PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 beguiler/swordsage

retaliation08
2010-01-29, 11:27 PM
ok so far i have this:

beguiler 6/ swordsage 2

stats:

feats: EWP spiked chain, combat reflexes, weapon finesse, and imp. initiative/ jack of all trades (which would be better?)

For stances im going with child of shadow and assassin stance (i have distract assailent as adv learning)

maneuvers are mostly shadow hand ( cloak of deception, shadow garrote, etc) and diamond mind (sapphire nightmare blade, emerald razor strike)

fwith my 30,000 gp I am buying hand of the mage, gloves of dex, vest of many styles, bracers of great reach so far. I want the dislocator effect for the spiked chain.

I basically need advice for my 4th feat (imp init/jack of all trades) and ways to spend my gp. Also any other advice to better the build which is basically a trickster.

thanks in advance.

Darrin
2010-01-29, 11:43 PM
I basically need advice for my 4th feat (imp init/jack of all trades) and ways to spend my gp. Also any other advice to better the build which is basically a trickster.

Pick up Shadow Blade or Craven.

Improved Init is a decent feat, but you already have a high dex. There are too many other important feats I'd take before that one. You haven't even picked up Adaptive Style, for example. Take Staggering Strike when you get enough BAB, and Undo Resistance somewhere in the higher levels.

Never, ever take Jack of All Trades. You already have taken levels in two of the better skillmonkey classes in the game, so it's not like you're starved for skill points. The odds of Jack of All Trades ever being useful are way too close to zero.

retaliation08
2010-01-29, 11:52 PM
ok i totally forgot about shadow blade. adaptive style isnt of great importance to me as I have many spells per day if i run out of maneuvers. What to do with the gp? I am also gonna add anklet of translocation I think. are tanglefoot bags anygood? ranged touch attacks are always nice.

Darrin
2010-01-30, 12:33 AM
Marvelous Pigments and Gloves of Object Reading. On top of Mountain Hammer at will and that should allow you to completely *dismantle* most dungeons.

retaliation08
2010-01-30, 12:36 AM
where can i get my +2 dex if i get gloves of object reading? should I get a higher dex item or is +2 enough for this build? I really want to gain flight somehow and was hoping i could get it through a magic item. is that possible?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-01-30, 12:45 AM
You can put +stats on any piece that normally takes that spot for just the regular price, rather than +50% that you'd normally pay to add another property to an existing item. See MIC page 233-234 for the current ruling on that and details of what can be added to where at regular price.

If you can, take Kung Fu Genius (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Kung_Fu_Genius) to use Int instead of Wis for your Swordsage AC bonus and other abilities. I've always been a fan of Quick Reconnoiter in Complete Adventurer when it comes to initiative-boosting feats.

tyckspoon
2010-01-30, 01:14 AM
where can i get my +2 dex if i get gloves of object reading? should I get a higher dex item or is +2 enough for this build? I really want to gain flight somehow and was hoping i could get it through a magic item. is that possible?

Even if your GM rejects the MIC item stacking rules, you can just buy both and swap in the Object Reading when you need to use it. Neither the Object Reading gloves nor the Dex gloves have an attunement period, and you will want to be using them in different situations, so there's no significant obstacle to owning and using both sets when appropriate.

For flight, the DMG offers Wings of Flying and Winged Boots. The Wings are better- cloak slot, 54k, offers command-word flight with unlimited duration- but fairly expensive. The Boots are more limited- 3 instances of the Flight spell lasting up to 5 minutes each- but significantly cheaper (16k). They do have the downside of competing for that slot with a lot of other neat boots, especially if you have the Magic Item Compendium to work with.

retaliation08
2010-01-30, 02:51 PM
i didnt realize flight is so expensive... o well anklets of translocation will do I suppose. is shadow cloak from DoU a good buy?

Darrin
2010-01-30, 03:49 PM
i didnt realize flight is so expensive... o well anklets of translocation will do I suppose. is shadow cloak from DoU a good buy?

Feathered Wings graft (10000 GP, Fiend Folio p. 210) is the cheapest all-day flight item in the game, but if you're not evil it can do Wis damage every day and slowly drive you insane.

Winged Mask (13000 GP, Magic of Faerun p. 168) is also very cheap, but you glow like a light spell whenever you use it, so it's not exactly a sneak-friendly item.

There are quite a few items that offer flight temporarily or for a certain number or uses/hours per day. How much flight do you think you'd need?

retaliation08
2010-01-30, 03:52 PM
1/day really. i get 2/day teleport from anklets, 50ft teleport maneuver, 10ft swift jump maneuver, maybe the shadow claok teleport affect. So i have good mobility, but if i have to be able to fly i just cant.