PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Aiel

Overshee
2010-01-29, 12:40 PM
Just out of curiosity, what class do you think an Aiel warrior would be? Dreamwalker? Different septs?

I would think scout maybe, but I wanted to know if you guys had other suggestions.

paddyfool
2010-01-29, 12:42 PM
Swordsage (with less of, y'know, the sword) or Warblade would work pretty well. Different septs might focus on different disciplines.

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 12:49 PM
Tome of Battle definitely fits them.

Outside of that, I think Scout would indeed come closest. They are big on stealth, and moving during battle.

I wouldn't bother with the wise ones/dreamwalkers though - the One Power is too dissimilar to D&D magic. (Although, somewhat closer to psionics.)

Overshee
2010-01-29, 01:05 PM
I wish the WoT d20 game was actually... good :-P
Didn't really seem to work in play very well, or at least didn't when I tested it.

I read all of the current books over summer vacation. That's 11 books in 3 months. It's a ridiculous series, has its ups and downs (omg the book that is a recap of the book before book!), but I can't wait till it's finished.

dsmiles
2010-01-29, 01:18 PM
I wish the WoT d20 game was actually... good :-P
Didn't really seem to work in play very well, or at least didn't when I tested it.

I read all of the current books over summer vacation. That's 11 books in 3 months. It's a ridiculous series, has its ups and downs (omg the book that is a recap of the book before book!), but I can't wait till it's finished.

I, too, have also tested this, and it has been found...wanting...

EDIT: There are 13 books as of November-ish. (Including New Spring and The Rising Storm)

Sanguine
2010-01-29, 01:30 PM
I, too, have also tested this, and it has been found...wanting...

EDIT: There are 13 books as of November-ish. (Including New Spring and The Gathering Storm)
Fixed that for you.

dsmiles
2010-01-29, 01:33 PM
Fixed that for you.

My bad. Haven't bought it yet.

Overshee
2010-01-29, 01:35 PM
Whoops, counted wrong. I read from Eye of the World to Gathering Storm,

And I didn't read new spring.

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 01:37 PM
And I didn't read new spring.

You will definitely want to, particularly if you want to know more about Aiel (and their weird relationship with Lan.)

Sanguine
2010-01-29, 01:39 PM
You will definitely want to, particularly if you want to know more about Aiel (and their weird relationship with Lan.)

Seconded. It's also fun seeing some of the characters when they were younger.

dsmiles
2010-01-29, 01:57 PM
Thirdeded. A very good read.

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 02:17 PM
It's also, IIRC, the only book where we actually get to see an Aes Sedai test in action, because all three of the Wonder Girls skipped that step (lazy chits :smalltongue:)

Thorcrest
2010-01-29, 04:10 PM
(lazy chits :smalltongue:)

Either that or they're the Forsaken using Compulsion to get what they want :smalltongue:

Ernir
2010-01-29, 04:15 PM
Scout or Warblade. Possibly SwordSpearsage.

It's also, IIRC, the only book where we actually get to see an Aes Sedai test in action, because all three of the Wonder Girls skipped that step (lazy chits :smalltongue:)

"Screw formalities, we have a plot to keep moving crawling!"

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 04:28 PM
"Screw formalities, we have a plot to keep moving crawling!"

Oh come on, it doesn't crawl that much!

*Reads Wheel of Time Abridged (http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386600)*

Ah, screw it.

Da'Shain
2010-01-29, 06:58 PM
I would say Monk actually fits almost perfectly, especially if you assume that just about every Aiel is at least 3rd level. They get:

- All good saves: Aiel are lightning quick, rigidly disciplined, and survive in one of the harshest environments in the world.
- Fast Movement: Aiel are fast, tireless runners who can outpace men on horseback over long distance.
- Unarmed Strike/Flurry of Blows/Bonus Feats: Aiel are the premiere hand to hand combatants around.
- Evasion: Again, catlike reflexes.
- AC Bonus: Aiel generally go unarmored (okay, they wear leathers but that seems to simply be durable, not armor) and dodge or deflect attacks.
- Large skill list with decent skill points: All of them are at least semi-proficient at stealth and physical exertion in addition to pursuing other specializations.
- Required Lawful alignment: Again, rigidly disciplined and essentially dogmatic devotion to ji'e'toh.

Pretty much the only things that're off are the medium BAB and the lack of proficiency with spears and bows, but let's just say they all take Weapon Proficiency(Aiel) as their human bonus feat. And that in a low-magic setting (low on the magic equipment, anyway), the medium BAB still lets them kill 99/100 people.

New Spring's a fun read, and only serves to cement Lan's sheer badassitude. And it was refreshingly brief compared to the rest of the books. Not that I mind the length, but every so often it gets overwhelming, rereading those.

Overshee
2010-01-29, 08:39 PM
I would say Monk actually fits almost perfectly, especially if you assume that just about every Aiel is at least 3rd level.

Except Aiel can actually do stuff :-P

More seriously and with 100% less monk-bashing, I wish Aiel were more expanded upon. I would love to know more about differences between septs, more explanations of their customs (instead of Rand's "WTF" and Avhienda's "I'm gonna call you a woolhead instead of actually explaining it in a reasonable manner).

Aiel and Aes Sedai are the most compelling groups in the story (to me, at least), but I feel like they got sidetracked, pushed around, and abridged in order to make way for the story (which is about 300% too bloated and ineffectual)

All that aside I love WoT.

Da'Shain
2010-01-29, 10:32 PM
I'd argue that at low levels, a monk's at least decent if not good, especially when you factor in the lack of magic items, magic users and WBL. Of course, the Aiel also have a level advantage over pretty much everyone else, so that factors in too. I just think the Monk's abilities represent Aiel best. Would be better if they got full BAB, but ... eh, that's an old grievance.

For more Aiel action, read books 4 and 5, they're almost all about Aiel. New customs and the like crop up every now and again, but I feel like they got a good amount of time in the spotlight. And Aes Sedai? They've been almost dominating the books since at least the sixth one! And quite frankly, I'm sick to death of them, considering how arrogant they've been revealed to be, and how poorly justified that arrogance actually is.

Soranar
2010-01-29, 11:01 PM
Aiels are basically monks

but with a few bonuses and drawback as a human sub-race

Race: Aiel

40 ft base movement
+2 Dex
favored class: monk
bonus feat: endurance

may never use a sword or similar edged weapon
an Aiel fighter does not gain medium and heavy armor proficiencies nor does gain shield proficiencies outside of buckler

probably should make a decent fighter substitution level classes with uncanny dodge, pounce and something else

Aiel monk weapon school:

(can be flurried) shortspear, spear, unarmed strike

(proficiency) shortbow, dagger, buckler

special Aiel feat:

Aiel pounce