PDA

View Full Version : Low cost ways to communicate while in wildshape?

randomhero00
2010-01-29, 10:23 PM
As a druid? Anyone know of any? All my ideas either require losing levels in druid or are too high level. Need something that would work for low-mid levels.

Can't dragons get some kind of telepathy? I forget if they actually speak through their mouth. I could go dragonwrought kobold and theoretically take that feat (if it exists?)

Kaun
2010-01-29, 10:26 PM
3.5 i guess? Because 4e you can just chatter away.

but then 4e druids wildshape is dumb.

Kantolin
2010-01-29, 10:28 PM
A method, from the Magic of Incanrum, which is unlikely to be the best option:
- Be at least level 6
- Feat: Open Least Chakra [Crown]
- Feat: Shape Soulmeld (Shedu Crown)

Now, if you then take share soulmeld, your animal companion can also chat with anyone. ^_^ Granted, this probably isn't the most wise uses of your feats.

Nohwl
2010-01-29, 10:34 PM
only talk out of character.

http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0052.html

TheLogman
2010-01-29, 10:34 PM
Just give one of your party members the ability to cast Speak with Animals (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/speakWithAnimals.htm).

You could use a wand, or a potion, or a ring that grants it permanently, an amulet?

Alternatively, just get telepathy with a spell from your local wizard or a magic item.

Don't feel constrained to working with class features. Although using spells and magic items doesn't have the 100% all the time value of class features, it's so much easier to work with items and spells, especially since they won't be taken away very often.

Look into Wilding Clasps. Perhaps get one that grants telepathy all the time?

Iku Rex
2010-01-29, 10:42 PM
Pearl of speech (600 gp, MIC). Lets you speak one language. Should work in wild shape.

Jack_Simth
2010-01-29, 10:45 PM
For a Core method? A Medalion of Thought Projection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#medallionofThoughtProjection) is pretty cheap - and if you know what it is, it doesn't really hinder you. With the whole "wildshape makes items meld" bit, you'll want to have someone else put it on you after you shift, but it should do the job.

Lysander
2010-01-29, 10:46 PM
Become a gorilla. Use pen and paper.

There's also the very low cost Medallion of Thought Projection. Just slip it on right after you use wild shape, and use its cursed Detect Thoughts to project your thoughts in a 60ft cone.

edit: arg! ninja'd!

Speak With Animals actually wouldn't work. You don't gain the animal type when using wild shape.

randomhero00
2010-01-29, 10:58 PM
Some options, I suppose.

Medallion of Thought Projection I could see the DM arguing the medallion not fitting most form's necks. It would also be bad for stealth forms for scouting.

Pearl of Speech Correct me if I'm wrong, but granting a language wouldn't matter. My druid already knows several. Its speaking them as an animal that's the problem.

An item that grants telepathy (+ clasp) would be pretty expensive, no? I'm looking for low cost solutions.

Kantolin interesting solution but ya, too many feats.

Oh well, guess I'll stick to grunts and body language. It was mostly for fluff.

Doomboy911
2010-01-29, 11:01 PM
Write in the ground. That's super cheap.If you do go aerial you should tell them your plan first before doing it.

Soranar
2010-01-29, 11:05 PM
transform into a dragon, they can speak

Tricksy Hobbits
2010-01-29, 11:05 PM
The druid would still understand the party's spoken language, just be unable to speak it, so what about getting a pearl of speech for another party member, and have him speak in english, you speak in bear/wolve/whatever. Bilingual Dialogue ftw.

erikun
2010-01-29, 11:08 PM
If you want to use in-game logic, have everyone take Drow Sign Languange as a language, then Wildshape into something with fingers. There's nothing stopping a gorilla from using its fingers to "speak" in Drow Sign.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-29, 11:09 PM
Medallion of Thought Projection I could see the DM arguing the medallion not fitting most form's necks. It would also be bad for stealth forms for scouting.

As a default rule, treat creatures of any shape as having all the
normal body slots available.

And since the only way that one can deviate from that rule and lose a throat slot is having no head...

Pearl of Speech Correct me if I'm wrong, but granting a language wouldn't matter. My druid already knows several. Its speaking them as an animal that's the problem.

