PDA

View Full Version : increasing life span

awa
2010-01-29, 01:46 AM
I have a nezumi charecter who would likely attempt to increase his life span if possible. Becoming an undead or constructs is not appealing to him and its an active charecter looking to stave off death, so abbilities that need to be taken at level 1 are no good.

So how can this nezumi hope to live more then 40 years

herrhauptmann
2010-01-29, 01:48 AM
There's an epic feat that increases lifespan by a percentage. (Might just increase your time in the venerable category by 50%) I believe it can be taken multiple times.

What book is the Nezumi in?

awa
2010-01-29, 01:49 AM
oriental adventures

Greymane
2010-01-29, 02:44 AM
Well, there's an Epic Spell in Magic of Faerun Lost Empires of Faerun that does just that, I believe. Iolaum's Longevity or something like that.

Note: It needs to kill people to work, so unless you're evil, make enemies with a marauding orc band or something. I think that's what the Netherese Wizards did in order to live for so long.

Grumman
2010-01-29, 03:10 AM
What class are you?

If you're a rogue, there's a PrC in one of the Eberron books that lets you kill people to stave off your own death. If you're a monk, Cloud Anchorite from Frostburn makes you immortal.

Dhavaer
2010-01-29, 03:14 AM
Ruathar, from Races of the Wild, increases each of your age categories by 50%.

Tokiko Mima
2010-01-29, 03:54 AM
If you don't mind casting one evil necromancy spell a century and are willing to have someone on hand to expend several wands of restoration, there's a spell you can use to make yourself any arbitrary number of years younger.

Just wait for the night of a full moon, capture someone at random (or pay a volunteer!) and cast Steal Life (8th level, BoVD) and maintain concentration on the spell the entire night. Have an assistant that can use the wands when necessary. It's important that the target stay alive for the spell because if they die you have to recast it, so ironically nonlethal is a better option for this evil spell.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-29, 03:58 AM
If you don't mind casting one evil necromancy spell a century and are willing to have someone on hand to expend several wands of restoration, there's a spell you can use to make yourself any arbitrary number of years younger.

Just wait for the night of a full moon, capture someone at random (or pay a volunteer!) and cast Steal Life (8th level, BoVD) and maintain concentration on the spell the entire night. Have an assistant that can use the wands when necessary. It's important that the target stay alive for the spell because if they die you have to recast it, so ironically nonlethal is a better option for this evil spell.

Do it to someone that's bound Naberius?

Tokiko Mima
2010-01-29, 04:15 AM
Do it to someone that's bound Naberius?

Sadly, won't work on account of it being ability drain, not ability damage. :smallfrown:

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-29, 04:28 AM
Sadly, won't work on account of it being ability drain, not ability damage. :smallfrown:

I can't remember if a Strongheart vest provides DR to drain.

Regardless, it's likely better to do it as a ritual, wherein other clerics cast the restorations.

Heck, if you can Gate in a solar, and your service you request is "heal this man tonight so he doesn't die"

It'd be funny.

Tokiko Mima
2010-01-29, 04:46 AM
I can't remember if a Strongheart vest provides DR to drain.

I think it does if you bind it to your heart chakra. The normal soulbind only prevents ability damage, though.

Regardless, it's likely better to do it as a ritual, wherein other clerics cast the restorations.

Heck, if you can Gate in a solar, and your service you request is "heal this man tonight so he doesn't die"

It'd be funny.

I know! I love the irony of using a spell that's supposed to be the blackest evil in a nice, nonlethal way. That you are actually being more effective than you would going out and blowing all your 8th level slots killing people the way you're supposed to use the spell is a nice bonus. I also like how you manage to involve an angel, too. Maybe the spellcaster could use an orphan from a local orphanage as the spells target, and in return become the establishment's patron.

It could be the nicest BoVD spell, ever! :smalltongue:

Soranar
2010-01-29, 05:35 AM
be a level 20 monk, you stop aging altogether

a level 15 druid stops the problems from aging but you still have a time limit

a wish spell or a magic item can probably do it if DM allowed

several races don't age and you can gain their type through PrCs, although if you don't allow constructs and undead that seriously limits your choices

a true dragon is technically alive until killed (dragonwrought kobold)

unre9istered
2010-01-29, 08:26 AM
Find some prestige class that makes you an outsider.

