PDA

View Full Version : Paladin help

ChrisDemilich
2010-01-29, 09:25 AM
So.. I decided to make a fun character. To be precise, a Dragonborn Goliath Paladin, with a divine rank of 0. (My DM decided that a divine rank 0 was worth a +3 LA, since it was slightly worse overall than half celestial[though I had to lower the SR to 21])

Anyway, I am making my character a Paladin, which I know is far from an optimized class. My question is, I have SIX levels of Paladin. What feats could I take to increase my character's power as much as I can? I want to make him a powerful tank, with his high HP, and good DR. He also hits pretty hard(For a melee character).

Any ideas?

AtwasAwamps
2010-01-29, 09:33 AM
Some of the divine feats are something you might look into. A couple of them burn turning attempts for increased AC and extra damage on a power attack.

Person_Man
2010-01-29, 10:51 AM
You know that Dragonborn eliminates your previous racial abilities, right? So no Powerful Build for you. You're basically pissing away +1 LA.

Divine rank? What book is this from, and how could you take 0 levels of it?

Anywho, the standard Paladin tank relies on a powerful mount, buff spells, and feats fueled by Turn Undead. Consider:
Leadership: Better mount.

Mounted Combat -> Ride by Attack -> Spirited Charge: defense, offense, battlefiled control.
Sword of the Arcane Order: Can memorize Wizard spells, use Wizard magic items (like Wands).
Domain Devotion feats: Earth, Travel, Animal, Death, etc. Most of them are very useful. Check out Complete Champion.
Shield Specialization + Shield Ward + Divine Shield: +1 to your Shield bonus, spend a Turn/Rebuke to make your Cha bonus apply to your Shield bonus, and your Shield bonus applies to Touch AC (screw your casters) and your ability to resist Trip/Bull Rush/Grapple/etc attacks.

paddyfool
2010-01-29, 11:25 AM
Also: Battle Blessing.

Mando Knight
2010-01-29, 11:31 AM

Divine Rank 0 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm#rank0). You know, being a Hero-God or such like Herakles.

Person_Man
2010-01-29, 12:15 PM
Divine Rank 0 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm#rank0). You know, being a Hero-God or such like Herakles.

Ah. I guess I was ignorant about it because no one ever uses it. I thought that was an NPC option? You're immortal, immune to polymorphing, energy drain, ability drain, ability damage, mind-affecting effects, and have DR 10/epic, SR 32, etc. Sorta takes the challenge out of combat.

hamishspence
2010-01-29, 12:17 PM
At low levels it might be a bit game-breaking, at high levels, though, it isn't all that exceptional.

Added to an ECL 7 character like a Goliath with 6 character levels- LA +3 adjustment seems a little on the low side though.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-29, 12:25 PM
You know that Dragonborn eliminates your previous racial abilities, right? So no Powerful Build for you. You're basically pissing away +1 LA.

Anywho, the standard Paladin tank relies on a powerful mount, buff spells, and feats fueled by Turn Undead. Consider:
Leadership: Better mount.

Mounted Combat -> Ride by Attack -> Spirited Charge: defense, offense, battlefiled control.
Sword of the Arcane Order: Can memorize Wizard spells, use Wizard magic items (like Wands).
Domain Devotion feats: Earth, Travel, Animal, Death, etc. Most of them are very useful. Check out Complete Champion.
Shield Specialization + Shield Ward + Divine Shield: +1 to your Shield bonus, spend a Turn/Rebuke to make your Cha bonus apply to your Shield bonus, and your Shield bonus applies to Touch AC (screw your casters) and your ability to resist Trip/Bull Rush/Grapple/etc attacks.

Dragonborn specifies that you retain Powerful/Sleight Build.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-29, 12:50 PM
I say build a martial-focused paladin, then take the Knight of the Raven for 5 lvs and Divine Crusader for the full 10. Nuff said.