PDA

View Full Version : Mimic voice?

SethFahad
2010-01-29, 02:23 AM
Ok, how do you mimic someones voice(specific person)?
Skill check? (hmm...bluff, disguise {impersonate})
Spell? If you can't cast, what is the most simple solution?

Ravens_cry
2010-01-29, 02:59 AM
Well, Disguise Self DC system would work best, because it is based on familiarity, so I would use it, but without the bonuses from the disguise kit.

SethFahad
2010-01-29, 05:46 AM
ok. Disguise vs ....Sense motive?
If there is guard behind the door and you are pretending to be his master or fellow guard to let you in, is there a Listen check too? You know, to determin if he's getting the voice behind door right.

Grmph....
Why do I have a strange little voice inside my head that keep telling me "bluff"???? :smallsigh:

anything else? a spell?

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-29, 06:26 AM
ok. Disguise vs ....Sense motive?
If there is guard behind the door and you are pretending to be his master or fellow guard to let you in, is there a Listen check too? You know, to determin if he's getting the voice behind door right.

Grmph....
Why do I have a strange little voice inside my head that keep telling me "bluff"???? :smallsigh:

anything else? a spell?

I'd go with a Bluff, also. The DC would be based on familiarity.

dsmiles
2010-01-29, 07:11 AM
I actually use Perform(Mimicry). But not just for voices. It covers any kind of sound mimicry. For this skill, pretty much all DCs are familiarity-based.

Admiral Squish
2010-01-29, 07:58 AM
I'd call it a bluff check, personally.

On that note, how would you manage a kenku's mimicry? If they can replicate any sound they've heard, can they ad-lib words in another's voice, or are they limited to phrases already spoken?

dsmiles
2010-01-29, 09:07 AM
I'd call it a bluff check, personally.

On that note, how would you manage a kenku's mimicry? If they can replicate any sound they've heard, can they ad-lib words in another's voice, or are they limited to phrases already spoken?

I'd have to go with limited to what they've already heard, like a macaw or parrot.

Devils_Advocate
2010-01-29, 11:35 PM
Disguise opposed by Listen to disguise your voice. Maybe there should be a separate skill for disguising your voice. There really should be a glamer to make something sound different, but I can't find a core one.

Impersonating someone in the course of social interaction should also be Bluff vs. Sense Motive, though unfortunately those rules kind of suck. Given no particular reason to suspect deceit, an average human will believe only half of the lies of another average human? What? Never mind that an all-or-nothing believes / doesn't believe dichotomy is way too black and white, and trying to convince someone of an implausible truth isn't even covered.

Social skills implemented so very poorly.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-29, 11:36 PM
I think there's a race in MMII or MMIII that has this ability. They're like this small bird like race that's LA 0 (kenku I think there called?).

Splendor
2010-01-30, 02:38 AM
Mongrelmen get:
Sound Imitation (Ex): Mongrelmen have an extremely well developed voice that can be used mimic a vast array of sounds such as chirps, roars, clicks and the like. Listeners must succeed in a Will save at DC 16 to detect the rus

Kenku get:
Mimicry (Ex):A kenku makes a bluff check; a listener familiar with the voice being imitated gets a sense motive check to discern that the voice isn't genuine.

Since it's a specific racial trait to only two races I've seen. I would make it a Bluff check but with a -5 penalty, and if the PC doesn't like the large penalty they can feel free to take a feat to eliminate it.

Disguise is opposed by spot. So I wouldn't say that disguise is used. Disguise does allow you to impersonate someone, but that specific use is to "look like" them.

Perform actually has a set list of of subskills: Acting, Dancing, Oratory, Singing, Weapon Drill, Comedy, Keyboard Instruments, Percussion Instruments, String Instruments and Wind Instruments. I might allow someone to use the Perform (acting) skill instead of Bluff....

Admiral Squish
2010-01-30, 02:45 AM
I remember someone coming up with a combination kender/kenku for a magpie sort of thing. But I don't remember what the kender aspects were anymore...

And I just checked, kenku are medium according to MM III.

Noble Savant
2010-01-30, 05:21 AM
Impersonating someone in the course of social interaction should also be Bluff vs. Sense Motive, though unfortunately those rules kind of suck. Given no particular reason to suspect deceit, an average human will believe only half of the lies of another average human? What? Never mind that an all-or-nothing believes / doesn't believe dichotomy is way too black and white, and trying to convince someone of an implausible truth isn't even covered.
Social skills implemented so very poorly.

Not covered? That handy table over here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/Bluff.htm) is just a fancy decoration, is it?

In addition, for anyone who actually read the Sense Motive rules, it isn't exactly black and white, even if you make your sense motive, at least for the less extreme bluffs. It's a hunch, a gut feeling. The person's words make you uneasy and perhaps a bit distrustful, you won't act on what he says with belief.

The problem with Social Skills is entirely different.

DabblerWizard
2010-01-30, 02:17 PM
In 4e I would make it either bluff or diplomacy, focusing more on the intent of the mimicry, and depend on the roll result itself to figure out how well the character copied the voice / gestures, etc.

Istari
2010-01-30, 02:55 PM
I'd say bluff unless the player comes up with another skill that might work and wants to use that one