PDA

View Full Version : OotS books and shipping

Deadly
2010-01-29, 05:58 AM
I would really like to get some of the OotS books, particularly Start of Darkness. However, I have a bit of a concern. If I buy it from Ookoodook, I assume it is shipped from the US, correct? Are there other options, so that it is shipped from within the EU? I tried looking for it at Amazon.co.uk but they don't really have many OotS products.

My problem is this, when some time ago I bought a bunch of books from amazon.com (as opposed to amazon.co.uk) I learned that apparently the postal services where I live apply a monstrously huge, and I mean HUGE tax to anything bought outside the EU. And that was in addition to the usual cost of shipping and whatever other taxes Amazon already add. All I could do back then was smile and pay the outrageous sums, but frankly I don't have that kind of money to spend on random taxes so I've decided never to buy anything from outside the EU again, just to be certain.

I did buy On the Origin of PCs when it first came out and don't recall any additional taxes then, but perhaps these taxes are a new thing, or perhaps paizo (I believe I bought it from them back then) shipped from within the EU. I would rather not take the chance, though, so any advice would be wonderful.

If it helps any, I live in Denmark. If anyone else from around here have bought OotS books and know if extra outrageous taxes apply I'd like to hear. Still, I imagine shipping from within the EU would be cheaper for me either way, so if it's possible it would be great to know.

Ancalagon
2010-01-29, 06:05 AM
I live in germany and there are no additional taxes on print-stuff. You just pay the price plus the listed shipping.

google with the keywords "shipping tax denmark" and maybe "usa" or "books" (well, just in the local language of course) should show you if you can expect higher costs or not?

Deadly
2010-01-29, 06:12 AM
I believe it's a tax unique to the danish postal services, but I could be wrong.

All I can find on their website is that apparently it applies to all goods from outside the EU, but it's a bit vague to be honest.

Werbaer
2010-01-29, 06:29 AM
I live in germany and there are no additional taxes on print-stuff. You just pay the price plus the listed shipping.
Unless the sender declares it as a gift, you have to pay VAT (Einfuhrumsatzsteuer), if the value (including shipping) ist 22 Euro or more.

Ancalagon
2010-01-29, 06:31 AM
I believe it's a tax unique to the danish postal services, but I could be wrong.

All I can find on their website is that apparently it applies to all goods from outside the EU, but it's a bit vague to be honest.

It's the same here: Goods (not the shipping) you get from non-EU (for example america) are without certain taxes (that's why it's so cheap to buy jeans or whatever from the US). So if your delivery got examined in customs, you have to pay those taxes.
Just that it does not apply to books/other prints. How that is in denmark is something you should be able to find out with google.

Did you buy books or other stuff from amazon.com?

You should also try to find out what sort of "tax" you had to pay extra: Was it really the postal service that had you pay extra? Or was it customs?

Deadly
2010-01-29, 07:12 AM
Did you buy books or other stuff from amazon.com?

Only books, nothing else.

You should also try to find out what sort of "tax" you had to pay extra: Was it really the postal service that had you pay extra? Or was it customs?

From what I remember it was both a fixed amount the postal services required for handling the package, and customs. This seems to fit with what I can find on the web now; they take a certain fixed amount for handling packages from outside the EU in addition to taxes. The fixed amount is more than I pay for the comic book AND shipping.

Vargtass
2010-01-29, 07:23 AM
Suggestion: Have it delivered to a friend in Sweden or Germany, and have them send it as a gift to you. Or pick it up yourself if you are close to the border... There is definitely no extra fees on the stuff I have had delivered to Sweden for example (or Netherlands, for that matter).

Ancalagon
2010-01-29, 07:25 AM
Unless the sender declares it as a gift, you have to pay VAT (Einfuhrumsatzsteuer), if the value (including shipping) ist 22 Euro or more.

Not entirely true:

There are taxes (Einfuhrumsatzsteuer), 7% for print, 16% for anything else.
If the 7% are less than 10 euro, you have to pay nothing (Kleinstbetragregelung). You can buy a lot of oots-books (including shipping) before 7% of that is more than 10 euro. ;)

Deadly
2010-01-29, 07:35 AM
Here's what they say (my rough translation):

"As a general rule, customs duties, VAT and any other charges must be paid on imports of goods from countries outside the EU.
Post Denmark has the obligation to declare to [the Danish tax agency] any imports via mail. To cover the cost of this work Post Denmark collects the following import fee:
Basic Price incl. 1. product line: [about 30$]
+ Per. additional product line: [about 7$]"

Not sure what that second price is, but 30$ is pretty much exactly what the book and shipping costs (so I was a bit off in my last comment, still that's before customs).

Suggestion: Have it delivered to a friend in Sweden or Germany, and have them send it as a gift to you. Or pick it up yourself if you are close to the border... There is definitely no extra fees on the stuff I have had delivered to Sweden for example (or Netherlands, for that matter).

Sadly I have noone I can think of to send it to.

Tundar
2010-01-29, 08:00 AM
Fantask sells them. Been there done that :smallsmile:
They are located in Copenhagen, but try their webshop if you live far away.

http://www.fantask.dk/default.asp?id=1&cbochoice=games&itemid=IMPGIPOTS4

Deadly
2010-01-29, 08:05 AM
Fantask sells them. Been there done that :smallsmile:
They are located in Copenhagen, but try their webshop if you live far away.

http://www.fantask.dk/default.asp?id=1&cbochoice=games&itemid=IMPGIPOTS4

Yay! Thanks :) Start of Darkness is actually cheaper there than if I bought it on Ookoodook :smalleek:

ilcane87
2010-01-29, 10:50 AM
If you're still searching, this online shop is located in the UK, and sells SoD as well as a couple other OOTS books (you don't even need a Credit Card):

http://www.iguk.co.uk/categories/order-of-the-stick-418.aspx

Also, you may want to check Ebay, I bought 5 OOTS books from a british shop I found there, namely this one:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/BattleQuestGames