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 08:29 AM
If you don't want to be Undead, how about Deathless? It's pretty much the same, only with positive energy instead of negative energy.

Kislath
2010-01-29, 10:38 AM
Do they still make potions of longevity these days?

Tokiko Mima
2010-01-29, 10:54 AM

But then you're stuck with 20 levels of monk for all eternity. When you look at it as the alternative, isn't death preferable? :smallbiggrin:

Lysander
2010-01-29, 10:58 AM
You can live forever thanks to this epic feat. The problem is you have to keep wasting epic feats on it that provide no benefit after you age some more.

Extended Life Span [Epic]
Benefit

Add one-half the maximum result of your race’s maximum age modifier to your normal middle age, old, and venerable age categories. Calculate your maximum age using the new venerable number. This feat can’t lower your current age category.
Special

You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

He could also go to the astral plane and live forever thanks to its timeless trait. But he could never leave

Or he could make his natural life span last longer by freezing himself as needed with a spell like Flesh to Stone or Temporal Stasis. It'd delay his death if not actually let him live more subjective time.

Or reincarnate into an elf.

awa
2010-01-29, 11:31 AM
its a non evil charecter who's decided mid way through his career to look into ways to increase his life span he dosent want to be an undead or construct because he wants to be able to stuff involved with being alive if he can still do that while being deathless that may be something to look into further otherwise probably not.

His current classes are totemist 2 ranger 3 umberal disciple 1 (will eventually be 3) which is as far a ive thought.

His species has a maximum age of 40

ScIaDrd
2010-01-29, 12:46 PM
I just checked the SRD an a monk still dies, even if he is level 17 and gets Perfec tbody, so tough luck here.

Upon attaining 17th level, a(...). Bonuses still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when her time is up.

bosssmiley
2010-01-29, 01:00 PM

Well played. :smallamused:

There was that (10th level?) spell from "Dark Sun: Dragon Kings" that granted you an extra seven-and-seventy years of life, and Steal Life in the same volume...

Telonius
2010-01-29, 01:16 PM
EDIT: Nevermind, didn't see the bit about constructs.

mostlyharmful
2010-01-29, 04:54 PM
outsider, elemental or fey types give immortallity depending on DM.

Being unaging doesn't seem like an overpowered use of a Wish spell, I'd let it work fine but YMMV.

The Waterdeep book's also got a funky level 9 that stops you aging for your casting mod days for everyone you kill with it.

Twilight Jack
2010-01-29, 05:10 PM
If he's an arcane caster, the Worm that Walks is an aberration, not undead. Lovecraftian fun for the whole family!

Claudius Maximus
2010-01-29, 05:14 PM
a true dragon is technically alive until killed (dragonwrought kobold)

This is not true, as Dragonwrought Kobolds have a maximum age. The ten basic true dragons are given maximum ages in Draconomicon.

Glimbur
2010-01-29, 05:16 PM
its a non evil charecter who's decided mid way through his career to look into ways to increase his life span he dosent want to be an undead or construct because he wants to be able to stuff involved with being alive if he can still do that while being deathless that may be something to look into further otherwise probably not.

His current classes are totemist 2 ranger 3 umberal disciple 1 (will eventually be 3) which is as far a ive thought.

His species has a maximum age of 40

Have you considered the merits and costs of Reincarnation? There's a version in Spell Compendium called Last Breath that doesn't cost a level to the recipient, but has to be cast a round after you die. It makes you a young adult body, so it can be used to live forever. The questions are how attached you are to your current race, and if you can get a druid to help with this.

drengnikrafe
2010-01-29, 05:43 PM
Have you considered the merits and costs of Reincarnation? There's a version in Spell Compendium called Last Breath that doesn't cost a level to the recipient, but has to be cast a round after you die. It makes you a young adult body, so it can be used to live forever. The questions are how attached you are to your current race, and if you can get a druid to help with this.

I don't have the SC, so... can you tell me a little more about this spell?
Like... do you get aging bonuses again?