While absorbed, the pearl grants you the ability to speak and understand a specific language, such as Dwarven or Draconic.

It's ambiguous, but better than disregarding it due to a chance of failure.

Doomboy911
2010-01-29, 11:14 PM
Why is the dirt idea not being taken into consideration they have the ability to write and I don't think it specifies that you need paper and pen.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-01-29, 11:20 PM
Why is the dirt idea not being taken into consideration they have the ability to write and I don't think it specifies that you need paper and pen.

Because the only no one reads anything in D&D.

After all, it could say "I prepared Exploding Runes Today."

randomhero00
2010-01-29, 11:22 PM
Doomboy- It's an idea I already know is all. I wanted to be able to speak or use telepathy for fluff reasons. Scrawling with my paw in the dirt is just undignified.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-30, 12:01 AM
Can't dragons get some kind of telepathy? I forget if they actually speak through their mouth. I could go dragonwrought kobold and theoretically take that feat (if it exists?)

My knowledge of arcane spells in D&D isn't great, but don't wizards/sorcerers get a spell that lets them read minds or communicate telepathically? Just have the wizard do your talking.

Eldariel
2010-01-30, 12:05 AM
Permanencied Telepathic Bond between characters tends to be just fine; it'll cost some XP but that's all. Available level 9. Other than that, naturally telepathic races or one-level MoMF dip are both options (though MoMF dip is of course mechanically weak).

Mongoose87
2010-01-30, 12:15 AM
Only Wild Shape into Awakened animals.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-30, 12:35 AM
Ghostwise halfling, from one of the FR books. Racial telepathy. Or dip in Mindbender.

Voice of Reason
2010-01-30, 12:38 AM
There is a lesser version of Telepathic Bond that is only a 3rd or 4th level spell. If the former, you could simply get it in a Schema or Eternal Wand and just have 1-2 party members be your mouthpiece.

As a general rule, it also helps if you can simply figure out a code for your group. For example, whenever I decided to wild shape (into a wolf, usually), it was well understood that one bark meant "yes" and two meant "no." You'd be surprised how much this and body language can convey.

Splendor
2010-01-30, 01:55 AM
PEARL OF SPEECH: 600 gp Magical Item Compendium Pg 118
Pearl of speech takes up the face slot magical item. Its absorbed into the body when activated. The pearl grants you the ability to speak and understand a specific language. So choose common for the language the pearl allows you to speak.

Want something more powerful?
Have a psion create a third eye, but give it the powers of tongues (psionic)
2nd level spell * 3rd level manifester * 2000gp = 12000 gp.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-30, 02:05 AM
Bark/Growl/Etc.

Seriously. Develop a system based on numbers and actions.

Growls = danger
Barks/yips/etc = alert, look here, answer

1 time = yes
2 times = no
3 times = rephrase

It's not precise, but it lets you handle the basics.

BenTheJester
2010-01-30, 02:19 AM
Can't whisper gnomes talk while shape shifted?

Draz74
2010-01-30, 02:19 AM
You need a Psion in your party ... Mindlink FTW, starting at Level 1 ...

Heliomance
2010-01-30, 07:40 AM
Start dumping skill points into Perform (Interpretive Dance)

Doomboy911
2010-01-30, 08:52 AM
Wouldn't casting tongues cover everything bards can do it at a fairly low level.

TheWerdna
2010-01-30, 09:08 AM
If you use the Eberron Campaign setting, Kalashtars have the ability to creat a Mindlink once per day.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-30, 09:54 AM
Have you and a fellow party member learn and/or invent Morse, and thump the ground.
Or turn into a panda and carry a bunch of signs.

mostlyharmful
2010-01-30, 11:03 AM
Why do you need to talk? You're a druid that's high enough level to wildshape, you're a party all by yourself.

AtwasAwamps
2010-01-30, 11:12 AM
Level 1 of Master of Many Forms

Also, is it true that Wildshaped druids in 4.0 don't need to shift back and forth to speak? Because I'm going to have words with a certain DM of mine soon...

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-01-30, 08:02 PM
Level 1 of Master of Many FormsWow it took until the second page to get the obvious answer out...

I would have made post two as "MoMF1 /thread"