PDA

View Full Version : Archmage Apocalypse

Your Nemesis
2010-01-29, 11:30 AM
Hey, since Archmage allows you to use a spell of any level as a spell-like ability, wouldn't that mean that you could use this with apocalypse from the sky?
(add explosive spell and necropolitan for even more fun!)

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 12:13 PM
I'd say you could, but nothing about the description of spell-like abilities says you get to avoid paying the corruption cost. 4d6 wisdom drain is steep.

Deth Muncher
2010-01-29, 12:21 PM
I'd say you could, but nothing about the description of spell-like abilities says you get to avoid paying the corruption cost. 4d6 wisdom drain is steep.

Become immune to ability damage?

arguskos
2010-01-29, 12:26 PM
You need immunity to both ability damage and ability DRAIN, which is somewhat harder to acquire.

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 12:27 PM

You need to be immune to ability drain to block this, not damage. Immunity to Ability Damage will only help with the other half of the Corruption cost (i.e. the Constitution damage) for this.

EDIT: Cursed ninja! I smite thee!

Deth Muncher
2010-01-29, 02:00 PM
You need immunity to both ability damage and ability DRAIN, which is somewhat harder to acquire.

Howzabout that vestige that Hellfire Warlocks use?

Lycanthromancer
2010-01-29, 02:03 PM
Necropolitan?

I'd hit that like a ban-hammer. :smalltongue:

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 02:15 PM
Howzabout that vestige that Hellfire Warlocks use?

Naberius heals damage, not drain.

Necropolitan?

I'd hit that like a ban-hammer. :smalltongue:

That would work (and be handy for a BBEG I think.)

Glimbur
2010-01-29, 02:22 PM
How much does an artifact cost? Because our Archmage has to pay 10x that in XP, as per their particular SLA.

jiriku
2010-01-29, 02:34 PM
Meh, dweomerkeeper is better for this than archmage. Cast it as a supernatural ability instead, and avoid the XP cost.

lisiecki
2010-01-29, 02:40 PM
How much does an artifact cost? Because our Archmage has to pay 10x that in XP, as per their particular SLA.

Artifacts don't cost anything, your not going to find the Book of VileDarkness at a store, or the eye of Vecna at a market

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 02:40 PM
Apocalypse from the Sky has no XP cost. It is a Corrupt spell from BoVD.

Narazil
2010-01-29, 02:42 PM
Apocalypse from the Sky has no XP cost. It is a Corrupt spell from BoVD.
But it requires an Artifact to be sacked. If you want to use it as a SLA, you pay the cost of the artifact x10 in XP when you cast it.

The archmage does not use any components when casting the spell, although a spell that costs XP to cast still does so and a spell with a costly material component instead costs her 10 times that amount in XP.

hamishspence
2010-01-29, 02:49 PM
Didn't errata state that it was a Focus, not a Material Component. and thus wasn't destroyed when used?

Though that could have been the not-always -reliable Sage Advice saying that rather than errata.