Soranar
2010-01-29, 06:24 PM
I just checked the SRD an a monk still dies, even if he is level 17 and gets Perfec tbody, so tough luck here.

Actually monks become outsiders at level 20, and as stated earlier outsiders don't age.

As for the dragon being timeless, my bad. I never read that part of Draconomicon. They still live for a very long time though.

Cieyrin
2010-01-29, 06:24 PM

Philosopher Stones don't do that anymore, unfortunately. :smallannoyed:

Anyways, if you utilize the variant Druid bits from the Iron Kingdoms Character Guide, every spell level you achieve increases your age categories by an additional 10%. Combine with Ruathar and Extend Lifespan as needed to stop aging in it's tracks.

olentu
2010-01-29, 06:31 PM
Actually monks become outsiders at level 20, and as stated earlier outsiders don't age.

As for the dragon being timeless, my bad. I never read that part of Draconomicon. They still live for a very long time though.

They do not actually become outsiders as I recall.

Edit: That being said I recall that the eldrich disciple has a timeless body ability that does not have a die when your time is up clause.

elonin
2010-01-29, 06:48 PM
Maybe native outsiders? You could be a green star adept but that costs 10 levels in a questionable prc. Why not use magic jar then place your real body in suspended animation? When the body you've stolen gets old swap that out with another.

herrhauptmann
2010-01-29, 08:22 PM
They do not actually become outsiders as I recall.

Actually you become a magical creature at monk 20. Are treated thereafter as an outsider rather than a humanoid (or whatever your original type was), but you're not an outsider.
That's so gotta suck if you run into a Ranger who's got Magical Creature on his list.

Perfect Self

At 20th level, a monk becomes a magical creature. She is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the monk gains damage reduction 10/magic, which allows her to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a nonmagical weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn’t have similar damage reduction. Unlike other outsiders, the monk can still be brought back from the dead as if she were a member of her previous creature type.

olentu
2010-01-29, 08:28 PM
Actually you become a magical creature at monk 20. Are treated thereafter as an outsider rather than a humanoid (or whatever your original type was), but you're not an outsider.
That's so gotta suck if you run into a Ranger who's got Magical Creature on his list.

Perfect Self

At 20th level, a monk becomes a magical creature. She is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the monk gains damage reduction 10/magic, which allows her to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a nonmagical weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn’t have similar damage reduction. Unlike other outsiders, the monk can still be brought back from the dead as if she were a member of her previous creature type.

So there would be no interaction with aeging for the most part. Thanks for quoting the text I was a bit to lazy to do so myself.

Grumman
2010-01-29, 08:30 PM
It would, if there were such a thing. A Ranger can't have Favoured Enemy (Magical Creature), because there's no such thing as a Magical Creature type. You're thinking of the Magical Beast type.

Splendor
2010-01-30, 03:58 AM
Reincarnate into a human and try to become an Elan. Sure you lose all your levels but you become immortal.

Become a saint (BoED), become Deathless (BoED), become a warforge (Renegade mastermaker) (Magic of Eberron), become a Killoren (RotW), become a Adu’ja (they live like a thousand years DR 317),

ryzouken
2010-01-30, 04:34 AM
You're a Nezumi. Breed lots of new tribemates, scavenge everything your heart could desire and, if you're a bushi, samurai, or shugenja, die honorably in combat and commend your soul to Yomi.

It's the Celestial Order! Everything in its place and a time for everyone and everything.

On a side note, while seeing a beloved character die of old age is sad, it does open the way for the next batch of fledgling adventurers to step into the spotlight. I don't want to consider what would happen if all those epic adventurers didn't eventually die in a way that disallows resurrections. We'd either get Tippyverse or... worse...

Cicciograna
2010-01-30, 12:18 PM
Gain a Divine Rank, even 0. As a Divine being, he'll be immortal.
The quest for attaining godhood could be the driving force of your character, and your DM could help you with this desire.

Mewtarthio
2010-01-30, 12:49 PM
Somehow acquire a powerstone of true mind switch, then enter the body of a young member of a longer-lived race. Bear in mind that you'll have to make two separate UPD checks (UMD works with transparency) and either have 19 Int or make the UPD check to emulate it.