PDA

View Full Version : PvP Character Build

Rasman
2010-01-29, 06:47 PM
So, this guy that I met though someone I work with, who is a DM and the guy is one of his players, wants to see who can build a more deadly character. He let me set the standards, with a few exceptions, so I told him, any book is allowed, no Dragon Mags, we'll follow Pathfinder Rules, no Creature with an LA over +2, any outside resources for build ideas or concepts is fine (He actually asked for that one, so I'm a little worried) and it will basically be an Arena setting, and of course, no Wish. Basically, it's a fight to the death between two level 20 characters, now the real question is, what to play? My personal favorite idea is Wizard/Malconvoker with conjuration/illusion specality, but that seems pretty crushable, so I'm looking at other avenues of badassery, any suggestions into the world of "that's just wrong"?

Also, should we go Point Buy or D6 Rolls? if Point Buy, how many?

Tanaric
2010-01-29, 07:20 PM
I'm unfamiliar with the difference between 3.5 and Pathfinder point buys, so I can't suggest a number, but point buy is the clear option for PvP. If you do die rolls, a few lucky rolls tip the advantage in your favor. With point buy, everyone is on equal footing.

Starbuck_II
2010-01-29, 07:25 PM
So, this guy that I met though someone I work with, who is a DM and the guy is one of his players, wants to see who can build a more deadly character. He let me set the standards, with a few exceptions, so I told him, any book is allowed, no Dragon Mags, we'll follow Pathfinder Rules, no Creature with an LA over +2, any outside resources for build ideas or concepts is fine (He actually asked for that one, so I'm a little worried) and it will basically be an Arena setting, and of course, no Wish. Basically, it's a fight to the death between two level 20 characters, now the real question is, what to play? My personal favorite idea is Wizard/Malconvoker with conjuration/illusion specality, but that seems pretty crushable, so I'm looking at other avenues of badassery, any suggestions into the world of "that's just wrong"?

Also, should we go Point Buy or D6 Rolls? if Point Buy, how many?

Dragonborn Human (Pathfinder version) is nice but class is question.

Rasman
2010-01-29, 07:29 PM
I'm unfamiliar with the difference between 3.5 and Pathfinder point buys, so I can't suggest a number, but point buy is the clear option for PvP. If you do die rolls, a few lucky rolls tip the advantage in your favor. With point buy, everyone is on equal footing.

there's no real difference between PF and 3.5 point buys, tbh, if you were gonna go with 3.5 point buy, what would you go on?

Dragonborn Human (Pathfinder version) is nice but class is question.

yeah, Dragonborn are BAMFs flat out since you get the breathweapon AND can take the Mega Breath feats, Dragonfire Adept would be my first choice for a Dragonborn anything probably, but I'm sure I could find a better combo.

Eldariel
2010-01-29, 07:30 PM
*shrug* Wizard is probably the easiest way. Malconvoker is decent, but if you really wanna be strong, use Incantatrix [PGtF] and persist every buff known to man (you can get a good number of 'em through Cooperative Casting [Incantatrix Ability] + Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability [Spell from Spell Compendium], but mostly you'll just toss Metamagic Effect [Incantatrix Ability] all over the place) and 5 levels of some other class.

Of course your race will be Human (Pf Humans = lol), you'll probably be wanting to be able to Chain Greater Dispel Magic and Disjunction to your heart's content (really, one rather fine means of beating any non-caster is simply dispelling any form of flight they have. That, coupled with Flight and some Wall means that you're basically immune to whatever they're doing while you bombard them with e.g. Orbs of Force (with True Strike) that are filled to the brim with sick metamagic.

Of course, you could just Time Stop and encase them in Forcecage, Dimensional Lock, Force Manifest [Spell Compendium] and Maw of Chaos [Spell Compendium] (for example). That's pretty generally applicable solution; just ready an action to cast Wall of Force to replace one, if they have Rod of Cancellation to get rid of one, and they'll die in no time. Vs. other casters, of course, such simple methods are insufficient and you'll probably want to begin fight with various Dispels, Immediate Action Counterspells (Battlemagic Perception [Heroes of Battle] and Ring of Spell-Battle [Magic Item Compendium] for example enable this) and Orbs of Death.

If you can e.g. use Familiar with AMF on it (or your own person with shaped AMF on it) and get your opponent into the AMF, you should be able to kill him with one swift action (without magical defenses, an Orb of Force for couple of hundred points is practically unstoppable for a caster with caster HP).

Rasman
2010-01-29, 07:41 PM
*shrug* Wizard is probably the easiest way. Malconvoker is decent, but if you really wanna be strong, use Incantatrix [PGtF] and persist every buff known to man (you can get a good number of 'em through Cooperative Casting [Incantatrix Ability] + Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability [Spell from Spell Compendium], but mostly you'll just toss Metamagic Effect [Incantatrix Ability] all over the place) and 5 levels of some other class.

Of course your race will be Human (Pf Humans = lol), you'll probably be wanting to be able to Chain Greater Dispel Magic and Disjunction to your heart's content (really, one rather fine means of beating any non-caster is simply dispelling any form of flight they have. That, coupled with Flight and some Wall means that you're basically immune to whatever they're doing while you bombard them with e.g. Orbs of Force (with True Strike) that are filled to the brim with sick metamagic.

Of course, you could just Time Stop and encase them in Forcecage, Dimensional Lock, Force Manifest [Spell Compendium] and Maw of Chaos [Spell Compendium] (for example). That's pretty generally applicable solution; just ready an action to cast Wall of Force to replace one, if they have Rod of Cancellation to get rid of one, and they'll die in no time. Vs. other casters, of course, such simple methods are insufficient and you'll probably want to begin fight with various Dispels, Immediate Action Counterspells (Battlemagic Perception [Heroes of Battle] and Ring of Spell-Battle [Magic Item Compendium] for example enable this) and Orbs of Death.

If you can e.g. use Familiar with AMF on it (or your own person with shaped AMF on it) and get your opponent into the AMF, you should be able to kill him with one swift action (without magical defenses, an Orb of Force for couple of hundred points is practically unstoppable for a caster with caster HP).

so, cast AMF on something like a Raven Familiar and just blast...got cha, lol...although if he rolls a Melee character, I'm probably going Wiz/Mal/Iot7FV if I can fit it all in, maybe just Iot7FV period, they're just twisted against anything that can't cast or fly

I'm probably going to make two characters actually, one caster and one melee fighter, although I don't want to cheese him TOO bad with a Chain Fighter, because...that'd be :smallredface: wrong