhancer, etc.

Huh. I haven't read the PG in a long time, so I must have forgotten. Doesn't appear in the new PGttSL best as I can tell, though.

Ah well, I stand corrected.

And I'm sure he's entitled to his opinion that it's an awful setting. I feel the same way about that pretentious Planescape stuff.

Not saying he's not entitled to his opinion. I've just not heard much in the way of Kalamar hate . . . well . . . ever. Except for the occasional person compaining about pronunciation difficulties.

THE_BIG_CHEESE
2010-02-01, 10:14 AM
In 2e for Forgotten Realms, there was a book about the netherese empire (part of a box set if I remember correctly) that in it gave a name of the mage who discovered it for virtually all the basic 2e spells, and said that they had been used so often since then (and it had been so long) that people just no longer referred to the name of the wizard.

Thurbane
2010-02-01, 09:10 PM
Have you no sense of tradition? :smallbiggrin:

It's OK, the SRD already "generic-ized" these spell for you! :smalltongue: