PDA

View Full Version : (4e) Archer Warlord Execerpt

Gralamin
2010-01-29, 12:10 AM
Free Article up (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20100129)
Note an error: The last power is a daily

I like the look of it.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-01-29, 12:20 AM
Mmmmm... sweet. I'm seeing an all Archer Ranger and Archer Warlord party kiting like crazy. Sweet!:smallbiggrin:

Asbestos
2010-01-29, 12:25 AM
I'm wondering about a couple of things...

1. Why is it Strength based?
a. Is this just a way to ensure that we don't have High-AC leaders running around 10 squares away from the battle and plinking things?
b. Is this just because all the other Warlords have Str as a primary stat and all classes now only have a single primary stat? (Sorry Paladin, Cleric, Warlock, and Ranger!)

2. Why is it Int OR Wis based for the secondary? To open up Warlord to more races? (Shifters?) For variety? To MC into Ranger/Cleric/Fighter easier?

3. Is 'Risky Shot' that 'risky' since if you take Archer Captain you can attack from 20 squares away without a penalty?

Mmmmm... sweet. I'm seeing an all Archer Ranger and Archer Warlord party kiting like crazy. Sweet!:smallbiggrin:

And every one of them could be some variant of Shifter too!

Mushroom Ninja
2010-01-29, 12:31 AM
I'm wondering about a couple of things...

a. Is this just a way to ensure that we don't have High-AC leaders running around 10 squares away from the battle and plinking things?
b. Is this just because all the other Warlords have Str as a primary stat and all classes now only have a single primary stat? (Sorry Paladin, Cleric, Warlock, and Ranger!)

More likely (b) than (a). You'll already have a huge AC because of your INT as a secondary stat.

Swordgleam
2010-01-29, 12:32 AM
Those at-wills both look absurdly good. If your party has any kind of teamwork at all, Paint the Bulls-Eye will demolish things.

Kylarra
2010-01-29, 12:37 AM
Those at-wills both look absurdly good. If your party has any kind of teamwork at all, Paint the Bulls-Eye will demolish things.Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I mean, wotc just errata'd thunderpillar for breaking their DPR calculations, this isn't quite as good, but still very nasty.

Asbestos
2010-01-29, 12:42 AM
More likely (b) than (a). You'll already have a huge AC because of your INT as a secondary stat.

But you could go with WIS as a secondary...

Inyssius Tor
2010-01-29, 12:45 AM
b. Is this just because all the other Warlords have Str as a primary stat ...

Well, heavy thrown weapons look pretty good for warlords now, and heavy thrown weapons have always been Strength-based. But yes, I think this is it. Not so much that everyone should have just one primary stat (though I'm not saying they shouldn't), but that every other warlord ability, power, path feature, etc., is based on Strength. A Dex-based warlord would simply suck, and would drastically reduce the percentage of options available to anything other than a completely ranged warlord.

That is, you go Dex-based instead of Strength-based, you have no use for any of the powers printed before MP2, or half of the powers printed in MP2. You go Strength-based instead of Dex-based, you have no use for any of these these new powers.

That would not be cool at all.

3. Is 'Risky Shot' that 'risky' since if you take Archer Captain you can attack from 20 squares away without a penalty?

If you don't want to use your Inspiring Word or utility powers, yes.

Swordgleam
2010-01-29, 12:49 AM
every other warlord ability, power, path feature, etc., is based on Strength.

Which raises an interesting point - this set of powers is now ideal for any strength-based character who wants to pick up some ranged powers through multiclassing or hybrid. Because before now, as far as I know, there were no str-based ranged powers.

I wonder if that will be an unintended consequence, or if they're aware and aren't worried about it?

Voice of Reason
2010-01-29, 12:57 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I mean, wotc just errata'd thunderpillar for breaking their DPR calculations, this isn't quite as good, but still very nasty.

If your party can run two leaders, combining Paint the Bullseye with the Artificer's Magic Weapon can lead to massive amounts of bonus damage. A great choice for half-elf dilettantes.

Inyssius Tor
2010-01-29, 01:09 AM
If your party can run two leaders, combining Paint the Bullseye with the Artificer's Magic Weapon can lead to massive amounts of bonus damage. A great choice for half-elf dilettantes.

Nope: they're both power bonuses.

(See November's errata.)

Mando Knight
2010-01-29, 01:24 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I mean, wotc just errata'd thunderpillar for breaking their DPR calculations, this isn't quite as good, but still very nasty.

The Power bonus to damage balances it a little. Kinda. There are other sources of Power bonuses to damage that are somewhat common, so they explicitly won't stack. Besides, the Warlord's entire schtick is to turn his allies' every move into some kind of overpowering assault...

Tengu_temp
2010-01-29, 01:45 AM
Looks very promising. A perfect variant for the Smart Guy who stays behind the line and conjures up plans.

Break
2010-01-29, 01:57 AM
I like it. I've had a warlord concept brewing in my head for a little while anyway, and switching it to this shouldn't be too difficult. No Hail of Steel shenanigans is going to hurt, though.

Siegel
2010-01-29, 07:17 AM
So the party is now :

Bow Ranger
X-Bow Rouge
Bowlord
Seeker
Eagle Shaman

?

Inyssius Tor
2010-01-29, 07:18 AM
So the party is now :

Bow Ranger
X-Bow Rouge
Bowlord
Seeker
Eagle Shaman

?

Don't forget the Prescient Bard, but yes.

Duos Greanleef
2010-01-29, 09:14 AM
So the party is now :
Bow Ranger
X-Bow Rouge
Bowlord
Seeker
Eagle Shaman
?

Best.
Party.
Ever.

Siegel
2010-01-29, 09:44 AM

3 leaders ?

Blackdrop
2010-01-29, 08:24 PM
4 if we count an artificer using their weapons powers with a ranged weapon.

Kylarra
2010-01-29, 09:01 PM
5 if you're in paragon and playing a elf cleric...

Starbuck_II
2010-01-29, 10:01 PM
Well, that party would match the picture.

Shardan
2010-01-29, 11:11 PM
Actually, my first thought is long spear or great spear. heavy thrown. if its magical it will return automatically and you are set for range, reach, and close and a plethera of options

Inyssius Tor
2010-01-29, 11:26 PM
Actually, my first thought is long spear or great spear. heavy thrown. if its magical it will return automatically and you are set for range, reach, and close and a plethera of options

... yeah, except longspears and greatspears aren't thrown weapons, heavy or otherwise.

Mando Knight
2010-01-29, 11:31 PM
There's enchantments that make them heavy thrown.

Asbestos
2010-01-29, 11:52 PM
If you don't want to use your Inspiring Word or utility powers, yes.

That's why you have the Sniper Party (as already posted above) and everyone in the party just grabs some mounts and kites everything to death from 100ft.

Rockphed
2010-01-30, 12:16 AM
If I ever play a warlord(which is looking unlikely at the moment :smallfrown: ), I will play the party cook who offers food to get people to kill what he wants killed. This was inspired by the "paint the bullseye" power. Don't ask how.

Duos Greanleef
2010-01-30, 09:52 AM
If I ever play a warlord(which is looking unlikely at the moment :smallfrown: ), I will play the party cook who offers food to get people to kill what he wants killed. This was inspired by the "paint the bullseye" power. Don't ask how.

You sir, have a win for the above.