PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) breaking through mind-affecting immunity

alisbin
2010-01-29, 10:12 AM
hey mates,
i'm playing a telepath currently (love'im) but as we start to go up to mid and high level i know that more and more creatures are going to have immunity to mind affecting spells/powers. so, i'm wondering if there are any feats, powers or class features that would allow me to break through it, even temporarily?
and yes i know i could just get non mind affecting powers, but i have significant fluff reasons that forbid me (and my DM isn't that familiar with psionics so i had to agree to certain restrictions to play the character, namely only clairsentience or telepathy powers).

Myou
2010-01-29, 11:27 AM
I've never heard of any, and I hope that none exist - that would be a nightmare for any DM to explain, and make it really hard for players to protect themselves against a lot of spells.

FishAreWet
2010-01-29, 11:30 AM
Shatter Mind Blank helps on people with Mind Blank.

That's about it.

Tokiko Mima
2010-01-29, 11:38 AM
You could ask your DM if he would let you adapt Nightmare Spinner (CM pg. 74) to Enchantment focus per the Adaption section listed in the class. It mentions the class gaining the ability to charm and dominate enemies normally immune to such spells. The problem would be qualifying as a Telepath....

Lycanthromancer
2010-01-29, 11:44 AM
Well, it's 3rd party (I wrote it), but my psionic powers revision (http://www.sendspace.com/file/tjplff)'s version of shatter mindblank temporarily allows you to overcome non-mindless creatures' immunity (though you have to make a manifester level check to do so).

Really, despite some hiccups, psionics is mostly balanced as-is (although I paved over the few loopholes, and added a ton of new options, and pushed some sub-par powers up a bit).

If your DM isn't letting you use anything but [mind-affecting] powers, and you can't use my version of shatter mindblank, you're basically stuck. See if you can't psionic dominate a big bruiser to keep as a pet, augment it as high as you can, and remanifest a few times per day in case it gets dispelled (multiple iterations don't stack, but overlap; if one is dispelled you'll have others that will take effect that way). Get yourself a hoard of minions, and find more when you need them.

Other than that, make a new character.

Ashiel
2010-01-29, 11:55 AM

yes i know i could just get non mind affecting powers, but i have significant fluff reasons that forbid me (and my DM isn't that familiar with psionics so i had to agree to certain restrictions to play the character, namely only clairsentience or telepathy powers).

This makes me want to cry. :smallfrown:

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 12:22 PM
Go Thrallherd, and keep a big beatstick around to do your fighting, because you're basically screwed.

Wow, there isn't even anything in Hyperconscious to do this.

Lycanthromancer
2010-01-29, 12:23 PM
Well, if your DM is alright with everything so far, maybe you should request a character rebuild, such as through psychic reformation? It's [mind-affecting]. See if you couldn't add in, say, metacreativity powers. Add in one discipline at a time until your DM is comfortable with it.

I'd suggest psionic minor creation, astral construct, and crystal shard, myself.

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 12:25 PM
Please note: you'll need the Expanded Knowledge feat to take Astral Construct and still be a Telepath.

Person_Man
2010-01-29, 12:26 PM
Nothing I'm aware of. But as other have said, there's nothing stopping you from Dominating non-immune enemies as minions, or just buying some useful magic or psionic items that work well against undeads and contructs and whatnot.

NEO|Phyte
2010-01-29, 12:29 PM
Shatter Mind Blank helps on people with Mind Blank.

That's about it.
So does Dispel Psionics (assuming transparency), with the bonus that Dispel Psionics is better at it than Shatter Mind Blank.