PDA

View Full Version : Learning Stuff via Sense Motive? [3.5]

Fortuna
2010-01-28, 11:53 PM
So I was wondering something. A character of mine has an insane Sense Motive modifier, although it is short of the epic uses, and I wanted to know if this is a viable use of it. Say your character is in a conversation with someone he wants to learn something from, and he drops a name or two. Can you pick up, from body language and facial expression, whether the other person has heard the name and roughly what it means to them?

Mushroom Ninja
2010-01-28, 11:56 PM
So I was wondering something. A character of mine has an insane Sense Motive modifier, although it is short of the epic uses, and I wanted to know if this is a viable use of it. Say your character is in a conversation with someone he wants to learn something from, and he drops a name or two. Can you pick up, from body language and facial expression, whether the other person has heard the name and roughly what it means to them?

Although I haven't found any rules about that yet, it seems reasonable enough to me.

Xzeno
2010-01-28, 11:57 PM
Sure. As a DM, if you asked if you could do that, I would congratulate you on good use of the skill.

As for the DC, I can tell from body language if someone has heard a name and I'm way below epic. With an "insane" modifier, you should be able to do it easily.

Fortuna
2010-01-29, 12:00 AM
Actually, I don't know that it's that insane. Is +39 at level 14 good? And also, wouldn't it be some kind of opposed check? And what kind of information can I get if I succeed really well?

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-29, 12:26 AM
Actually, I don't know that it's that insane. Is +39 at level 14 good? And also, wouldn't it be some kind of opposed check? And what kind of information can I get if I succeed really well?

Fairly good. DC 50 on an 11+. I'm guessing custom magic items or Legacy Item.

Xzeno
2010-01-29, 12:27 AM

I have no (real life) experience with people actively trying to hide motives. For that, I think the opposed check (sense motive vs. bluff) is a good idea.

For a great success, I would say that if you beat the DC by 5 or more, you know what emotion this name invokes in the person (anger, fear, happiness, lust). That's all I can think of. I hope it helps.

Fortuna
2010-01-29, 03:23 AM
Fairly good. DC 50 on an 11+. I'm guessing custom magic items or Legacy Item.

No, actually. +8 Wis mod +17 ranks +14 Truth domain. Nothing custom about it.

OK, I'll run that by my DM.

Harperfan7
2010-01-29, 04:48 AM
If, in a conversation, you dropped a name, they would probably react with facial expressions or body language, unless they deliberately attempt to not show anything, which would be a bluff check.

The first is probably a set DC modified by their wisdom mod, the second is an opposed check, but I can't come up with any good DC modifiers.

Tehnar
2010-01-29, 07:27 AM
A DC 20 Sense Motive check gives you a hunch to a general social situation you are in.

As a DM I would expand that, so if you beat the DC by 5 or 10 you get more information. A + 39 modifier is truly epic, and you should have no problem determining emotional states of any NPC you come across.

hewhosaysfish
2010-01-29, 07:33 AM
Be careful though: if they make their Sense Motive check against you, they might realise that your deliberately dropping names to fish for information. How's your Bluff score?